WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 02:56 AM

illustrating for childrens book

I've been contracted to illustrate for a childrens book and I can't wait to start. Its very new to me..I draw and paint but this is a new field and Im looking for some guidance.
I'm curious to know how others handle drawing children or people in different poses/situations ..I'd love to have live models to pose all day, but thats out of the question and of course you cannot grab photos off of the internet ..are there any book illustrators in here? Also as far as material, I'm assuming the copic markers would make the crispest and most brilliant color.

I would love to get some feedback..thank you!!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 06:03 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: illustrating for childrens book

I have seen other members who illustrate children's books. I'll do a search...

This thread may help.

Here's another
And another.

Hit Search and search for children's book

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 08:14 AM

Awesome Doug! Thank you
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 08:41 AM
New England

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlambson
I've been contracted to illustrate for a childrens book and I can't wait to start. Its very new to me..I draw and paint but this is a new field and Im looking for some guidance.
I'm curious to know how others handle drawing children or people in different poses/situations ..I'd love to have live models to pose all day, but thats out of the question and of course you cannot grab photos off of the internet ..are there any book illustrators in here? Also as far as material, I'm assuming the copic markers would make the crispest and most brilliant color.

Good morning! I'm an illustrator & designer, and have done a bit of work in the children's market. Happy to help if I can.

As for poses of people, there's lots of references on the web, but for children, if you have friends or family with kids, ask them to have the kids pose for reference photos. Kids love to be part of the process, plus, you can have those same kids view your work to get true feedback (not adult feedback) on how successful your artwork is with kids.

I have a good set of Copic markers, but to be honest, I rarely use them except for deep accents in my watercolor or pencil work. The colors are very intense and unless you're really good with them and understand their nature, then they can pose unexpected challenges.

My preference is pen & ink, watercolor, and colored pencil for traditional media. I also use Photoshop to do digital illustration, as well as, Procreate for the iPad, which has some great tools.

Good luck and if I can help further, I'm happy to! Cheers!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:

Learn anatomy for artists adn you then can learn to draw any human from any pose you like. One an advice where start? Search For this guy videos on youtube (and later if you wish more detail the paid versions) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDgyQjNFVQk

anatomy is helpful even when drawing simplified for children, because when you understand what was supposed to be there you can enhance or omit while conscious of it.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 01:02 PM
Edinburgh

Hails from Scotland

It really depends what you're going for. What style are you going to be drawing in? Is it cartoon or lifelike? Proportions are pretty basic and you can get away with a hell of a lot if it's cartoony stuff. If it's real life, why not grab a friend and their kid for reference? PJ Lynch photographs himself and his own kids for reference. Or just buy a reference book and copy from that like Vetrriano did.

As far as colour goes, I'd never use anything other than watercolour/gouache and colour pencil as these are mediums I'm very comfortable with and I know what to expect in terms of colour, how much I can work the paper etc

Christopher
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2017, 12:15 PM

All great helps..thank you every one for your input.

A good laugh and a long sleep are the two best cures for anything. :Irish Proverb
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2017, 12:13 AM
Salt Lake City, UT

Hails from United States

I worked on illustrating a children's book once and in order to get kids of the right age and proportion I decided I needed some study from life with various kids. So I went to a nearby elementary school in the most above ground way possible and went to the office. I asked if there would be any teachers willing to trade sketch time for a lesson on art with their students. Fortunately, the office staff was very nice and put me in touch with one of the teachers and everything worked out splendidly.

Make sure you're prepared when you go in if it works out. Try to be as unobtrusive as possible when you're doing studies and then if you teach a lesson make sure you have a topic and plan and everything. Maybe discuss with the teacher ahead of time what would be good to cover.

Other options for chances to study from life might involve going to parks or zoos where there are kids and drawing there. Work quick and focus on anatomy and pose.

Also, it's probably good to remember that the main thing about kids' anatomy is that their heads are way bigger in proportion to their bodies than adults are.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2017, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast
Lake Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

I have worked with one children’s book author that involved a set of twelve illustrations. It was due to the author choosing to go outside the publishing company to save money on the cost of illustrations. For me it was an exercise in “learning as you go”. I made a lot of mistakes in those illustrations, but I really learned quite a bit, as well. I have since published some illustrations on my own that were much better than the initial try at illustrating, in my humble opinion.
My advice would be to practice, practice, and practice some more on illustrating your characters before placing them in your book scene. Practice illustrating them in different poses and at different angles. Your characters will appear over and over again in your book, so they must be recognizable as being one and the same in every scene. There a lot of reference material at your library or on the internet concerning human or animal anatomy.
As far as which medium to use, I would suggest to use the one that you are the most comfortable with and keep it simple. I chose watercolors as that is what worked for me, but lots of illustrators use markers for color impact . Good luck, and have fun with the challenge.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2017, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:

drawing the human figure without reference is a field of its own. There is a classical path for learning that. (You will find examples int he figure drawing subforum). It goes by drawing a gesture or rythm of the pose, then the structure of the figure ( usually a tapered box for the pelvis at the correct angle of the asics, a half cut egg shape for the thorax. Place the neck pit and head.. extend the clavicles or scapula position from the neck pit and there find the correct shoulder position. Complete the layout of the skeleton.

After that is just basic anatomy to cover the skeleton. Since children book are usually not very realistic you do not need much anatomy knowledge, but you probably want a basic level (otherwise characters will look robotic)
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2018, 01:08 AM

First of all congratulations dear Soupcan for your very new contract. Now coming to technical aspects, I would like to tell you that if you aim to keep the illustrations interesting for kids, just dont stick too much to the anatomy when designing human figures. A bit Clumsy figures will draw much attention of the kids. And keeping the color schemes vibrant will have keep them interested for a longer time.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2018, 02:46 AM
New York

Hails from United States

Here you can see the best illustration for Kids. I hope it helps to children's!