WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2017, 05:43 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Stitch in Time September 2017

Almost fall. I personally, am looking forward to cooler weather. The summer this year, for me, has been a complete loss. Just as well with all the smoke and heat. I'm just as glad I kind of missed it.

I'm slowly recovering. I'm also looking forward being able to return to my sewing projects.

Hope all as well with all of you.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from New Zealand
Re: Stitch in Time September 2017

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 08:07 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Is this your yarn bombing, selectedgrub? Very cool.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 11:15 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Ah, this is wonderful! What a fun way to welcome in September, selectedgrub!

Hi Debby. Yes, this has been a tough last month for you. We are also getting smoke in the San Francisco area, but I am sure it is nothing to what you have been living with.

I have been jamming (again) on a fiber art - art quilt - deadline. It is actually next week, but I have an appointment with the photographer on Friday. Akk.

I have made progress with the wedding dress. And the table decor. Black Tie for the goats is only a twinkle in my eye.

Speaking of goats, our daughter's small rolling bag was targeted and stolen while she was in France. Though the bus driver was asked to keep an eye on it - literally at the door to the bus - while she dashed (just away 2 minutes) to grab a tour guest from getting on the wrong bus, someone slid up along the bus, nudged aside others and swapped her bag, leaving a decoy bag. 2 computers, personal and work. And 2 of the family goats. She has been distraught. And while colleagues and other guests on the tour have been marvelous, wouldn't you know that the woman who she had to run after is oblivious to her action resulting in such a loss? Amazing. So the son-in-law to be and I have been comforting and trying to work miracles from the other side of the world. Sigh.

These particular goats are getting harder and harder to find. I may need to take up crafting plush goats....

Jen
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2017, 01:03 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Oh no! Not the goats! Making more plush goats would be marvelous. Goats certainly don't like being alone. So lots of them.

I am slowly recovering. Tho' I've still got more ahead of me. The stent has to be removed next week. I'm not recovering as quickly as I did a couple of months ago which is annoying. Then, in 2 weeks, I'm scheduled for an endoscopy to check on my stomach and esophagus. I'm getting tired of doctors (and not so incidentally, doctor bills!) No sewing happening just yet. Ideas are crowding in my head, but no actual work being done.
Save
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2017, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

So august was "difficult" crazy weather, hot and smoky. We also had yard work done, we now have a real fence across the back and I got rid off dad's old car, a 1991 Mazda van to the guy.
I started a yoga class today........ wow I am out of shape.
I sent all the knitting to my daughter and here are the photos:
Her as the unicorn hunter

her boyfriend wearing the dwarven battle bonnet - I think I will have to reduce the eye holes when I am there next month.

And her friend with the purple dino - it was supposed to be a dragon but morphed into a triceratops

oh and a pair of socks
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2017, 05:24 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, you have created such fun knits for everyone. Sorry about the smoke, we were plagued by it also. Getting contractors to get stuff done is great when you can find good people to do the work.

The stent is out. Still have to face the endoscopy. Sewing is still not happening.

DH has gone to night shift and I'm attempting to match his schedule. It's been a real challenge due to the medical issues piling up and the hospital stay. He is on vacation this week. Originally this was a chance to get the last of the fire wood for winter. Seeing as he was paid all his piled up comp time in one lump sum, we purchased the fire wood this year. So, we have a week off. Well, other than the medical procedure.

The weather has suddenly become fall. Temperatures have dropped dramatically and we put an extra blanket on the bed last night. Haven't quite turned on any heat yet, but expect to today or tomorrow since it's not getting even up to 60F during the day and the house will be losing the heat it stored from a couple of days ago when it was still summer.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2017, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Thanks. They were fun to make and I needed "fun". Most of the dino and helmet were done in ER and the hospital while dad was dying.

It turned cold here too. This am it was 1c when I walked the dog. The heat was turned on because it was like around 14 c in the house. 3 days ago it was 28c and the air conditioning was on full blast.

I am sorry you are having health problems. (I missed most of august here so I went back to read before posting)

I started a yoga class yesterday, now I know just how out of shape I am, - my body is complaining loudly but at least I know the reason.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Southern California

Hails from United States

To Debby: I'm wishing you a speedy recovery and hoping you will get back to sewing SOON!

To Selectedgrub: What an inspiring yarn bomb! Those eye-catching colors are just begging to be replicated in a blanket for indoors.

To Jen: How awful that your daughter's bag was stolen!
I hope your art quilt is turning out well (or turned out well, as the case may be).

Lena, you have a real talent for knitting imaginative and unique headwear. Those socks are pretty amazing too. I enjoyed seeing your work.

I'm attempting to get back into my creative pursuits (crocheting, knitting, scrapbooking, painting and mixed media) after the birth of my two-year old daughter. Somehow, those two years went by in a blur, and I didn't get much art or crafting done while she was a baby.

The painting should hopefully be easy enough to accomplish now that my daughter has discovered its joys. It's something we can work on together (in small bursts, as her attention span is short).

I had some old fabric paints from years ago when I used to teach surface design classes. We were getting ready to move, and I figured it was better to use them up rather than throw them away or move them yet AGAIN (we move often). So I brought my daughter outside in the sunshine, gave her some paintbrushes and let her paint on fabric scraps. Now she can't get enough painting; she begs me to let her paint every day and doesn't want to play with her crayons and coloring books any more.

