WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2017, 06:52 AM

Self teaching vs Atelier

I like classical art, realism etc, I'm self taught but I want to take my work to a higher level. Most people who seem to achieve that level of classical art have studied at Ateliers etc

My question really is it possible to achieve a high standard of painting and drawing via online courses, books, videos etc?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2017, 03:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Self teaching vs Atelier

What you learn is not passive. You reach out and struggle to catch it. My thought is that it is very difficult to only have one source of material and training. You are often also "marked" by your teachers. That is, your work takes on a kind of fingerprint from the person (or people) who taught you. You can work with multiple people. Either apprenticeships, Ateliers, workshops, chance meetings, conversations, and of course, books and videos. Each time you gain insight, and this shifts into your artwork, you have the imprint of this event in your work. It occurs in a similar way as writers.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2017, 12:39 PM

you know- its very helpfull if some one as an instructor be near to you - for giving you tips and solving youre works problem and there is no Doubts
about this . ok - but if youre so serious to do it in self teaching way

i suggest - for the start and beginner step its better you have a teacher and after that you can use internet and books and ...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2017, 01:42 PM

Hails from Portugal

I have had the same problems. I have some lessons with teachers, they helped me a lot, but now, i realized that i have to learn by solving the problems as i am planning or painting (how is the composition, values, colors etc). We have to make decisions as what happens with other professionals . We, artists, will have to deal with these situations always, i think we learn from these experiences, with sucess and failure. I dont know if i am in the right way, the time will say.