WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2017, 11:33 AM

August 2017: Which POD for prints, posters, mugs, mouse pads and shirts?

I paint. I'm trying to choose a single Print On Demand (POD) provider. I'm in the United States and expect to sell to U.S. customers.

I intend to link from my website to the POD, using it only as a manufacturer and shipper. In other words, I don't rely on folks browsing the POD site to generate any sales for me. The POD is just the "production department" of my art website.

I want to offer the following products for each painting:
  • Inexpensive poster print
  • Giclée art print
  • Mug, mouse pad, stickers
  • T-shirt and sweatshirt
I've been trying to categorize the PODs based on factors such as:
  • Print/product quality
  • Price to the customer
  • Earnings/profit potential for the artist
  • Delivery Cost
After online research for a couple of days my head is spinning. Zazzle, RedBubble, Society6?

Which POD do you suggest, as of August 2017?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2017, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member

Re: August 2017: Which POD for prints, posters, mugs, mouse pads and shirts?

Zazzle, they are the most popular.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2017, 11:42 AM

Anybody else?

Whether a POD is "most popular" isn't important since I don't rely on the POD to generate sales. I generate sales via my website.

I'm trying to sort out the issues discussed in my initial post.

I don't like the way Zazzle makes it possible for buyers to "customize" the artist's work in so many ways. 'Sounds like a recipe for dissatisfied customers and lots of product returns.

Also, as I understand it, Zazzle quality is questionable and their delivery costs are high.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

If you are able to find your own customers I would recommend Imagekind although they only sell prints and wrapped canvas. I never ordered from them but I read that the print quality is good. I especially like them because you can make a nice profit there on a single print sale.

As for zazzle, it's really growing as a POD and I personally had very little returns. You can set your products so that the customer is not able to customize it.

Whatever POD you choose, they all are going to have a high retail price because of the added commission that you get from it. If people weren't willing to pay all the PODs would have gone out of business a long time ago.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webart
If you are able to find your own customers I would recommend Imagekind although they only sell prints and wrapped canvas. I never ordered from them but I read that the print quality is good. I especially like them because you can make a nice profit there on a single print sale.
Thanks very much. I appreciate the suggestion and will look into Imagekind.

Quote:
As for zazzle, it's really growing as a POD and I personally had very little returns. You can set your products so that the customer is not able to customize it.
Good news, in both respects. I will investigate how to limit or block customer modifications.

Quote:
Whatever POD you choose, they all are going to have a high retail price because of the added commission that you get from it. If people weren't willing to pay all the PODs would have gone out of business a long time ago.
You make a good point. Maybe the problem is that I'm just cheap...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2017, 10:26 PM
Wales, UK

Hails from Wales

I have recently set up an online shop with Printful, linked to my website through WooCommerce on Wordpress. The interface is really easy, both on Printful's site, and WooCommerce.
I am waiting for a couple of sample products, so can't advise on the quality yet, but so far I've been impressed with the set up.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2017, 04:03 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

"Inexpensive poster print"

Finding inexpensive poster prints will be a problem when dealing with Print On Demand services. The very nature of POD -- custom printed images, created one-at-a-time upon order -- means the prints can't/won't be inexpensive.

You might check CafePress. Last time I considered opening a shop there, they were producing non-archival, dye-based prints, which I chose not to offer to my buyers. Also, I ordered several sample products from CP and was dissatisfied with the overall quality. That's been several years ago, so maybe they've improved.

Since most POD services probably won't meet your financial plans, have you considered looking for local print services? That might be an option for you.

Best of luck!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xothique
I have recently set up an online shop with Printful, linked to my website through WooCommerce on Wordpress. The interface is really easy, both on Printful's site, and WooCommerce.
I am waiting for a couple of sample products, so can't advise on the quality yet, but so far I've been impressed with the set up.
Sorry to be so long in replying to this. I've been away.

Thank you for the suggestion regarding Printful. Per your suggestion I'm looking into it for printing on shirts.

I watched the video at this URL: https://www.printful.com/

I'm much more comfortable with Printful's approach than with Zazzle's. With printful, the transaction/purchase occurs on my site via STRIPE and I pay Printful to fulfill the order. With Zazzle, the transaction occurs on Zazzle.com and they pay me a fee or commission (a pittance really!)

Thanks for this suggestion.

I don't think Printful makes posters or art prints on paper.

Do you know of a POD for posters and prints who has a similar business model (purchases occurring on MY site, and I pay the POD to fulfill the order)
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSpy
Finding inexpensive poster prints will be a problem when dealing with Print On Demand services. The very nature of POD -- custom printed images, created one-at-a-time upon order -- means the prints can't/won't be inexpensive.
I take your point. In response, I ran a Google search on least expensive POD posters and will spend some time looking through the first couple of pages. Who knows...

Quote:
Since most POD services probably won't meet your financial plans, have you considered looking for local print services? That might be an option for you.
Thanks. I talked with a local shop about giclee prints. In that particular scenario it would be considerably more expensive than using a typical online POD. I probably should talk with other local printers, but am not holding out much hope for lower prices.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2017, 06:12 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I just followed your Google search to a new-looking site called 'printaura'. They offer poster fulfillment and other items. The prices certainly seem lower than any POD site I've used.

Best of luck with your search -- keep us posted! :-)
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I just followed your Google search to a new-looking site called 'printaura'. They offer poster fulfillment and other items. The prices certainly seem lower than any POD site I've used.

Best of luck with your search -- keep us posted! :-)
Is this the site you found? https://printaura.com/

THANK YOU.

I'm tearing my hair out trying to get my website online, and have NO time for anything else right now. So I haven't even gone back and reviewed my own Google search...duh.

Print Aura looks promising and in a day or two (or a week!) I will dive into Print Aura. I will report back with my Print Aura findings.

Thanks, Wendy.

Last edited by ArtMaybe : 10-06-2017 at 11:37 AM.