WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > Digital Manipulation Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2017, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from South Africa
Berensluis Brug

(X-Post in Landscape and Photography)

In the past I have not been a great fan of photographic images printed on canvas. However, recently I have been working on quite a few manipulated images that have been given a "painted" look. So I decided to get a box of inkjet canvas sheets and have a go at printing a couple of images. I was surprised at how well they came out! In fact this image received the first prize as an "open print" in our recent camera club competition, in spite of one of the judges being rather anti manipulated images.

This is an image of Berensluis Brug in Amsterdam (although it has been flipped horizontally to improve the composition). The original image was taken on a rather grey day, so the low "sunlight" has been added digitally. The original colours were shifted digitally in Photoshop - in reality the bluish buildings on the left of the image are actually reddish.

I first did one of my "watercolour" jobs in Photoshop, but was not quite happy with the result. I next did a "layer mask painting" job on the photo, but again was not completely happy. Finally I combined these two manipulated images with some judicious masking/blending to get something that I really liked.

Below is a copy of the digital image (rather than a photo of the canvas print - which actually looks better IMO.) This was printed on Harman-by-Hahnemuhle canvas with a printed image size of 440x300 (~ 17"x12").

C&C welcome.

regards - Peter
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2017, 10:57 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States
Re: Berensluis Brug

If it looks half as good on canvas as it does on my screen, you really have a gorgeous print there. The lighting is just breathtaking. Looks like it has the potential of giving goosebumps when viewed. Congratulations, Peter.
Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2017, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from South Africa

Thanks for the comments Lorell!

regards - Peter
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2017, 02:51 AM
Amsterdam

Hails from Netherlands

I like your editing. That is lovely. Great mood!

I know that spot quite well, since I lived and worked in that area for many years. It is a well know view to people living in Amsterdam and the Wester Church is a famous landmark. I don't like to see it flipped. To me it's like you would flip a photo of the Grand Canyon or the statue of liberty.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from South Africa

Thanks for the comments Jeroen.

Flipping the image is always a risk if it is a landmark that will be recognised by the audience. The image was for display at a South African camera club meeting, where few people are likely to notice. If this was to be entered into a European salon, I would probably display it with the correct orientation.

regards - Peter
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2017, 05:30 PM
A Local Legend
eastern coast

Hails from United States

That is quite lovely....I bet it looks great on canvas!!