WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Legal Corner
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2017, 06:59 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States
Painting as a wedding gift - is there anything I need to include?

I'm giving one of my paintings, "Kingston Bluff"...

...as a wedding present to a couple getting married soon. It just occurred to me that perhaps I should include some sort of document indicating the transfer of ownership and my retention of copyright. But since this doesn't represent a sale and I haven't yet begun to sell my work anyway (coming soon...I hope!), I'm not certain what may be needed. Any help on this is appreciated!

“We need more images and news that is good news, to make us wake up in the morning and do something good for yourself and someone else.”
~Romero Britto

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2017, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Painting as a wedding gift - is there anything I need to include?

I mark everything I create on the back with something like this:

Title
Original Oil Painting
Copyright Your Name
All rights reserved.
Catalog Number: XYZ123

I don't date anything. I keep a catalog record of every piece I make that shows the date and other pertinent info.

I also give them a document with a short bio, info about the piece, my website address, my studio business email and phone, how to care for it and display it properly and a more detailed explanation of how the the artist holds the copyright of the artwork and that it cannot be reproduced or used in any manner other than to display the original, without written permission from the artist or their heirs.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2017, 03:32 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious
I mark everything I create on the back with something like this:

Title
Original Oil Painting
Copyright Your Name
All rights reserved.
Catalog Number: XYZ123

I don't date anything. I keep a catalog record of every piece I make that shows the date and other pertinent info.

I also give them a document with a short bio, info about the piece, my website address, my studio business email and phone, how to care for it and display it properly and a more detailed explanation of how the the artist holds the copyright of the artwork and that it cannot be reproduced or used in any manner other than to display the original, without written permission from the artist or their heirs.

Hey, thanks for that. The wedding was yesterday, and what I did was put in the back my name followed by the copyright symbol, title and media. But since I know the recipients, I still have time to prepare a document such as yours and givenit to them later.

I really like the idea of giving them the additional info in a separate document, since I did the painting just for them. It was based on a view from a camping trip we all went on last summer. And further, it will be good for me to develop such a document - and database - for future paintings.

Does your document have a specific title? Thank you very much again!

“We need more images and news that is good news, to make us wake up in the morning and do something good for yourself and someone else.”
~Romero Britto

Last edited by AnnieA : 06-18-2017 at 03:38 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member

You are welcome.

I have given them titles ranging from the title of the painting at the top in larger type to something like "Certificate of Authenticity & Care Instructions".
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 12:58 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by contumacious
You are welcome.

I have given them titles ranging from the title of the painting at the top in larger type to something like "Certificate of Authenticity & Care Instructions".
I like the idea of care instructions. The couple is on their honeymoon now, but I plan to ask for the painting to be returned temporarily for an additional coat of retouch varnish, and I'll provide the document then.

So many thanks again! All of what you've written has been very helpful!

BTW - I just have to say this - the photo of the painting that I posted isn't very good. It's way more yellow than the actual painting and doesn't show the detail well. A decent camera is on my to do list!

~Romero Britto

Last edited by AnnieA : 06-20-2017 at 01:10 PM.