WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Art History Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2017, 09:13 AM

Art And Death. How Many Paintings Could Jackson Pollock Have Made?

Hi all, I have been exploring art history through data. Thought folks here might enjoy my latest post.

https://www.artnome.com/news/2017/8/...lock-have-made

A recent article in Five Thirty Eight does a nice job of giving more background on my project. Feedback welcome!

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...log-the-world/

Thanks!

-Jason
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2017, 01:24 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
Re: Art And Death. How Many Paintings Could Jackson Pollock Have Made?

Quote:
356 of Krasner's 600 artworks (59%) were created between the age of 44 and her passing away at age 75.

Extremely helpful data.

johnemmett.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2017, 01:28 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Halifax, NS

Hails from Canada

Interesting article, though I doubt a statistical approach to the issue is particularly valuable. Sample sizes are just too small, the cultural environment changes too much, etc. Using Schiele's death, for example, is rather pointless - the Spanish flu took lives very quickly, so it wouldn't have had much of an impact on the evolution of his practice (other than to just kill it along with him). On the other hand there is already a significant body of research work with respect to artists in their old age; while Dormandy's Old Masters was this book was moderately well received in the popular literature 15 years ago or so.

As for other life events among us peons, well it seems just about every other artist these days is writing about how this or that effected their art. It does get a little tiresome!

BTW, your link to the "Artnome community" at the bottom of the article is somewhat broken, the Slack page says "This invite link is no longer active./ Please check with the person who shared it with you to see if there's a new link available."

Re. the 538 article; well some people like to create conceptual boxes for everything, and then try and force things into fitting them. One of the real pleasures of art is in breaking those boxes and setting things free. So enjoy your hobby!

Cheers;
Chris
Look for yourself, think for yourself, draw your own conclusions. Then own them.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2017, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback Caldwell and for pointing out the Slack link was broken Apparently it resets every 30 days. New link below if interested in joining the community:

https://join.slack.com/t/artnome/sha...ZjkwMjA3OGUxNg

I would say most folks I talk to would agree with you that a statistical approach to art is not particularly valuable. It actually makes many folks upset. I come at it as an appreciator of art initially just wanted a better public inventory of known works. Now that I have the data it seems natural to play with it and try to learn new things about the art and artists I enjoy. I think a lot of the value may be in the most obvious things, how many works, where are they, what are they made of? Because I am more of an artist than a statistician it is my nature to break boxes, trying to break the "you can't measure art" box at the moment. It's been a fun journey so far. Thanks again for the thoughtful feedback.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 09:38 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Halifax, NS

Hails from Canada

Thanks Artnome. Have you ever read much Nietzsche? You might enjoy the following linked fragment from his The Gay Science, Section 373,"Science" as a prejudice. [the link is to my own blog on blogspot.com; it has a content warning because I do put up nude work there and I don't want to bother with complaints. But other than that, it's safe.] The kicker is in the last sentences:
Quote:
But an essentially mechanical world would be an essentially meaningless world. Assuming that one estimated the value of a piece of music according to how much of it could be counted, calculated, and expressed in formulas: how absurd would such a "scientific" estimation of music be! What would one have comprehended, understood, grasped of it? Nothing, really nothing of what is "music" in it!

Maybe it applies to your thinking, and maybe not. But Nietzsche is always a delightful read. It certainly had a big impact on how I think about art.

There's another article that is also somewhat related that I put up in the first post of the AI Generated Art thread in the Café Guerbois here on WC.

I do like the idea though that you are trying to break the '"you can't measure art" box'. Perhaps because what we can measure stops being important to art, and leaves us even more room to play So I hope I haven't sounded dismissive, and do carry on. FWIW, I was at one time heavily involved in applied math and stats - mostly target detection, tracking, and analysis, with forays into other fields - and often use Bayesian theory as a reasonable metaphor for aspects of aesthetics. So I'm not unsympathetic. But I'd much rather be painting

Cheers;
Chris
Look for yourself, think for yourself, draw your own conclusions. Then own them.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2017, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Hello, Jason.
I suggest you place a link to your art blog in your signature line.