WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Upstate New York

Hails from United States
WIP - Happy Apple Daylily

OK, here I go again.

I put aside the drawing of my dog for the moment and started this daylily. It's a lovely red/black named Happy Apple. Here's the photo I'm working off of.

I traced the outer and petal edges but I'm finding it hard to follow the interior mapping I did so I'm working mostly freehand on the details. Here's where I'm at so far, only a couple hours in.

I'm still mapping in the darkest areas, though I also did a little work on the center. I already screwed up one of the stamens and will have to do some careful erasing to recover it. Crap. I'm also at the stage where the next color goes on (Crimson Lake) and I can't quite settle down to it. Second color jitters, lol!

I made a list of the colors I want to use in case I forget but it keeps expanding. I'm using both my old Prismas and a few new Polychromos. The key colors are Black Cherry and Crimson Lake for the petals, with touches of practically every other dark red I own; Dark Cad Yellow (Poly), Dark Chrome Yellow (Poly), Cad Yellow (Poly) and Deco Yellow for the center with some Chartreuse. Haven't decided on the stem colors yet but Yellow Chartreuse and Chartreuse will definitely be 2 of them. This is on 11x14 Strathmore Bristol Vellum paper.

I've been giving thought to a background but I feel the one in the photo is too chaotic and I rather liked the plain background from the rose I did before so I'll probably leave it. I'll be adding a few leaves behind the flower to balance it a bit better. Here's a bigger view of the whole set up, just for fun.

All C&C is gratefully accepted!

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 09:44 AM

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: WIP - Happy Apple Daylily

Ooh, I'm loving this WIP thread already! Fantastic reference photo - lovely rolled/crinkled edge shapes on the petals and gorgeous rich colours...a beautiful picture to work on.

Your setup looks fab and the picture's looking great so far. Love the shading in that rich dark and the golden yellow in the middle.

It will be interesting to see how you get on mixing the Prismas and Polys. There is no Polychromos or Pablo equivalent for Prismacolor Black Cherry or Black Grape, so even I have had to admit defeat and buy those two colours in Prisma.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 12:47 PM
Upstate New York

Hails from United States

Thanks, Claudia. I started shading in the red last night but didn't get too far - I need a better light to work in the evening. I also discovered the red overpowers the dark cherry almost immediately no matter how lightly I apply it. Hmmmm . . .

I'm thinking once I get a base coat of the crimson lake on, I can always go back in with white and burnish up the high-lights. Well, I'll work something out, lol!

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

A beautiful flower. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Upstate New York

Hails from United States

A small update.

I haven't been working on this much lately and may not again for a little while. We lost one of our cats yesterday and I haven't been able to round up much enthusiasm for art. Maybe in a few days.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 05:56 PM

Hails from Germany

I'm very sorry about your cat. The lily looks superb so far.
And never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 02:42 AM
Singapore

Hails from Singapore

Sorry to hear about your cat. I hope you feel a little better soon and will be able to draw again.

Wonderful blocking in of colours. The yellow is really popping off the page already.

My Blog My Website
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 08:01 AM

Hi Sharie. I posted a little message of condolence for Morgan in the chat thread. You must be feeling horrible at the moment.

I hope you feel you can work on your picture again soon. I actually find artwork a relief when I'm feeling down (or anxious), just because it involves concentrating hard on something else. Basic distraction tactic, I guess.

Anyway, I hope you start to feel better soon.

Edited to add: the daylily is looking great, by the way. Coming along nicely.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Upstate New York

Hails from United States

Did a little work on this last night, though not enough to post an update. I had ordered some more Prismacolor blender pencils as I got a dud from the last batch. All it did was crumble so I threw it out. The new blenders showed up last night so I was putting them away and couldn't resist scribbling for a little while.

I found a bargain on Amazon for 6 2-paks for less than $12. Unfortunately, the price has already gone up to $14 but it's still not a bad bargain, if you use the blenders. At least these ones don't crumble!

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Going very well!!!

You've probably worked this one out already, but just in case, before you get your colourless pencils.

Make some short strokes with the most intense yellow/orange you have used in the centre, with a bit of pressure, towards the red - and do the same with the red towards the Y/O. Focus only on moving the pigment. The colour intensity you'll get will be far better than using the colourless...

EDIT - Prismas are fabulous for that!!!

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Upstate New York

Hails from United States

Small update. As I've mentioned, I'm getting really tired of the color red!

Sorry it's a little blurry - my camera battery probably needs charging. The center stamens are complete and took forever. I still need to darken the big petal at the top before I move out to the edges but I'm happy with the results so far. The big petal to the left has been very difficult because I wasn't entirely sure how to get that odd lavender sheen on it. I ended up using a combo of pink and greyed lavender and it seemed to work. Doesn't look exactly like the photo, but it does look like my version of it, lol!

My back has been giving me grief so I can only sit and work for maybe an hour or so before I have to stop. At this rate, I should have this finished by the time I retire!

All C&C welcome!

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2017, 01:38 PM
Oregon

Hails from United States

Wonderful start!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 02:00 AM

It really is looking beautiful Sharie. The time you spent getting the center just right has really paid off - it's glowing and the stamens are crisply picked out.

Sorry to hear your back is troubling you. I guess you just have to make the most of that hour that you can sit. Although I know some pencil artists with back problems have a standing studio set-up, with an upright easel at eye level. Would that be worth trying? I can't imagine working like that myself but apparently one gets used to it quite quickly and it allows those with certain back problems to work for much longer.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Upstate New York

Hails from United States

Thanks, ladies!

Claudia, I've tried the stand-up arrangement at work and it actually makes it worse for me. Thanks for the thought, though. Part of it is my own fault - I tend to hunch up when I'm concentrating which makes my muscles cramp. I try to remember to stop and stretch but you know how it is when the muse strikes - everything else goes out the window and 45 minutes later you can't move!

It's not a big deal really. I just try to get in several short sessions and maybe one long one on the weekends. It might take longer but at least I always have something to work on.

My goal for this weekend will be to finish up the 2 big petals and maybe start blocking in the stem and bud. I'm also starting to experiment with rendering fur. I've discovered an amazing animal artist named Gayle Mason. She mostly does cats and one of her drawings (the one right under the tiger) looks exactly like my black cat, Raven. She has a few tutorials on fur which I liked.

How're your projects going? When do we get to see your finch?

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 04:27 AM

Yeah, I did think you might have tried it already. I think it depends what kind of back injury is the problem. At least you can do regular shorter sessions though, which is actually probably better for you anyway. I know my eyes really suffer when I do more than about half an hour at a time. (And like you, I have to keep correcting my posture to stop myself turning into the hunchback of Notre Dame!)

Great link - the fur on that black cat looks particularly stroke-able! It's really amazing what can be done with coloured pencils in the hands of a really skilled artist.

My current projects are a mixed bag. I finished the goldfinch a while ago but forgot to post it (I will do it now!). I'm currently working on an entomological layout of 5 British Hawk-moths, but I'm not really enjoying it as it requires the magnifying glass all the time and I'm using Bristol vellum, which I think is too toothy for such tiny work. I thought it might be good for the dusty texture of moths, but actually I just can't get crisp lines with it. I'm not sure whether to finish it or abandon it and start something else. I've got a few botanical studies and some more birds at the top of my pile which feel like they'd be more fun!