WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Do you re-use normal boxes to ship paintings etc (rather than buy new)
Yes 3 75.00%
No- I have no option do to size/availability 0 0%
No- I want new for my customers for aesthetic reasons 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 03:23 AM

Hails from United Kingdom
Do you re-use boxes for shipping?

Hi all,

I have on the previous post asked for UK recommendations for box suppliers. However I thought I'd ask how many of you re-use normal boxes rather than buy in so they look nicer for the customer, I'm thinking painting etc?

Thank you in advance!

(I'm looking at Kite packaging for my Bubble wrap in large bubble etc). I need good quality double wall boxes. We get quite a lot from my husbands business I could re-use if people feel its acceptable.

Lou

Last edited by Monoi : 09-04-2017 at 03:45 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States
Re: Do you re-use boxes for shipping?

If I got used boxes that were the right size, I would probably use them if they were in good condition. But I have never received a box in the right size for my paintings. I re-use cardboard from the Blick boxes I get my panels in on the inside of my painting boxes for protection, but otherwise I buy large side-loading boxes for them, plus glassine and big bubble wrap.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

I re-use some for shipping, a few for storage, and a few I cut up and use to paint studies on. I like the middle value of the cardboard color.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 03:45 PM

Hails from United Kingdom

Thank you both!

Good to see you aren't against sending normal boxes out. I have ordered my bubble wrap.

I'm still keen to hear others thoughts

Lou
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Arizona

Hails from United States

If a box is sturdy and in good shape, I reuse it, if not for shipping then for organizing and storing things in the studio/house, including gift wrapping. Anything that's not fit to reuse, goes in the recycling bin. Some boxes are just held together by folding, (maybe a strip of tape you can slice), and you can turn them "inside out" and fold them back up again, so the outside is plain. Recycling is important to me, and many of my buyers. I don't think any of them would object to a perfectly good box being used again. I buy new only if I have to, and sometimes that is how it works out due to shape/size.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I reuse boxes. I've only bought a box once, and that was for my very first sale over the internet. Since then I've been getting them from the supermarket for free. I flatten them and turn them inside out, then I score the sides with a utility knife and I'm able to get a perfect fit.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 03:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Art supplies or amazon type shipping yes.

I won't use anything that ever had any type of food or personal items in them. I have heard of people getting things in reused tampon boxes, cereal boxes, meat boxes. They don't go over well.

Most of mine, though go via new boxes I buy. Not too many large, flat sturdy boxes out there.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

I've had no complaints, then again I never packed in a tampon box.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2017, 08:02 AM

Hails from Germany

Nope I have not used old boxes but this way I could skip our EU package/waste license http://ec.europa.eu/environment/wast...ging/legis.htm

Depends on your country, for Germany you need as business a "Verpackungslizenz" Packaging Ordinance:http://www.ihk-ve-register.de/blob/v...ar_15-data.pdf , if you enter the market with new packaging/wrapping

Same goes for many other EU countrys if you are not a private user.