WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France
Beginning's Journal or Learning Follow-up

I have started watercolour’s classes 3 weeks ago. I have had my third lessonyesterday.

With the watercolour classes, I am learning the notion of values, composition.
I have a depth perception trouble, ergo perspective is a laborious, and difficult thing to me. I tend to "neglect" proportions, as well.

Anyhow, this is my Beginnings Journal / Follow-up, whatever you prefer to name it. I try to make something everyday. Sometimes my pains will not allow me do it, sometimes my will is not there. But I try.

I consider all of these sketches, watercolours, doodlings, and so to be just watchable. I am a perfectionist who is aware that perfection will never be achievable. Nevertheless, I can only see what is not well, in all I have done,so far. I will certainly learn, at some point, to pay attention to what I didwell, too.

My aim, with this thread is to learn from your comments. Thank you very much for taking the time.

My first watercolour – Holbein Watercolour painting – Boesner (french shop brand) watercolour paper

Two variations on Lokhta paper (Tibet. Not an easy paper), and Holbein watercolour painting

Sketches of Oporto, and Doha. Moleskine Watercolour Paper – Windsor & Newton watercolour painting.

All the following exercises were made on Khadi paper (cotton ragindianmade paper. Does not like to be too wet), using Holbein, Windsor & Newton, and Daler Rowney watercolour painting.

From yesterday’s class – ClairefontaineCold Pressed paper, and Rembrandt watercolour paintings.

Last edited by provenceaquarelle : 06-24-2017 at 03:58 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2017, 05:12 PM
A WC! Legend
Ontario, West of Toronto

Hails from Canada
Re: Beginning's Journal or Learning Follow-up

Hi Maria!!!! my very first advice to you would be to use the same paper for all of your trials and paintings because each paper acts differently to water and paint and it will be very hard for you to learn the proper ratio of water to paint since some papers let the water sit on top and some soak it right in.

I don't know if you can get Arches 140 cold pressed paper there, if not use Winsor Newton 140 cold pressed, both very reliable papers.

My second advice would be to get yourself a mat to place in front of the painting when you stop to see what how you are doing. You'll be amazed how much better a painting looks with it.

Yes, perspective is hard

Considering you have only painted such a short time you have made big strides already. Good job on the forest, water and reflections.

Love your village and city scapes.

The paint seems a bit thick on the first two fruit paintings and when you put a cast shadow you need to bring some of the fruit colour into the gray, especially near the fruit.

Love your last fruit painting!!

Well done and keep going!!!

Uschi

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2017, 05:23 PM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

Thank you so much for all your advices, Uschi.

What is a mat? Do you mean a kind of a grid square? Or a view catcher?

The Clairefontaine paper, and the Boesner are the one I use for classes. They are A4 size.

The others are my watercolour books - B5 and A6, and I like using them. Also they helpe for proportion, and reducing a scene. But will try to use them less.

I don't have Arches. But have Galatea, and another one (I have to see what it is). I shall try to use these for my exercises.

Last edited by provenceaquarelle : 06-24-2017 at 05:29 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2017, 05:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Southern Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

A great start Maria! Especially like the lemon, and the small one of Oporto, you got some of the shadows on the shaded sides of the buildings. As Uschi said, a little colour of the object, in this case yellow, with the grey of the shadow is good. I do agree that using the same paper will help you to learn faster. All of us have some learning to do when we switch papers, even when experienced.

Keep them coming!

"Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 03:58 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

A mat is a cardboard mount with an aperture for the painting. Putting a mat around the painting isolates it and usually improves the look tremendously. Try taping a border around your paper before painting to leave a white border. You could even get a larger piece of watercolour paper and divide it into painting areas with tape before you start.

I find the river scenes a bit disconcerting when they haven't got a level surface in the distance.

Doug
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 05:35 AM
Ohio

Hails from United States

An excellent start. Since you have problems with perspective and depth, you might want to skip those type of paintings and deal with the flowers, fruit, still life - which you've shown you do so well. As your painting skills improve, you can tackle the more difficult paintings.

The small sketch of the yellow buildings is my favorite here.

my website: www.janpastor.com
Jan Pastor on YouTube
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 09:07 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

The boat and the trees are gorgeous! I love the one with the buildings that looks unfinished, it is really a neat sketch! Love the juicy lemons. I think a different color background like green or blue would have enhanced the beautiful flowers.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

Thank you all for your comments, and advices.

