WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Reply  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 08:15 PM
contumacious contumacious is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,008
 
3 Second Fix for Stuck Childproof Caps

Of all the methods described in this thread over in Oils / Technical....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...8#post21185268

....driving a thumbtack or a screw in my case, through both caps ended up being for me, the easiest and fastest (LESS than 3 seconds!) of all to execute as well as being significantly easier to open later - I did use a short, plated grabber screw in place of the thumbtack since I didn't have any thumbtacks but I think it is actually better and should hold up longer than a thumbtack.

I never would have guessed it just from reading / viewing the info. in that thread alone. The thumbtack method at first glance really seamed like the worst of the bunch but I just HAD to try it. Way better than what I have been using for years - prying off the top cap.
  • Done in seconds (Unless you can't find your grabber screws or screwdriver.)
  • You get to keep the larger diameter cap with a better gripping surface.
  • Still maintains an air tight seal with no leaks through the new (sealed) hole you made in the caps, even when turned upside down while squeezing firmly on the bottle.
  • No pliers needed as is often the case with the too smooth and smaller inner caps once they have dried for a while.
  • No cut fingers on the sharp corners of the inside cap if you didn't remember to get rid of them.
  • I also tried 2 grabber screws for an even stronger fix, adding another 5 seconds to the fix time so plan for extra time if you want to use 2.
Whoever was the first person to come up with that idea shown on YouTube, hats off to them. I thought this was a great tip to have over in the Studio Tips and Framing forum so here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc2xoTuTQT8
Reply With Quote
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 10:03 PM
contumacious contumacious is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,008
 
Re: 3 Second Fix for Stuck Childproof Caps

Update for extra sticky lids.

I have one bottle of alkyd medium that no matter how clean I get the lid and the bottle top it likes to glue itself shut. It was so hard to open today that even with two screws through the lids the screws were twisting as I turned the outer lid.

Fix for this - pop the outer cap off and put some kind of construction glue or hot glue inside the outer cap, then run the two screws through both caps. Rock solid.
Reply With Quote
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2017, 07:44 AM
RaphaelG1's Avatar
RaphaelG1 RaphaelG1 is offline
Veteran Member
Just Outside Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 789
 
Hails from United States
Re: 3 Second Fix for Stuck Childproof Caps

Contumacious.... thanks for this.
Too bad you didn't post this earlier as I suffered a few bruised finger tips trying to jam a screwdriver between the outer and inner child-proof caps.
Thanks again
__________________
Ralph
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2017, 07:33 PM
WFMartin's Avatar
WFMartin WFMartin is offline
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 10,472
 
Hails from United States
Re: 3 Second Fix for Stuck Childproof Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious
Update for extra sticky lids.

I have one bottle of alkyd medium that no matter how clean I get the lid and the bottle top it likes to glue itself shut. It was so hard to open today that even with two screws through the lids the screws were twisting as I turned the outer lid.

Fix for this - pop the outer cap off and put some kind of construction glue or hot glue inside the outer cap, then run the two screws through both caps. Rock solid.

Well, "pop the outer cap off" is the major job that most of us seem to be trying to avoid. Every time I manage to remove the outer cap it is usually in pieces by the time I get it off, and I couldn't possibly put it back on.

I'm truly interested to know how you pop the outer cap off.

I do what Sid Bledsoe recommended in another thread: I break/cut off the outer cap (nearly any way I can), and then I file, or sand down the protruding, objectionable edges that exist on the inner cap. That works very well.

Does this subject ever get anyone thinking just how ridiculous all this is? Some regulation created by some "nanny-state" type of government has dictated that for safety's sake and the protection of children, that caps should be made in such a fashion that children cannot remove them, thus causing them to be totally inacessable to responsible adults . And, by so doing, this regulation has caused normal, responsible people to be forced to devise ways of circumventing such ridiculous design, by literally re-building, and re-designing the caps, so that children actually could open them, if they wanted to.

I just find that amusing.
__________________
wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...www.williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Last edited by WFMartin : 10-05-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2017, 08:38 PM
contumacious contumacious is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,008
 
Re: 3 Second Fix for Stuck Childproof Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFMartin
Well, "pop the outer cap off" is the major job that most of us seem to be trying to avoid. Every time I manage to remove the outer cap it is usually in pieces by the time I get it off, and I couldn't possibly put it back on.

I'm truly interested to know how you pop the outer cap off.

I do what Sid Bledsoe recommended in another thread: I break/cut off the outer cap (nearly any way I can), and then I file, or sand down the protruding, objectionable edges that exist on the inner cap. That works very well.

Does this subject ever get anyone thinking just how ridiculous all this is? Some regulation created by some "nanny-state" type of government has dictated that for safety's sake and the protection of children, that caps should be made in such a fashion that children cannot remove them, thus causing them to be totally inacessable to responsible adults . And, by so doing, this regulation has caused normal, responsible people to be forced to devise ways of circumventing such ridiculous design, by literally re-building, and re-designing the caps, so that children actually could open them, if they wanted to.

I just find that amusing.

I have had the best luck prying the outer cap off while the entire cap is still attached do the bottle. I will either use some channel lock pliers, pulling up or a wide flat bladed screwdriver to pry it up, leveraging against the container.

I think my family is tired of me using that phrase "Nanny State" but yes, I totally agree with you. I read that somewhere (The UK?) a homeowner cannot re-light their furnace or water heater pilot light without breaking the law. Imagine the wait for a government approved person to light your furnace for you in the winter if the gas were shut off temporarily for the entire city?
Reply With Quote
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2017, 11:08 AM
kin3 kin3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 342
 
Re: 3 Second Fix for Stuck Childproof Caps

Why don't they call them what they are, "old people proof".
Reply With Quote
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2017, 12:57 AM
WFMartin's Avatar
WFMartin WFMartin is offline
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 10,472
 
Hails from United States
Re: 3 Second Fix for Stuck Childproof Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kin3
Why don't they call them what they are, "old people proof".

Yeah, that's correct! I used to have to get my KIDS to open those damned containers!
__________________
wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...www.williamfmartin.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 PM.


© 2014 F+W All rights reserved.