WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 03:50 PM
North East England.

Hails from England
Arrow P&I Challenge images September and October 2017

Your references for September and October- with some twists and turns and unusual textures perhaps?
Have fun!

Very few rules! -
  • Pen and Ink
  • Colour and other mediums may also be used but the majority of the work should be Pen and Ink - more than 50% pen and ink work!
  • Any surface!
  • Any size.
  • Any number of entries!
  • You may crop/zoom/use any part , or all, of an image!
  • Post your work in this thread with any relevant information.

Please, do abide by the rules and make sure your pen work is very evident - it is, after all, the PEN and ink forum! Thank you

Meerkat - Pazza

Larger

Stripes - Wthrlady

Larger

Lionfish by Epoh

Larger

Gazebo with bell by Cmwynn

Larger

Staircase, Portugal by impshlady

Larger

Twisted tree by oldrockchick

Larger

Bamboo by ~frangipani~

Larger

Outdoor plant arrangement by arcenciel

Larger

Dramatic Lit Grapes by jocelynsart

Larger

Couple at Lake by mbeckett

Larger

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 09-16-2017 at 09:25 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2017, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast
Greater London

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: P&I Challenge images September and October 2017

Fun selection! I've done three so far, I just need to find the time to take a good photo of them.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2017, 08:41 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Three? Wow! that sounds great!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2017, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast
Greater London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Three? Wow! that sounds great!
More like, "sounds like I've bought a dip pen and having a lot of fun with it!" I managed not to spill *too* much ink.

I love how the indian ink leaves a bit of a texture on the page. Unfortunately it gets flatter after a couple of days. Unsurprisingly, I find it more difficult to manipulate than fineliners, but also a lot more fun. I have a drawing nib and a school nib; the nib holders are old Conte ones (20 year old or so? I had tried calligraphy for a while), with a lever on the side to hold the nib in.

Anyway! First, the stairs. Portugal is now very high on my "want-to-visit" list. Dip pen, Jackson's Indian Ink, Rhodia Webbie. I tried to vary my lines but wasn't very successful. I also found it difficult to decide which direction my hatching should be! Lots of ink on my fingers though.

Zebra: Pentel Pocket Brush, Rhodia Webbie. The Pocket Brush is becoming my go-to tool when I want to chill out and doodle easily.

Dreaded fish of doom. Did you know it was venomous?!? Dip Pen, Jackson's Indian, Webbie.

I might try to do some more, but I'm busy getting ready for Inktober -- basically doing the preliminary sketches, because I've drawn myself into a complex corner.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2017, 12:54 PM
Standerton

Hails from South Africa

Raindrop - All 3are great. The stairs are really well done!
My fish in blue pen, A5, and the meerkat is A4 fine black ball point pen
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Enthusiast
Greater London

Christel, you could stroke that meerkat's fur! I also like your lionfish, and the fact that you added the bubbles, weeds and so on.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2017, 05:26 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Raindrop - those stairs are really good - spiral stairs are often difficult to draw!
(Re the direction of the lines - the only change I'd have made would be to make the riser lines/hatching vertical)....... really do like that drawing though!
The zebra is a lovely loose and fresh sketch ........... that lionfish - oh yes! - a fish with attitude! Caught the character well - nice work.

Christel - what a delightful meerkat - head especially is so well observed ...... good fur too ........ and the lionfish has such an excellent expression - maybe he doesn't like being called venomous by Raindrop!

**My SAA website**
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Standerton

Hails from South Africa

Thanks Raindrop and Maureen. At least the lionfish aren't aggressive - just defensive
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2017, 10:05 AM
in the mountains of northcentral PA

Hails from United States

Raindrop, I really like the looseness of your drawings. Your facility with different types of ink drawing tools is refreshing to see. Well done!

Christel, beautiful work on the meerkat...the head especially is so sensitively drawn. Well captured! I like your choice of blue for the lionfish, and the indications of surroundings/location.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2017, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast

Raindrop- there's lots to admire in your dip pen work there.
Your use of the broken line & differing thicknesses that the dip pen allows is serving you well,looking especially at the spiral staircase.you should push the varied thickness of the line technique further !
It was often taught a hundred or so years ago in the height of P&I that the hatching should be at the exact same angle of the light direction generally speaking, unless it seemed more important to describe the plane on which the shadow had fallen (more occasionally for that though).

Mike.
Tuscanny - As usual - most subtle & sensitive pen work.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2017, 12:50 AM
Standerton

Hails from South Africa

Thanks Theresa and Mike.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2017, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast
Greater London

Thank you all for the lovely comments, and Maureen and Mike for your advice on how to tackle the hatching!

Mike, I really enjoyed discovering line variety, to the point that I now find my fineliners a lot more restricting than I used to.

I've also tried brush and ink on Bristol card, with old random brushes (mostly acrylic and craft brushes -- cheap ones). I loved manipulating the brush, but didn't manage to get a good ink flow. The result was a bit grey, something that'll probably come in handy to do washes. I don't know if I need better brushes or a better ink or both to get a good, consistent black.

Re. the ink: I haven't seen any review of Jackson's Indian ink. It's waterproof, and quite black when used with a dip pen. It feels a bit thick and sticky on my drawing nib, compared to the school nib (which is really wet in comparison). It doesn't "stick" to the brush, and looks a bit diluted, but as I mentioned... crappy brushes.

So far my favourite tool is the brush pen, closely followed by the drawing nib.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2017, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast

THE traditional brush to use with P&I is a sable number 7 , that's the one that the comic inkers got all those delicate flared lines with.
They used highest quality Winsor & Newton (very expensive!) but they knew that if they let India ink dry on them at all it would kill them immediately !
Having said that they valued the spring & responsivness of them & it is often heard that they would have a particular favourite brush that they'd used for over a decade ! - so with care India ink is not a brush killer.
If you've just been using the crappy & inappropriate brushes so far you'll be delighted at the blackness & fineness when using ANY water colour brush I reckon.
Mike
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2017, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Australia

Fantastic drawings raindrop, loose but not messy and well drawn indeed. Those stairs are great.

Beautifully rendered drawings Christel.

I might have a go at a few as well.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2017, 02:53 AM

Hello,

long time lurker, first time poster here. I started just recently, as well as drawing at all.
Please comment !

A4, plain paper, 80g/m2, Staedtler pigment liner 0.3