WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2017, 12:13 PM

I recently had a LinkedIn connection request from someone saying they're an International Artist Manager from NY. I accepted her request & was then sent a link to 1340art magazine instagram page with a message about her having a contact at said magazine who is looking for artists who are interested in being featured on the mags instagram page. Here is where I'm weary...she says, "they also have a competition for their magazine. You have the chance to be featured in the printed version of the Q4 edition. Considering the level & style of your work I really believe you are eligible. You have to be quick though, their deadline is in 25 days. The link below is included in the message, where it requests paypal submission payments of either $20 or $30.

https://1340art.formstck.com/forms/competitionq4li

Now, I googled 1340art magazine & there seem to be plenty of references to it & the instagram www.instagram.com/1340art also exists. However what I find weird is that when I clicked on the above competition link there weren't any rules or regulations included. This makes me think it's possibly a scam infiltated through LinkedIn. Perhaps I should ask LinkedIn if they know anything??
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2017, 12:41 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: 1340art magazine, possible scam?

The top link did not work for me, I think a typo in it.. formstack -
https://1340art.formstack.com/forms/competitionq4li

https://1340art.formstack.com/forms/instagram
[CALL FOR ENTRIES - Instagram
1340ART IS AN INTERNATIONAL ART MAGAZINE. OUR MISSION IS TO PROVIDE A PLATFORM FOR ARTISTS ALL OVER THE WORLD.

You have been preselected by our editors to be FEATURED on our Instagram page (FREE). If you want us to post your work on our page, please submit your artwork below. ]

I wouldn't send any money for the competition part of it, but submitting for the free Instagram exposure, might be worth it..

Last edited by ~JMW~ : 07-06-2017 at 12:44 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

This is the type of email sent to get $20-$30. There are 1000s of competitions around the world for artists. Some are legitimate, others are scams, most are benign and insignificant. Many competitions exist to lure artists and profit from entry fees. If not a scam, you need to ask yourself if what you are gaining it is worth a $30 gamble. Most competitions are only seen by other artists and the exposure to buyers is limited to non-existent.
If you are interested in entering a competition I would advise to seek one out on your own and find one that fits your artwork.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2017, 01:01 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

If the contact sent you a broken link/with typo , I doubt it is legit..
Did that person even give their name to you?
Seems like a legit contact will give a name - then search on that to see what info is found.. of course they could lie and give a legit person's name , but still be a scammer..
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2017, 02:36 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

I did a couple searches and found only the current edition for sale. No subscriptions, and they give a physical address in Italy.

Let's face it, social media is pretty much free, so having all the accounts doesn't say a lot to me other than they don't spend a lot of money providing their product - whatever it is.

Anything posted online is easy to copy or sell without permission.

Stating deadlines is important, but telling the target he/she should hurry is a big neon sign, and it isn't giving directions to success.

Read and understand any agreement/terms/contract - all of it - before agreeing or signing.

I won't come right out and say this is a scam, but I'd keep my $30 if I were me.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2017, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

It's an online "magazine" that comes out 4 times/year and is allegedly sold in "select" bookstore in NY and like Amsterdam or somewhere. I submitted and got accepted to a couple of similar magazines, which allowed the artists to include a link back to their site. You know how many click backs I got? 1. Since then I have not wasted any money entering any competitions for online "exposure."

Then I ran into an article somewhere (maybe this site) that said that there was not much point in submitting to these online (or even print) magazines where it's pay to play. Collectors know that's what they are.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2017, 04:05 AM
In the middle of a forest :).

Hails from Netherlands

When a brand name online contains a bunch of random numbers and some word, I usually get really suspicious: Phishing emails and bots use the exact same format. Which is why you generally don't see legit companies having names like that.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2017, 10:03 PM

It is a scam. They say the love your work and to submit. Then they follow up with you asking for money for inclusion in their magazine and for 'an art competition'. DO NOT BE FOOLED!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2017, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Arizona

Hails from United States

At best it sounds like a vanity publication. They flatter artists by telling them they've been selected, but it is just spam. You should not pay to display your work in galleries, or publications. Even if it's not a true 'scam' it will be a waste of your money. Given that the majority of these things are just vanity outfits or scams, any legitimate outfit should learn from it as a way NOT to contact artists, and I doubt a really legit one would charge you. I will accept that there are always exceptions to the rule, but in general, treat these things as spam.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2017, 01:25 PM

Glad I found this thread. I very nearly fell for this.

