WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2017, 09:24 PM

Learn Encaustic painting Techniques For Beginners

Hi everyone, Welcome my dear Friends,

If you are a professional or a beginner encaustic artist and You want to share Your art works, your how to techniques? you want to ask questions about encaustic medium, techniques , materials, platforms...etc.

This Thread if for you,Please do share only encaustic stuffs and Techniques.

Thank you.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2017, 12:45 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Learn Encaustic painting Techniques For Beginners

Hi Soumiaseddik

Sounds like a great thread. I will throw out a bit about myself just for grins.

I started working in encaustics about 3 years ago now, self taught. I make my own encaustic medium and mix my own paint. I also make some of my own panels to work on including mixing my own encaustic "gesso" from regular acrylic gesso. The largest I have done so far was a pair of 48" x 36" paintings on cradled Baltic birch panels. The smallest, a 6" x 8" cradled birch panel. I usually work between 24" and 36" on the longest side but plan on doing a 48" x 60" soon.

I have sold 5 pieces in the last year and have about ten hanging in various galleries.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2017, 10:11 PM

Hello Dear friend,

So happy that you have loved the idea of this thread, Nice to meet you and I am honored to know you. you are very welcome in this thread and please share with as your work it's with a great pleasure to see all of your artworks.

For me Am just 90% like you i started using the encaustic medium 3 years ago now, i make my own encaustic paints , my own oil paint sticks, i create my own colors......etc, i make all what i am need from scratch(homemade). For me the largest Painting i have do is 48"x 48" and the smallest ones 7"x 7" using the encaustic painting Techniques.

I have never sold any of my work because am here in morocco and the encaustic medium is not known, i have participate to art competition i have won the second price. now am posting videos on youtube my channel named: Vivid canvas

I want really to participate on international exhibitions,galleries and sell my art works but i have no idea about (how can i do to realize my dream?) i will be very grateful if you share with me to your experiences and help me to get a helpful strategies.

Thank you For The Reply.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2017, 10:26 PM

Hello Dear friend,

So happy that you have loved the idea of this thread, Nice to meet you and I am honored to know you. you are very welcome in this thread and please share with as your work it's with a great pleasure to see all of your artworks.

For me Am just 90% like you i started using the encaustic medium 3 years ago now, i make my own encaustic paints , my own oil paint sticks, i create my own colors......etc, i make all what i am need from scratch(homemade). For me the largest Painting i have do is 48"x 48" and the smallest ones 7"x 7" using the encaustic painting Techniques.

I have never sold any of my work because am here in morocco and the encaustic medium is not known, i have participate to art competition i have won the second price. now am posting videos on youtube my channel named: Vivid canvas

I want really to participate on international exhibitions,galleries and sell my art works but i have no idea about (how can i do to realize my dream?) i will be very grateful if you share with me to your experiences and help me to get a helpful strategies.

Thank you For The Reply.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2017, 04:37 PM

Hi
A bit about myself. I have been working in encaustics for a little over a year. During this time I have learned how to make my own paint,encaustic medium, gesso, etc. I also still buy premade materials if I dont have the time to make my own. I use birch panels or encaustibord. I sometimes wrap the panels with canvas or muslin if I want a more A"oil' painting look to my painting. I use a wood burning tool with the enkaustikos hot brushes, encaustic arts drawing tool and painting tool to paint my paintings. I dabble in abstracts but mainly work realistically. I explain my technique in my blog. https://encausticrealism.blogspot.com/
Also if you search this forum you will see some of my work.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2017, 08:37 PM

Thankyou Tredreads and Nice to meet You, Happy to have you here In this Thread. I will check out your Blog, I want to share with you My blog too Hope you will like it :https://vividcanvasen.blogspot.com/. Thank you
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2017, 04:37 PM
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredreads
Hi
A bit about myself. I have been working in encaustics for a little over a year. During this time I have learned how to make my own paint,encaustic medium, gesso, etc. I also still buy premade materials if I dont have the time to make my own. I use birch panels or encaustibord. I sometimes wrap the panels with canvas or muslin if I want a more A"oil' painting look to my painting. I use a wood burning tool with the enkaustikos hot brushes, encaustic arts drawing tool and painting tool to paint my paintings. I dabble in abstracts but mainly work realistically. I explain my technique in my blog. https://encausticrealism.blogspot.com/
Also if you search this forum you will see some of my work.

