WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2017, 06:22 PM
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States
Speaking of background, ...

Hi guys! I'm new on the block.
Here I have an underpainting, admittedly, too colorful, too drab and it is also unbalanced on the left, (as usual) So I think I need a background to help things out. The color too needs direction but I would like to maintain some of the flavor of the pinks in "Pink Lady".
She is derived from a live model, with obvious tweeks to make her dance.
Please destroy me with your harshest critique! I love it.
PatrickName:  PinkLady.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  320.7 KB
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2017, 03:16 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Speaking of background, ...

if anatomy/perspective is important to you her right arm should be shorter and it's shoulder pushed back. one or the other hand could be flipped up vs both flipped downward, for aesthetics.
as for background, it appears to be the beginnings of growth next to water ... you could build that up while still leaving it foggy ... what's the story you're trying to tell tho, what time of day .. what level of reality ... that's what will give you the answers

this is oils, right? what size?

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2017, 11:29 AM
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States

La, hmmm, ...
I'll try to answer your questions, ...
This comp. started from a charcoal from life. I suppose "dance" and "seduction" are a theme here. I should re-title it "The Dancer"
You are right about the arm of course.
I remember the "Pink Lady" (a nude) painted above a tunnel in Maibu canyon in L.A. on a large (20' ?) rock cliff when I was a kid. The city painted her out since she was a distraction to drivers. Too bad. I think Thats a part of the story here.
I'm going to let this one sit for a while until it speaks to me.
Thnx for your critique.
Patrick
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2017, 09:29 PM
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States

I was rather unhappy with the way in which this painting was going. Here then is my second attempt. Still just an underpainting. I think to surround her with sea-birds as she dances along the beach would make her even more lovely. (Am I delusional or what?)
The bottom of her left butt-cheek should come down just a bit, I think.Name:  Dancer.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  226.6 KB
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2017, 07:46 PM
Mississippi Gulf Coast

Hails from United States

Yes, just a bit, and perhaps a slight revision to her cheek/jaw. The hair, in the first, feathered forward as well as back, giving her a frothy-fru-fru ‘do, giving her a playful, dream-like quality that I really liked. I also loved the flowers and buds sprouting from her back! Both versions work well; it just depends on what you want.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2017, 08:18 PM
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks for your supportive comments, guys, but you know it's funny, I have abandoned this piece. Her back has too much sway, her hands are a bit strange, and It all turned into an anatomy review for me. I have moved on to bigger and better things (I hope) but my dream is to be able to create figures from scratch, it has been a hard dream to realize.
Practice makes perfect tho, I suppose.
Patrick
p.s. Here is a current whip, same criteria, invented figure and comosition. I think I need to turn her head a bit.
Name:  SeaNymph.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  85.8 KB