WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2017, 12:12 PM

Finding your style

Hi gang.

I've been exploring watercolor painting, started a few months ago and I really enjoy it. I watch a lot of youtube videos and explore instagram and pinterest pics to discover new artists and styles. I've tried replicating different styles, or recreating photographs, some more successful than others. I'm not at the point of selling anything, all just for practice. I would like to sell or at least display my work eventually, but right now I don't have 2 paintings that 'relate' to each other in style or subject. I don't think I have 30 pieces yet, so I know I'm still in the very early stages, but I can't decide what I like doing best. I definitely have 'heroes' in the art world, but I don't want to copy their style.

I know this is a weird thing to complain about, but has anyone been in my situation? Please have a look at my Instagram, thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast
Wickenburg, Arizona

Re: Finding your style

Your "style" will develop automatically as you paint more and more; just like your signature has since you learned to write.

I intentionally changed my style about a year ago, so now I work in two styles.

It will all become clearer with time and practice.

Just keep painting!

Which would be the bigger waste:
your art supplies, or your creative soul?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast
Jacksonville, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Lady
Your "style" will develop automatically as you paint more and more; just like your signature has since you learned to write.

I intentionally changed my style about a year ago, so now I work in two styles.

It will all become clearer with time and practice.

Just keep painting!

She nailed it on the head just enjoy creating and you will look up before too long and see your style clearly before you.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2017, 06:28 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

I wonder why you don't label your work on instagram ... title, size, medium.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_
I wonder why you don't label your work on instagram ... title, size, medium.

la

Thanks for the advice to those above.

As for your question, I see your point. The first 20 (i think) I just numbered, they were just to get my feet wet as I had never painted before. I sort of named them afterwards, but to be honest I've never been a big fan of naming paintings, not sure why. The medium is all watercolor, and the material and size is not something I felt important to the pieces.

If I want to take myself seriously I will take your advice and include that information. Thanks
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2017, 10:14 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongAsMeat
Hi gang.

I've been exploring watercolor painting, started a few months ago and I really enjoy it.
I'm impressed with the progress you have made in just a few months. Nothing improves your ability like painting and painting and painting....Don't stop.

Quote:
I watch a lot of youtube videos and explore instagram and pinterest pics to discover new artists and styles. I've tried replicating different styles, or recreating photographs, some more successful than others.
Most of us started in exactly the same way. Trying to copy someone else's style/composition/subject interpretation...

Quote:
I'm not at the point of selling anything, all just for practice. I would like to sell or at least display my work eventually, but right now I don't have 2 paintings that 'relate' to each other in style or subject.
When I started, I switched genres a often as I started a new painting. Landscapes, Still life, botanicals, even a portrait. Even the great and the good change what they paint over time. Richard Diebenkorn was first noted for his Abstract Expressionist style but many remember him for is figurative paintings. He then switched again to paint his Ocean Park series, a geometric style. So don't be overly concerned about changing style or subject.

Quote:
I don't think I have 30 pieces yet, so I know I'm still in the very early stages, but I can't decide what I like doing best. I definitely have 'heroes' in the art world, but I don't want to copy their style.

I know this is a weird thing to complain about, but has anyone been in my situation? Please have a look at my Instagram, thanks!
I started out in watercolour about 8 years ago. My tutor had us paint copies of watercolour paintings. It only took me about 3 sessions to want something more than painting copies in the style of XYZZY. I to have my own art world heroes and after a short time I came to realize I didn't want to copy their style or subject.

I wanted to know how see how my art heroes saw a great painting when all I could see was the other side of the Thames and Westminster. I studied and painted for maybe 3 more years before I 'discovered' the design of composition. 2 1/2 more years of study and I 'discovered' Ian Robert's book "Mastering Composition".

It was an epiphany for me and allowed me to start designing my own composition and helped me to see a interesting painting in the most mundane subjects.

In closing, one other thing I learned over the past 8 or 9 years is: what works for me may or may not work for you and what became a big influence in my art making, may be insignificant for you.

Just keep painting and studying painting.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2017, 11:12 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Thanks for the advice to those above.

As for your question, I see your point. The first 20 (i think) I just numbered, they were just to get my feet wet as I had never painted before. I sort of named them afterwards, but to be honest I've never been a big fan of naming paintings, not sure why. The medium is all watercolor, and the material and size is not something I felt important to the pieces.

If I want to take myself seriously I will take your advice and include that information. Thanks

Fair enough.
So, not to scare ya, nor push you into something you're not ready for, but there are folks who look for emerging artists, newbie artists like yourself, who seem to have ability [pending fame potential] <- that's a strong term, but bear with me, i'm trying to make the point of - why shoot yourself in the foot.

example:
I'll give you $50 each for the stag and the hammock beach scene.
If they're originals
If they're a standard format size larger than 4x6 and smaller than 16x20
If the photo of the work is not manipulated.
what would you do?

lol, long story short, your work is pretty good - prepare yourself for the possibilities

also, back on topic of style - it's already emerging as 'soft realism' and it's totally okay when you toss a bit of variety in with that, like the colourful critters. some diversity is just fine - encouraged even, at craft/art markets - just not at gallery openings.

and yes, we've all been in this boat you're in they're all just different colors and styles of boats.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek

Last edited by La_ : 08-11-2017 at 11:18 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I paint in oils, and I started about a year ago. I don't have a style so strong as someone such as Van Gogh for example, but I have settled into a way of painting that allows me to express myself the way i want to and maintain continuity throughout my work.

Looking back on how things worked out for me, I would suggest sitting down and really look at some of your favorite artists. Then you need to make a decision. Pick the one you like best and tell yourself "this is how im going to paint".

Once you have made this decision, then your life becomes much simpler because now you know what you want. Now you know which books to read, which videos to watch, which workshops to go to, which subject matter to paint, which materials to use, etc, etc, etc.

Once you are on this path, you will inevitably see your style emerge right before your eyes. You cant hide it, its going to end up showing through one way or another, and if you are very passionate about your work, then i think others will see that.

Anyways, just the best advice I can give under my experience an knowledge. I hope it can point you in the right direction