WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Legal Corner
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 08:14 PM
USA

Question hiya, new here, question about photos for artwork

I have an question what types of photos I can use safely?
My camera?
Internet?
Magazines?
Etc

Thank you
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 09:24 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States
Re: hiya, new here, question about photos for artwork

Your own usually. Our own reference image library on our home page is available for use that members have generously contributed to over the years. The Internet has some copyright free photo sites. Two that I am a contributor are morguefile.com and Paint My Photo. Welcome to WetCanvas!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 10:24 PM
USA

Wonderful response thanks
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2017, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Arizona

Hails from United States

Your own is definitely best, for two reasons. One is that you were there to take it, so you observed the subject and will remember more when you go to paint. Your mind can then correct things like camera distortion or obscured details. The second is that you won't have to track down the photographer for permission or worry about someone accusing you of copying, and perhaps getting your art removed from your site.

Avoid images you find online UNLESS you get permission from the real owner, or the image truly is in the public domain (so old that copyright expired or never existed is one reason it might be in the public domain). There are sites that claim the images they offer are free/public domain but many are offering stolen images, and some of the really bad ones infect viewers' computers. This site is good for dispelling myths as well as helping people find actual public domain images to work from: http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/10...ic-domain.html

If artists really have to look at online images for reference, they can look at lots of different images for general things like colors, proportions, etc, and not make a close copy of anything. Make your own composition.

Ideally, sketch from LIFE. That's the way you learn and remember things the best of all. Lots of sketches and your own reference photos to finish up back at the studio. I've found many photographers who, if asked, gave me permission, but I still like to observe and sketch from life, there's nothing quite like it.