WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Calligraphy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2017, 11:33 PM

What Items to Purchase

Hello! I am fairly new to the ink world and became interested in using it for outlining my drawings and watercolor paintings, but I am having a tough time figuring out where to start. Can anyone recommend a good calligraphy set for beginners? Tips on what to avoid?

Last edited by Traditional : 08-26-2017 at 11:37 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 05:22 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada
Re: What Items to Purchase

It depends on the kind of Calligraphy you want to do.

I would expect you want to draw fine lines for outlining your drawings. A pointed pen (nib) would work well for that. Try the Zebra, Nikko or Tachikawa G nibs. These are fairly stiff in terms of flex and very easy to use. More flexible nibs like the Hunt 101 or 22 are finer and produce wider swells useful for Copperplate or Ornamental Penmanship but require a very light touch.

You will need a holder for the nibs. Straight holder are usually $2-$3 a piece. Nibs are also in the same price range but get a few as they do wear out and are considered consumables.

As for ink, you can try Sumi which is pigmented and some varieties dry waterproof. India ink is also pigmented and waterproof. Walnut ink (available as crystals or in liquid form) is also very good but might not be useful for outlining paintings.

BTW - water colours and/or gouaches can be used as 'ink' too when diluted to the consistency of milk. It can be applied to the nib using a brush.

This is only very general information. Please feel free to ask for clarification where needed.

- Salman

My Blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2017, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Chicagoland

Hails from United States
Re: What Items to Purchase

Salman gave you some good advice. I'll add on to what he has already shared. I would recommend getting a crow quill pen for outlining watercolor paintings. And, unless you have a specific reason for mixing media, I have found that it is best to outline watercolor WITH watercolor. As in all watercolors, if you allow it to dry thoroughly, you can work over it. You cannot work over water-based ink and acrylic or Sumi ink has a sheen to it, so unless that is what you are going for, you might not like the look. If you are looking for a deep black, go for gouache. It is still watercolor based. (you cannot work over gouache, however) Definitely experiment!