Someone saw my work on Instagram, and commented on it, saying that it was their job to select emerging artists to be featured on their 1340art Instagram page. If interested, I should click the link in their bio. Which I did, and was then presented with a Call For Artists for submissions to their printed magazine... Which I did, and I uploaded a picture.

Today, I received a very promising email, saying that I had been preselected by their jury to go forward to the next and final round of their competition to appear in their magazine.

Alarm bells began to ring when I read "competition". I then had to click on a link, which, you've guessed it, asked me for £30 to enter.

This has come at a very bad time for me at the moment, and my confidence is at rock bottom. I felt that I had finally received some good news. But then I learn that I'm the victim of a scam. It's very unpleasant to have your hopes played with in this way.

I've spent quite a lot of money on competitions this year, National Open Art, etc. and I can't keep doing it. Other people are making more from my art than I am. From now on, if they want my art, they will have to pay for it.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtynine
Glad I found this thread. I very nearly fell for this.

Someone saw my work on Instagram, and commented on it, saying that it was their job to select emerging artists to be featured on their 1340art Instagram page. If interested, I should click the link in their bio. Which I did, and was then presented with a Call For Artists for submissions to their printed magazine... Which I did, and I uploaded a picture.

Today, I received a very promising email, saying that I had been preselected by their jury to go forward to the next and final round of their competition to appear in their magazine.

Alarm bells began to ring when I read "competition". I then had to click on a link, which, you've guessed it, asked me for £30 to enter.

This has come at a very bad time for me at the moment, and my confidence is at rock bottom. I felt that I had finally received some good news. But then I learn that I'm the victim of a scam. It's very unpleasant to have your hopes played with in this way.

I've spent quite a lot of money on competitions this year, National Open Art, etc. and I can't keep doing it. Other people are making more from my art than I am. From now on, if they want my art, they will have to pay for it.
You are in a place and have learned what many of us have been through as artists. Growth doesn't happen without doubt and disappointment. Congratulations, you have become a bit wiser and a bit stronger.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2017, 02:54 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Please don't feel bad about this, thirtynine. I too entered a bunch of competitions and got rejected and decided that it was not worth my money to keep doing it. I felt like geez, is my art really that bad??? At the time I didn't realize that various galleries run these things as a way to just make money and have no intention of every displaying 99% of the entries. Yes, there are legit ones, but I decided I should spend my time working on my own site and spend the money I would have spent on competitions on art supplies instead. You are not at all alone.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2017, 05:39 AM

Many thanks for your replies.

I had already decided not to enter any more legit competitions, but this one seemed different. Very clever the way they snared me in. If I hadn't entered those other competitions, I'm sure I would given them my money.

Another thing they said was that it costs $20 for one image, and $30 for four images. Then it said that you stand a better chance of being selected if you send four images in. Of course it does?!

Yes, good advise, spend the money in other ways.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Enthusiast

It is quite possible to spend a lot of money on jury fees and entry fees for legitimate art shows, competitions and events. This makes it easier for the scammers to blend in with the crowd.

Before I send off my entry fee I ask myself two questions. First have I heard of the event anywhere besides their solicitation? Do they turn up in a quick web search? If the only information out there is their solicitation this is a red flag.

Second, what do I get for my entry or (unlikely) win? I know the level my art is at and am not going to waste my time and money chasing a ten thousand dollar grand prize, I'm not painting at that level. But if all I get is "exposure" and possible publication in an unknown, limited market magazine, that doesn't do me any good either.

Lot's of shows and competitions in my area have a $20-30 entry fee. But I know the shows actually exist because I have been to see them in the past. Some offer prizes, some just offer a chance for work to be seen by potential buyers. What makes me willing to enter is knowing that there is an actual show that people actually attend.

Someone soliciting me out of the blue I am suspicious of.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2017, 06:35 AM

Hi !

I have tried to track down via google maps where 1340 art is located and surprise surprise - both offices are located in such places in Italy and Netherlands, where you cannot check how whole place looks like.

I think it's at least very suspicious.

Also web site itself looks like appearing for first time 1-6.2017, and only two numbers of it's magazine currently exists, which also sounds suspicious.

I would prefer someone telling me is that a scam or not ?