WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2017, 05:30 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Stitch in Time August 2017

*sigh* I missed starting this thread on the first. But to be fair, nobody has been posting for the last couple of days.

I will add again since it's now the correct month... Happy Birthday Eva

Things have slowed down on the medical and dental front for me. I have a few referrals and some tests after visiting the clinic. This was a follow up with a primary care provider because of the asthma attack from the anesthesia and the urologist insisting I get off the Tums to control my acid reflux. The problem tooth is waiting on a crown to be installed next Friday. Now, I just need my new glasses so I can go back to sewing tiny stitches.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2017, 12:03 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States
Re: Stitch in Time August 2017

Hi Debby!

Happy Birthday Eva

Lena, are you out there somewhere?

Can it REALLY be August? We are having a serious FOG summer, especially the last few weeks. Must be really hot in the California Central Valley.

Yesterday I met with my art quilt group, a workshop on indigo dye. WHAT FUN. I was a good girl and remembered to wear gloves, so even my hands survived. Indigo is such a compelling blue, at least for me. And given the popularity of denim, I think for most of us. I have not yet unwrapped my workshop projects, as they still need to dry and cure. That is one thing I learned: that the color is the best if left to sit for several days. I am sitting on my hands.

Jen
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2017, 02:01 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Hi Jen. I love the blues that indigo creates. I even bought some powdered indigo with the idea that I'd create a dye bath to play with. Unfortunately, I forgot to order the chemicals needed and never got back to it.

I'd rather have fog than smoke. We are inundated with smoke right now. There are 11 or 12 fires in the forests to the east of us in a line north and south. The weather forecast is smoke and air quality alerts. DH and I have pretty much stayed indoors. Unfortunately, he has to go to work tomorrow.

I'm still dealing with the tooth. More work was done on it and now it hurts again. Probably the infection came back. Calling the dentist again tomorrow. *sigh* I'm supposed to get the final crown next Friday, but that may be delayed with the infection.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2017, 03:26 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from New Zealand

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2017, 11:22 AM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

This is a VERY sweet knit doll! What fun. Can you tell us anything more about it?

Hear you on the fog vs smoke. The fear and the challenge of those living out in the hills - fire. I have been far more tuned into these wildfires, since our daughter's sweetie started working on crews - water trucks & Hot Shots. That smoke can linger miles from the fire and be tough to live with.

I took some photos of the indigo - will go add to the thread.

Jen
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2017, 02:52 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Select, that's a sweet doll.

Jen, unfortunately it's a fact of life every summer around here that there are forest fires. Hoping your daughter's sweetie stays safe. We have already had one of the fire fighters die this summer. So sad.

I'm on antibiotics again. I really don't like taking so much of them, but I need this infection to go away. I've been trying to get some sewing done. Finished a replacement stegosaurus and am working on replacing a unicorn. Started sewing the head gusset and realized I forgot to bast the ears in place. I caught it in time to get the ears done.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2017, 05:51 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

oops, Debby, on the ears. Nick of time save. Sometimes don't you just get working away, and space out on something like that? I sure do!

Yes, this fire work is dangerous, as much as what he tells me about the process, and how they strategize. He shared with me the online report of the great tragic loss of an entire (or nearly so) Hot Shot crew, now a few years ago. In it the conclusion was that they broke several of the hard and fast rules, no one being an issue, but altogether becoming fatal. And this work is, like the military and police, command chain, and the culture as well as the rules don't give much room for challenging the lead or officer. Gave me a lot to think about. With changing mores in society, challenging authority is actually often expected, when it warrants. I am rather glad that airplanes are not flown by consensus....
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2017, 04:45 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Jen, that's exactly what it was, just working away. I've done the critters so many times I'm almost on auto-pilot. However, obviously, I need to pay attention. It's good the young man is aware of the safety precautions in his job. I'm just glad that DH opted against it. He was looking to change jobs to fire fighting about 5 or 6 years ago. I didn't tell him not to, but, I'm glad he decided to let that go.

Ok, supposedly, the tooth is fixed. I got the crown today. However, I had to go to the dentist's office in bare feet. This morning pulling the broiler pan out of the oven I tipped the pan enough for the hot grease to spill onto my bare foot. Can't stand anything touching the burn right now. I'm so done with all this. I'm tired of ouchies on top of ouchies. I'm going to just hide in my studio now. I may not get anything done, but I'm not coming out for a few days.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2017, 07:11 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Well I think I have caught up on reading what Debby and Jen that you are doing. Debby, I think you better lock yourself in the studio and not come out until you are completely healed with every thing.

