WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 07:32 AM
A Local Legend
Australia

Hails from Australia
Dancing Beach Babe

I've been doing landscapes these days living in a little country town with no models or life groups, still the figure is my first love so I spent the day on this. The metadata on Procreate tells me it took 6 hours of actual drawing not counting the meal breaks and just looking. It's still taking me a long time to learn the program and to find a new way to draw and paint. All good exercise to ward off alzheimers.

Ipad Pro, apple pencil and of course the Procreate program, 6 hours. 32"X24"
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 07:34 AM
A Local Legend
Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Dancing Beach Babe

It doesn't need a butt icon can someone fix this please I tried to upload it without but the system put it in!

Last edited by bethanyt : 06-26-2017 at 04:29 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 04:03 PM
Surrey, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Bill, I removed the butt icon. I've never had much success with iPad drawing as I found the lag in programs off putting. Having said that it was a long time ago and things have got faster and I imagine the Apple Pencil must make things a bit easier.

Blog Gallery
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 07:47 PM
A Local Legend
Australia

Hails from Australia
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Dancing Beach Babe

Thanks Nathan, how can I post in future without getting the butt icon award?

The apple pencil is just like natural media there is no lag when drawing except the first instant it touches the screen its like it wakes up the Ipad after that all normal except for the slippery feel. With the Procreate program you not only have a portable sketchbook you also have an art store on hand as well as a studio you can do almost anything if you know how.

I have fumbled and dropped it a few times on the tiled floor and it still works unlike dropping those graphite sticks and seeing them break apart or the pencils that would break the lead inside. At $145 it better be unbreakable.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 09:12 PM

Lovely drawing!

I can't comment on using iPad for figures sketching/drawing as I don't own one, although I do use the Wacom Intous pad for work.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 03:26 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Thought you had moved inland to get away from the temptations of the beach Bill.
Some subtle mark making with the new technology.

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 04:32 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

You have achieved some movement with this sketch- I like it a lot.
I would love to play around with that technology, Bill... have to sell a few more paintings!
When you are starting a new thread- there is an option at the bottom of the page to have "No icon" if you choose. Then there will be no butt icon.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 05:37 AM
A Local Legend
Australia

Hails from Australia

Thanks Constance, should be a piece of cake for you if you know how tablets, programs and styli work although I imagine after using them all week you would rather use different media.

Dave, no chickens were harmed in doing this drawing but they did leave a lot of scratches. I love the beach its the sun that is the problem for me.

Thanks Bethany, I like awkward poses usually children are great for that because they seem to be more clumsy or flexible than adults. She was enjoying herself dancing around so I have more photos to work from.

It takes some getting used to if you are going to use all the bells and whistles I started off trying to mimic natural media but now that I have looked under the hood and reflecting on my own struggles with it I am beginning to realise it would be a shame to be locked into that narrow mindset. I hear the dark side of digital calling me.

I thought I did click on the "no icon" perhaps when I reviewed my post it defaulted back?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 08:41 PM
Rhode Island

Hails from United States

Nice work Bill. I've fooled around with a Wacom Intuos and photoshop. A real tough learning curve especially trying to get used to drawing on the tablet and looking at the screen. Not an issue with an I Pad.
There are a lot of good reasons to work digitally now that the technology allows for effects very similar to non digital media. I would imagine a professional artist would find it very useful once acclimated.

I wonder, does digital art sell? Obviously there are a ton of digital artists out there, working in film, animation, graphic novels, etc.. But I'm more curios about more traditional art that someone might hang in their home. I assume it would be similar to buying prints of originals. But with digital art there is no original. Only a bunch of 1's and 0's on your computer.

Pro's and con's to everything I guess.

Nice job on it. She looks like she was having a good time.

Instagram: @Mike_Art_Attack
C & C is always highly appreciated!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 08:56 PM
Rhode Island

Hails from United States

Hey Bill,

I had posted a lengthy reply earlier, touching on the pro's and con's of digital art. For some reason it did not post, and I don't remember half of what I said. lol.

Hopefully it will just magically pop up.

But either way nice job on it. She looks like she was having a lot of fun!

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 11:48 PM
A Local Legend
Australia

Hails from Australia
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Dancing Beach Babe

Thanks Mike, she was jumping around enjoying herself with a big toothy grin but I have never ever drawn a model in life class that had a smile because the smiling muscles cannot be tensed for long it never feels natural to me and so I put a hint of it in the eyes maybe.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the pros and cons of digital art.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2017, 04:29 PM
Rhode Island

Hails from United States

Bill,
It was more like I was asking what you thought of the Pro's and Con's. Sorry maybe I didn't word it well.

But, as I assumed it looks like my original post has magically appeared. Please refer to my post previous to my last. lol.

Thanks!

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2017, 05:33 AM
A Local Legend
Australia

Hails from Australia

It's too early for me to make a list of pros and cons it feels like Pandora's box for example each brush has a possible 38 changes you can make. I have gone through them a couple of times making my own brushes and it's too much at times for me to remember or understand. That kind of complexity is way more than you would find in natural media. I feel like I'm starting art all over again. It's good I have the art training as background so I don't have to learn that as well as the program. Its in discovering the tools and uses that are popping my eyes this is powerful magic!

Some negatives,
you don't learn how to mix and match colours which I think is an important skill for a painter, tints and shades, complementries, harmonies etc are acquired skills which enrich a painters life. It's all part of procedural memory it's something that's has to be experienced. The colour picker doesn't seem to give the artist that although it can give you more colours than you will ever need.

It's easy to slip a photo in, reduce the opacity and trace it on a new layer while I don't mind students tracing photos to see outlines as an eye opening tool but to use it as part of one's working process is to rob yourself of learning to measure by eye a rare skill even in today's natural media artists. And I can see how that can devalue digital art in some eyes as just photo manipulation as opposed to the eye / hand skill of a traditional artist.

Everyone I show the digital art to ask about turning it into an object like a print I have more than enough drawings and paintings taking up physical space and am quite happy to let them exist in 1 and 0's in memory or cyberspace like wetcanvas. There are markets for prints even online and you could do a limited edition and destroy the source image to up the value. Maybe in the future when I know what I'm doing I'll look into it.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2017, 10:18 PM
Rhode Island

Hails from United States

Thanks for the response Bill,
A lot of good points to think about.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2017, 12:51 AM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

This is very nice Bill ... question .. how did you make it that large doing on iPad... im probably not understanding !!!

Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success