WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2017, 03:58 PM

Why have my oil pictures more depth on less light?

Hi,

why have my oil paintings (underpainting with over 10 glasses and gum) more depth on less light? When I use a led lamp direct light, then the depth will losea little. Is this when the picture is fresh or some days or weeks old only? The same effect is when I make photos with less light.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2017, 10:24 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Why have my oil pictures more depth on less light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal3
Hi,

why have my oil paintings (underpainting with over 10 glasses and gum) more depth on less light? When I use a led lamp direct light, then the depth will losea little. Is this when the picture is fresh or some days or weeks old only? The same effect is when I make photos with less light.

More darkness (less illumination) often gives the impression of "more depth".

It is all about values. If your paintings consistently appear "better" when viewed under less illumination, then that usually means that you are painting them too light. To counteract this condition, raise the illumination at your easel, because that will automatically force you to paint darker [using darker values]. It'll work.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

I agree with Mr. Martin. I studied twice with portrait painter Daniel Greene, and both times, while discussing light, that working in strong light produced a weak painting, and working in low light made for a strong painting. The implication was that in strong light, our color/values looked too strong making us reduce their strength, and, of course, the opposite in low light. I have found this to be so.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Monterey Bay area, California

Actually, WFM and budigart seem to be saying two different things. It depends on what the OP means by "depth" of color, by which the OP might not have meant "chroma."
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2017, 12:37 PM

Hi,

thank you for your ansered. Yes, I see. When I make full lights on the picture, then the different between dark and light are more different.
But what is with the color self? The brilliant and the depth of the thin color layers self?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I went to look at some of your paintings. It looks like you are using titanium as a mixing white or else that your paints have titanium as a filler. That's why it's chalky like that and that would make the paintings have more depth in low light, because the chalkiness is not so visible then. Use zinc white instead.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 09:04 AM

Hi,

thanks for your information. I think I found the problem self. I had the same problem with faces and skins. Here I do not use any titanium white. So lead and a little zinc white only. It need longer dry time and more layers that this problem solved I see.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2017, 04:38 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada

Mal, I checked out your work - thanks for sharing it. Either your photos turned out low-contrast, or you're using a lot of white in most of your works.

Suggestion: try using less white to achieve your bright colors - there are ways to do this. Also, use darker darks to reinforce the few deepest parts of the painting. It could be black or really any very dark color or mix.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2017, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast

Ideally you should match the light on your canvas / panel as closely as you can to the light that will be shining on the finished painting both in color and intensity.