Hi Jen and I love indigo color but have never dyed anything but I bet it would give you some interesting blue hands.

Thank you for the birthday wishes. It was a quiet day. Talked half the morning on the phone with my sister and then in the evening with my oldest son. My daughter was working so she waited until Saturday to call and we talked a long time.

My daughter did tell me that the doctors were glad after 3 years that she was back to work. She hadn't worked since she had the pace maker put in. One of the upper chambers of her heart doesn't work at all any more (virus caused) and one of the lower chambers is starting to flutter. She sees a lot of doctors.

Pat with all his other problems, fell on the stairs at work on Wednesday and banged up his knee. His knee looks like when he was a little kid and fell. His surgery is next Tuesday and he is pretty stressed out but working this week I think will help him. Otherwise he just lays in bed and watches tv.

I did pretty good for my birthday this year. Some fancy cupcakes from a New York baker from daughter. Oldest son sent a audio book. Haven't been able to start it because I have lost the cord to my portable player. I could listen on the computer but I would rather listen while I am in bed. Then I bought myself a set of Red Copper pots and pans. I needed some new ones and after Pat buying the square and round frying pans and loving them I splerged and bought the rest of the set. If you haven't seen them, they are ceramic with a copper non stick coating. They heat up fast and you cook on a medium heat. Nothing sticks ever to them. I have had the two frying pans since Christmas and they are all I use now. Now I need to clean out the cabinets and get rid of all my old pots and pans. This is the first time I have had a complete set of pots and pans that all match. Yeah for me. At 77 years old it is about time.

Well my eye sight is not good today so I hope I haven't made too many mistakes. I was going to go get my meds but I will wait until tomorrow. I had a bad night with lots of pain but have been up most of today so maybe I can sleep tonight and feel better tomorrow so that I can do something.

I will try to get on here more often too. I did cut out a doll dress sometime ago and still haven't opened the sewing machine so I really don't get much done except the house chores and cooking.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2017, 03:22 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, I'm hoping I can stay in the studio a while. Glad you had a nice birthday. Sending you and Pat healing thoughts. Sounds like your daughter needs healing thoughts too. Good to hear from you. Sorry you can't get to sewing like you would like.

I'm still hiding in the studio. DH wouldn't let me in the kitchen at all yesterday and did all the cooking. Today he's at work. I'm being extra careful. I did get my new glasses on Friday, so now I can see to sew. That's what I've been doing this morning, sewing critters.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2017, 08:04 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

I have been busy this past week with Pat. His surgery went well but the next 3 days he was pretty much out of it and talking weird. Could't remember from one minute to the next what he was doing or what was going on. It was scary! They gave him extra drugs when they were doing the surgery and it made him this way. He will have to put that in his records as he may now be allegic to those meds. He has had a lot of surgeries. So all that finally went away and now he is back to work.

Next week it is the dermalogist so both of us have some spots that need to be taken care of. At least that appointment should be easy. We are trying out a new doctor as the old office we were going to has another new doctor who doesn't seem to know much except spray the spots and not really look at any thing. Hate when they do that.

I still have lots of back problems and hope to get back with the doctor for that problem.

Hope you can read this and there are not too many mistakes. The print is very small and I can't see what I am writing. I can't seem to get it larger either. I had it bigger before so don't know what is going on.

Hope this finds all healthy and enjoying life. Debbie did you ever get out of the studio. hahaha
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2017, 02:52 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, glad to hear that Pat is recovering after the scary reaction to the drugs. Sorry your back is giving you fits. Hope you can find some relief soon.

Well, yes, I got out of the studio and into the ER. The large kidney stone in the right kidney decided to move. Thing was 3/8 inch in diameter. Too large to pass, but stuck in the tubing. Had to have another emergency surgery to remove it. Just got home again yesterday and am wiped out. They couldn't find my veins. Well, they found them, they couldn't get a decent blood draw nor an IV installed. I'm nothing but a bunch of bruises. It took 7 tries and 3 different people to get finally get an IV in me. Then the lab couldn't get enough blood for testing. The one lab person fled the room when I began crying as she was poking around. A second lab person came and managed to get a few drops, enough to run the test. The problem was I'd been without water or fluids (no IV) for over 12 hours. I was extremely dehydrated. Now, to recover from this. The urologist wants to run a 24 hour test on me to determine what's happening biochemically in my kidney to see if I can fine tune my diet or have some medicine to help prevent such large kidney stones from forming. I'll be getting on that as soon as I recover from this. Obviously, I've not been sewing.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2017, 10:35 AM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Debby,
Terrible to hear your health news - I hope the recovery has you soon with your sewing in hand!
Jen