WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 01:18 PM

Oil painting on plastic and copper panels good?

Hi,

have anybody known of oil painting on plastic panels? Plastic is cheap, life time of hundred of years, light wight and do not change the form. What you think?

Copper is interesting too. Life hundred of years too, do not change the form on more temperaturs but not cheap.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 03:20 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Oil painting on plastic and copper panels good?

Take a look at ACM (Aluminum Composite Material) Panels such as Dibond. They can be found at sign supply shops for the best price, or from signmakers if you can't find a sign supply shop.

They are cheaper than copper and most plastics, lifespan similar to copper. Lighter weight than copper for the same rigidity, more rigid than plastic for the same thickness. Easier to cut than plastic or copper with no saw kerf loss using a steel edge and craft knife to score through the metal on both sides, then fold to separate.

Get the white surfaced ones in 3mm or 4mm thickness. No cradling needed up to 48" with 4mm. For sull 4x8 or 4x10 foot panels you may want to use 6mm. Lightly sand the white primed surface with 400 grit then apply the ground desired. You can increase bonding of your ground by priming with some XIM UMA bonder primer from Rustoleum or some similar UMA product (Urethane Modified Acrylic).
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2017, 04:43 AM

I can't find aluminum panels locally (Seattle). As far as painting on plastic panels - I've seen thin white 4'x8' plastic panel sheets at home depot. They're very flexible - I gave it thought once, but decided against it. If you want to paint on plastic try Yupo - a polypropylene "paper" sold at art stores in sheets and rolls. I've used it for many years - as have others.

Copper would be outrageously expensive.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
I can't find aluminum panels locally (Seattle).
---

There are several sign shops and sign supply shops in Seattle that should all have some kind of ACM panels for you. Grimco.com in Tuckwila being the most likely to have the best price on Max-metal ACM which I believe is their own house brand, but you will need a business license to buy from them.

Take a couple of card tables with you, a craft knife, fine point marker and a 48" or longer steel ruler / straightedge and you can easily cut them in the parking lot to fit in the backseat or trunk if you don't have a truck.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2017, 05:21 PM

To be honest - ACM is too expensive for me at this point. When I get to where I'm selling all(most) that comes off my easel, then I'll try it - as I would just pass the extra cost on.

Right now I'm working on 24"x36" hardboard. I like being able to scrub the heck out of it without worrying about layers underneath coming off which can happen with Yupo.

I did NOT put a coat on the back before I started painting - thought I'd do that after - like I use to do with MTF.... WRONG - the hardboard bent significantly. I've got it screwed down flat now as I'm painting. Hopefully the bend will be (almost) cured when I take it down, and will definitely paint the back then.