One of my next projects will likely be transforming her painted scraps into potholders to give to my mother-in-law. I also have some new crochet projects in the works (nothing worth sharing yet, but hopefully soon).
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

It is hard when you are looking after someone.
When my daughter was born I had small knitting projects in my purse. I knitted small dolls while she played in the playgrounds. These little 5 inch dolls are some of what I knitted then.

When I was caregiving my mother, I knit lots of socks and other none challenging items.
What I missed during those days was the "flow" of doing art work. One is constantly interrupted so that trance state never happens.

The dino was mostly knit in ER and the hospital before my dad died. It was a nice thick yarn and a simple lace pattern that could be dropped at a moments notice. It also stimulated conversation with the staff.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2017, 06:53 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, I am not looking forward to finding out how bad a shape I'm in when I heal up from all that's been happening. Hope you can continue in spite of the soreness. Those knitted dolls are darling.

Sugarpinkrose, so nice to have you stop by and chat with us. Thank you for your well wishes. Looking forward to seeing your new work, and your daughter's painted pot holders for grandma. So sweet that you can paint even for short times with your little one.

I think I'm finally feeling better. Only I have one more procedure in a couple of days. I've had an endoscopy done before and usually only have a sore throat for a day after. So, hoping all goes well there. I'm looking forward to going into my busy season in better shape now that all this is behind me.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2017, 04:20 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Boy Debbie you have had a bad month. I am so glad that you are healing up and will be able to get back to your sewing.

Well our doctor days are still going on here. I had 2 appts. and Pat had 3 appts in the last week. I think we are done for the next week but the dermologist did 2 biopies on Pat today and froze a couple more places on him so he wo't know until next week if the spots are cancer or not. Me I just have several spots froze with 2 of them being precancers. I will heal just fine and not have to go back for 6 months. Oh and the urologist Pat saw on Thursday last, said he is all healed the the surgery worked so he won't have to go back there for 6 months, unless something else so wrong with the kidneys which we know have stones just hanging in there. Fingers crossed they stay where they are.

I thought I would have a picture ready to show but my camera isn't doing well so it will have to wait. I have finally made a doll dress that I had cut out a month or so ago.

I think I want to work on some quilts. They are easy to make with mostly straight sewing so I should be able to do that. I have lots of fabric to work with but probably not all of it will I be able to use to get the colors all right but we will see.

Hi to all and hopefully I will get on here more. Although it has been 3 days since I even turned the computer on until tonight and it is 12:19 am so I guess it is already the next day. Fell asleep after coming home from the doctor.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2017, 05:44 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, so good to hear from you. I empathize with all the doctor appointments. It's good news that Pat's surgery went well. Don't count on those stones staying put. Look what mine did! Looking forward to seeing what you made. Have fun making quilts.

The doctor only found red and inflamed stomach tissue on the endoscopy. Gave me some stronger acid blocker medicine and I was done. I'm glad there weren't any ulcers or other worries. However, I don't have the best sense of humor and did not at all appreciate the hospital staff trying to be "funny". It took 3 tries this time to insert an IV. The second person and the third try, they cut the ID band off my wrist and had someone go get me a new one. The guy comes in and said, "You're Mary Smith, right?" I've been without food for the last 18 hours, without water for 7, and just got poked, painfully several times. I was not in the mood. Then the doctor performing the procedure was talking to me about medications and such, then said, "OK, we'll be amputating your left big toe." So not in the right frame of mind. That's what gets lawsuits and malpractice stuff. I was so angry when I woke up from the procedure I just wanted to get out of there. My blood pressure kept going up on the monitor. I wish that was the end of it for me for a good long time, but it's not. I have a follow up appointment to schedule. Then, I need to get back to the dentist for some more work in my mouth.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2017, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Tomorrow I fly to Nova Scotia to spend some time with my youngest. I am just about ready.

The new windows are in and most of the stuff is back to where it belongs, it is still a bit smelly but the weather is nice so the new windows are open (the old ones didn't open). I am still sleeping in the spare room because the window beside my bed still reeks too much. I hope when I get back it will be fine.
We were worried about getting the windows so late in the month because last week it snowed but this week it is sunny and warm again.

I need to go out and pick the herbs for drying but I am feeling lazy and sore from moving furniture.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2017, 06:06 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, be safe in your travels and enjoy visiting your youngest. Sorry about smelly windows. Hope they air out before you get back and can be in your own room again.

I am finally feeling much better. I've actually been sewing up a small herd of unicorns. I had made a white unicorn with rainbow mane and tail. Before I got it photographed, someone requested just that. I sold it. Got around to making another and had another request. This time for a yellow unicorn with rainbow mane and tail. I sent a picture of the white one and a question about light or bright yellow. Answer, they wanted the white one. So, I sold it. I just got another custom request for a white unicorn with an aqua mane and tail. Before the conversation was done, I was asked to do a pastel rainbow with aqua replacing green. So, I decided to make 2 of the rainbow unicorns, plus a pastel rainbow unicorn in addition to the custom one with aqua. I really need to get them photographed when they are finished. I've been doing them assembly line style. They are all at the point of stuffing. I'll get a picture when they are all done.