WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2017, 01:39 PM

Smile Isolation Coat and Varnish - My First Mural

I hope this issue hasn't been addressed elsewhere. I've scoured the other threads but can't seem to find the answer to my question.

I'm closing in on the finish of my first mural, a 1000 sq ft outdoor acrylic piece painted on the stucco wall of our local brewery (in-progress picture attached). After reading the entire sticky Murals thread and every other bit of online advice I could find, I settled on Nova Color paints, and I've been super happy with them. Now as I near completion, I'm trying to finalize my plan for protecting the mural.

In my early readings, I learned a lot about the value of an isolation coat, and had originally planned to use Golden Soft Gel Gloss Medium (diluted, I think 2:1, I'd have to look it back up) and finish with an as-yet-to-be-selected varnish. I've been so happy with my Nova Color paints, I'm inclined to consider their varnish, but everything I read seems to indicate that it is used directly on top of the paint, without any isolation coat. I called Nova, and they were very nice, said that they didn't see any need for an isolation coat (in fact didn't know what I was talking about), and said that their outdoor varnish is made to be applied directly to the wall.

So now I'm not sure what to do. Obviously the cost would be a little friendlier without having to pay for two different protective coatings, but I don't want to jeopardize the long term life of the mural for a little savings. I live in a small town and don't anticipate a huge threat from grafitti. The Nova Color paints can be applied directly on top of the varnish, so if there were a need for touch up, I could just layer on that way.

Has anyone had experience with the Nova Color varnish? Could you point me in the right direction or put my mind at ease?

Thank you in advance for all of your help!

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2017, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Isolation Coat and Varnish - My First Mural

What did you end up using?