WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > Photo Equipment and Software
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2017, 03:46 PM

Question Red?

This is very mysterious to me. I have been trying to photograph a painting of a bowl of sour cherries, very red, stop-sign red, not orange. I cannot capture the color! I have tried different lighting, indoors, outdoors. It comes out pinkish or washed out. What could this be?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2017, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Red?

What camera model are you using?

To get a deeper red you might try:
  1. Decreasing the exposure in 1/3 stops until it looks the way you want
  2. Trying a different white balance setting
  3. A combination of both 1 and 2
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 04:17 PM

It sounds like an exposure issue. I'm not really familiar with the algorithms used in auto exposure modes, but I believe they should replicate the human eye. If that's correct, it would tend to cause a predominantly red scene to be overexposed because our eyes are least sensitive to red. The camera assumes a medium gray, so if you have predominantly red it thinks there is less light than there actually is, and increases the exposure. It's the flip side of why a predominantly white scene tends to be underexposed. This is an educated guess. I am assuming the white balance is correct because it sounds like the issue is with the value, not hue. If I am right, the advice provided already about adjusting exposure should work.

meinhardtphoto.com

Last edited by DanielJM : 09-03-2017 at 04:19 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 10:53 PM

Correction

Sorry, I should have said our eyes are much less sensitive to blue and red than to green. We perceive green as brighter than an equal intensity of red. An equal intensity of blue will be perceived as darker than red or green. In the above post I mistakenly said we're least sensitive to red, but should have said blue. Our rods are least sensitive to red, but our red cones are more sensitive than our blue cones. Sorry.

meinhardtphoto.com
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2017, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member
Cheshire U.K.

Hails from United Kingdom

It sounds like a White Balance problem to me. Try different White Balance settings assuming that your camera allows you to do this.
Otherwise I would suggest trying a photo editing piece of software such as Photoshop to enhance your colours.
There is an excellent video on Youtube by Mike Browne entitled "White Balance" which explains how it works.

Last edited by frodron : 09-18-2017 at 03:35 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Westfield NJ

some camera's have to many filters over the sensor and washes out certain colors. like older pocket digi cams can't handle purple, it comes out blue, due to the UV in it, the color is always messed up.

white balance is the next thing, make sure its not on auto, use shadow or i heard if you use a custom white to shoot something slightly blue, it will enhance reds. its good for autumn shots where you don't want to do a lot of editing.

it could be that your camera is dying.

if you have raw, shoot in that and just edit it back.

do you have a sky filter on it? maybe the tint of that is throwing the camera off? and do other colors look odd? purple, green, etc? how about a range of red, like a gradient or different shades on a chart?

---Mike Savad
http://www.MikeSavad.com