WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2017, 01:11 PM

Jullian Easel review

I've owned an original Jullian full-box easel since the mid 90's and it's performed with no issue. I recently decided to buy the half-box version (easel addiction) and wanted to give my thoughts - primarily because the change from French to Chinese labor is usually mentioned with concern every time the topic comes up.

Note that both easels are the "original" top-of-the-line versions and not the cheaper models that Jullian offers.

Overall, the build quality of the new half-box seems to be right on par with the 90's, French built, full-box. The beechwood and hardware seems just as robust. The easel is very stable when set-up and the fit and finish are on par as well.

The only area that seems to have declined is the palette. It is now appears to be a particle board core rather than the solid mahogany on my original. Functionally, it gets the job done just as well but just doesn't have quite the same look and feel.

The storage space was surprisingly small. I carry very little (6 tubes, 6 brushes, 2 knives and some brush soap and that's really all that could fit in the divided drawer. You really have to go light with the half-box.

Overall, I'd probably recommend the full-size box as going to the only slightly smaller half-box costs you dearly in internal storage space.
If you outfit the full box with backpack straps the weight really becomes a non-issue. Plus, the full box does a better job of "protecting" a larger, wet canvas when carrying it back home after painting since the panel can face towards the box without touching it. The half box leaves a lot of of exposed painting surface to the left and right since it's so vertically slender.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Minnesota, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Jullian Easel review

Thank you for sharing your experience with the half-box.

My full-box is still meeting my needs for plein air painting and inside work (still lifes set up in various rooms/settings.) Having switched from oils to casein, I was wondering if I'd need a new easel. But I'm finding that my mahogany palette (which by now is thoroughly impregnated with polymerized linseed oil) works quite well with my casein paint.

A lot of it, I'm sure, is due to familiarity. I've developed work habits with the full-box that would make it difficult to get used to a completely new arrangement. It is heavy - but I consider that a big plus when dealing with winds or uneven terrain.

That said, I am looking for some type of laptop or thumb pochade box. It's on my to-do list to visit the local tobbaconist for some empty cigar boxes. First I'd like to mock up my ideal box and then either make it sturdy enough for regular use or shop around for something that comes close to my design.

Thanks again for your review,
Mary
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2017, 03:22 PM

Thanks Mary. Yes, tough to argue with the full-box.
While I have a number of paint boxes (again the addiction) the two workhorses seem to be the french easel and the 6x8 thumb box. They cover the two ends of the spectrum for me.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2017, 06:04 PM
Minnesota, USA

Hails from United States

Do you have the Guerrilla or the Jullian thumb box? It looks like they both have their merits.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2017, 01:20 PM

Mary,
The 6x8 box I have was a custom version. Just a simple, but sturdy thumb box with a sliding palette, storage underneath and two panel slots in the lid.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2017, 12:12 AM
Enthusiast

Sad to hear about the fiberboard core palette. I have one old palette that came in a french easel set that has a single "lumber" core sheet of maple, plus two layers of maple on top of that. It has held up for over 48 years and is still in use.

As long as you don't break through the laminations on top you should be OK with that fiberboard core. You may want to seal it well with something oil based before you use it to prevent warping from moisture.

I have been searching for sheets of maple plywood that have solid maple cores to make several new palettes. I can't find any locally but there is a product called Apple Ply that might be better than solid maple. I would like to find some to try as a palette but will have to order it and shipping is pretty high for a large sheet.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2017, 09:48 AM
WC! Guide
Peoria, Illinois

Hails from United States

I have both Julian easels, using them initially outside. They require regular health checkups and are subject to humidity unless the wood is well sealed.
The full size is much sturdier but with the added weight. The half easel hardware fell out so much with use that I eventually secured all brackets and screws with epoxy, along with gluing several splits. The lower attachment on both required longer screws to prevent splitting and loosening.

www.KenTiessenArt.com
Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2017, 10:47 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

I attach a piece on Plexiglas (sprayed grey on the back) on my palette. Sometimes I use my French companion if I want more space (also with plexiglass).

I can't upload my images. They are greyed out.