WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 07:17 AM
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Hi WC

You self taught artists may find this post useful:

7 Tips For The Self Taught Artist

Cheers
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2017, 01:46 AM

Re: Tips for self taught artists

Did you write that? It's a good article and I agree with a lot of it especially the part about documenting everything you draw. I'm doing that and it's a hassle but worth it. Your paintings are great btw.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2017, 12:37 PM
Tyne and Wear, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Thanks for that!

C's C's and C's welcome! (C= compliments, C= comments, C= criticism)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2017, 05:39 PM
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Thanks! Yes it is my article / website. Just a humble website trying to help people start practising art.

Regards

Dan
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2017, 07:58 PM
SE USA

Hails from United States

Hi Dan - I just read your article and think you have some great tips. As a (mostly) self taught artist, I appreciate them very much. Thank you!

btw: You might want to double-check the spelling you have of Paul Gauguin's name in there.

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2017, 04:58 AM
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Thanks for the kind words Terriks and the heads up on Paul's name! I will change now.

Dan
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2017, 08:48 PM
WC! Guide
Illinois

Hails from United States

Good advice!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2017, 12:32 PM
Romeoville, Illinois

Hails from United States
Re: Tips for self taught artists - own worst critic

Hi - thanks for posting that article! I just have a comment about the first point "Be Your Own Worst Critic". I think some artists (I speak from experience !) are our own worst critics already.

I have an irrational fear of posting my work, because so much of what I see is so beautiful and creative and imaginative - I don't feel my work holds up.

Does anyone else feel they are their own worst critic?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2017, 08:12 PM

Re: Tips for self taught artists - own worst critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaow
so much of what I see is so beautiful and creative and imaginative
Perhaps it's because you're looking at it for the first time and know nothing of the path it took while being created? Even the pictures in a detailed WIP thread don't tell you the artist's thoughts and opinion at each stage of the process.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2017, 02:07 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I left a fairly good art school because of what I perceived as trying too much to influence my art. There is quite a difference in "Academic" art, as opposed to just experimenting and doing your own thing. I think that in that case "Art School" is useless unless you wish to teach, and what you are teaching is actually only one "version," of art-- that which Academia has blessed.

Not that I do not appreciate the idea of education, but education is a loaded word. Educators are compelled to restrict their ideas and views. They must "publish or die," they are fairly conservative, and want to keep their jobs so they take few risks. -- I mean, that is the reality. They also want to continue looking good to their superiors-- so this is another reason to toe the party line so to speak.

In a way, formal education does not teach as much as mythologized. Technique is taught, but often on a level that is relative to the interest of the student. So they will show you how to cut an etching plate, burnish the edges, use the acid, use the press, but the actual art is not part of the training. They want you to use the process as perfectly as possible: getting the deepest blacks, or the perfect gradations or whatever you are studying at the moment. But the style and the subject matter is up to the student.

So, in a way, you do not even really learn "ART" at Art school, you learn the mechanics of techniques. You learn "good practice" of a skill. You learn how to use tools.

So all artists are self-taught even when they go to art school because so much of the development of technique and style is by personal dedication, will, and influences that you choose (or you are forced to use).

In the same way, if you go to get a BFA in creative writing, no one really cares about the story you are writing-- they want to see a good use of technique. (I moved from art school to writing school-- not that it is obvious from some of my writing.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2017, 01:24 AM
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Very interesting comments thanks all!