Linda, I hate that orange colour for the background of the flowers. I think it takes away some of the flower's fragility. The teacher made us all use orange - she is somewhat authoritarian, and does not let much to liberty of expression. She also has these stopped truths, which belong only to her: animal fur brushes (I refuse to use them) are the only ones she thinks can do correct watercolours. I use Escoda Ultimo, synthetic travel set. They are extremely well done, and perfomant. She never tried this quality of synthetic brushes, but says synthetics are not good!!!
I am trying to find a colour that would really please me more, and will change the background.

One detail I forgot: all was done using a waterbrush.
Only the landscape (first watercolour), and the flowers we made using Escoda Ultimo #12, 10 and 4.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 11:12 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Hi Maria! You're certainly off to a great start! Your sketches on the moleskin are excellent. Like the others, I do feel as though you'd benefit from working on a single type of paper. Arches is a good choice because it has a very nice *hard* surface due to the good quality of its sizing.

Unfortunately, your Teacher doesn't seem to be teaching, but leading you down her own path. Take from her what works in your own process and the chock up the rest to what you know isn't right for your work. It's a shame...

My advice to my Students is that the background is just that... back.ground. Using colours that draw attention changes the nature of the depth of field, flattening it out.

I also feel that focusing on those subjects you love and practicing them will begin to strengthen you skills in all techniques.

Mostly... have fun!

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharM
Unfortunately, your Teacher doesn't seem to be teaching, but leading you down her own path. Take from her what works in your own process and the chock up the rest to what you know isn't right for your work. It's a shame...

I absolutely agree with you, Char.
The thing is, she is determined that at the end of the class (1h30), every one of us will leave with a finished painting.
We are 4, which should allow us to have an excellent teaching. Well, it is not the case.
I am quite frustated because I don't mind if I end the class with an unfinished painting, as long as I have understood the technics, what I am doing, and that the ensemble meets my aesthetical criteria (which is not the case for the flowers).But I am the sole leave in the tree. They all know eachother, and what they want is to spend a moment, not alone, and doing somehing pleasant. Which is fine by me, but I believe a teacher has to meat, more or less, the students expectations - some have more, others have less. The ones compensate for the others.
Bt, I don't want to make waves, neither, otherwise there will be a confrontational atmosphere, and that is not good to anyone.

You must know that where I live,it is a very prized region, and extremely, extremely expensive. All is expensive. To show you the degree of it:
Some years ago a group of artists made tiny hermetically closed cans. They were labeled LUBERON'S AIR, and they sold them at 20€ (expensive, of course);

My financial possibilities do not allow me to offer myself another teacher (and there are not many, where I live), for the moment. I shall take all I can of what she can give me, that I don't know, will put aside what I don't agree with (I shall never allow for her to chose a colour that has nothing to do with me), and when I will need to have an upgraded teaching, I will ponder about it, when the time comes.

Edit -In the meantime, I am extremely grateful to all of you, members of the WC, who encourage me, correct me, advise me, and thus helping me growing as a futur watercolourist.

Re-edit:Today, just did 2 small sketches.

Last edited by provenceaquarelle : 06-25-2017 at 12:05 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 08:10 PM

Hails from United Kingdom

Your sketches are lovely!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2017, 04:34 AM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

Thank you, Que Sera. You are too kind.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Upstate New York

Hails from United States

I think you have a great attitude about your less-than-helpful teacher - take what you can and ignore the rest. Like the orange background - you might not like the color but you learned how to do it. Next time, pick your own colors!

I like your latest sketches very much. The building on the hill where the colors made the ink bleed a little is wonderful!

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2017, 03:03 AM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

Thank you, Sharie
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2017, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

Yesterday I went to Arles, to see Annie Leibovitz's exhibit, for the second time.
The event takes place at the Luma Foundation. The building was designed by Franck Gehry, and is still Under contruction (and for a good moment still, I think).
I have made some photos with my photo, and have no idea where the cord is. I had to make photos I my photos Sketching is complicated I still have trouble with perspective, and angles, but little by little, I will get over it.