Wow this is a new interesting technique to me, I'll definitely follow your blog! I found a great guide for the best wood burning tools, can you recommend any off that list or is there something better for a beginner?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2017, 04:41 PM
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumiaseddik
Thankyou Tredreads and Nice to meet You, Happy to have you here In this Thread. I will check out your Blog, I want to share with you My blog too Hope you will like it :https://vividcanvasen.blogspot.com/. Thank you

Great work on your blog as well! I look forward to watching the videos you have shared.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2017, 08:51 PM

The wood burning tool I recommend is the walnut hollow versa tool because its
widely available
inexpensive
has temp control
fits the enkaustikos hot brushes.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2017, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Cambridge, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Has anyone tried working with Master Paste Originals - MPO cold wax encaustic?

I am eager to attempt this medium.

Always celebrate the small successes
to build confidence for tackling life's bigger challenges.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2017, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast

I have not, but they do look interesting. You can make your own that will be similar to those or the Ceracolors, it is called Saponified Wax or Cerra Colla.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Cambridge, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious
I have not, but they do look interesting. You can make your own that will be similar to those or the Ceracolors, it is called Saponified Wax or Cerra Colla.

I think I'll just try out the Master Paste Original since it's made here in Canada. Already used my art supply budget for October and November, so I hope to order some in December to create during my winter hibernation. lol

Always celebrate the small successes
to build confidence for tackling life's bigger challenges.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I actually use Ceracolors to great effect. As a true painting medium they are fabulous.

Just a personal opinion, but if you are trying for the collage, burning, or generally abstract techniques, you are best off with classical hot wax encaustics. If what you want is a vibrant and versatile painting medium for realism or impressionism, Ceracolors is what you want, especially if you work en plein air as I do.

Ceracolors can be built up with their medium to act like encaustics to a degree for impasto. Ceracolors appear to be able to do anything that watercolor or acrylics would do, including photo transfers.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartc
I actually use Ceracolors to great effect. As a true painting medium they are fabulous.

Just a personal opinion, but if you are trying for the collage, burning, or generally abstract techniques, you are best off with classical hot wax encaustics. If what you want is a vibrant and versatile painting medium for realism or impressionism, Ceracolors is what you want, especially if you work en plein air as I do.

Ceracolors can be built up with their medium to act like encaustics to a degree for impasto. Ceracolors appear to be able to do anything that watercolor or acrylics would do, including photo transfers.

Have you ever mixed regular encaustics with the Ceracolors - in layers, not actually blending them together? The possibility of that is what interested me most when I first read about them, but I seem to remember some issues when layering the two since the melting point of the Ceracolors is significantly higher than regular encaustics. What I wanted to do was to start with encaustics then do more controlled brush work with Ceracolors on top. It has been a while but I concluded that it would not work well.

Apparently you can put traditional encaustics on top of Ceracolors without any major worries as long as you fuse them, but the opposite does not work since the under layer of wax would melt well before the top layer of Ceracolors. Is my memory correct that you must fuse for good adhesion when Ceracolors and regular wax interface regardless of the layer order?
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Have you ever mixed regular encaustics with the Ceracolors - in layers, not actually blending them together? The possibility of that is what interested me most when I first read about them, but I seem to remember some issues when layering the two since the melting point of the Ceracolors is significantly higher than regular encaustics. What I wanted to do was to start with encaustics then do more controlled brush work with Ceracolors on top. It has been a while but I concluded that it would not work well.

Apparently you can put traditional encaustics on top of Ceracolors without any major worries as long as you fuse them, but the opposite does not work since the under layer of wax would melt well before the top layer of Ceracolors. Is my memory correct that you must fuse for good adhesion when Ceracolors and regular wax interface regardless of the layer order?
I haven't tried it personally, but I did post that question on Ceracolors (Natural Pigments) forums and George O'Hanlon answered in the negative. YOu can look that up yourself and see what he said.