WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Reply  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2017, 04:13 PM
TXWolf86's Avatar
TXWolf86 TXWolf86 is offline
Member
Fort Worth, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 52
 
Hails from United States
Question Best method I've found to prep my Sketches for Inking

I first started inking my comic sketches several years ago trying out method after method with little success. When I first started out, I'd sketch over the original sketch with my Pigma Microns and erase any graphite that wasn't inked. I felt unsatisfied by this method because the ink would fade when I erased, not only that the sketch was ruined in the process so that method went out the window quickly.
After that I tried various methods and they all had their own pros-and-cons when I compared them. I spoke to a good friend about this, a fellow artist who works more in graphic design. She was the one who introduced to computer work and got me hooked on it because of how easy it was to do artwork. However I tried other styles, mediums, and medias over this time period. I believe I found the best method on how to get my sketches ready to be inked. --- This work is was done traditional then digitally on GIMP ---

I first drew the sketch on plain paper using both a Non-Photo-Blue as a form builder and then sketch the character with a Draughting Pencil. At the end of this step, the paper was roughed up by smudges made by my hand and the graphite, something I've been working to fix on.

The second step was scanning it into the computer and touch up the sketch to make it finer.
First off was eliminating the undersketch to build the characters form, I did this by. After that was cleaning up the imperfections till it was sketch was "squeaky clean".

The third step was changing the graphite color to a non-photo-blue. I accomplished this by removing the white background entirely and leaving nothing by the sketch work on a transparent layer by means of the "Color to Alpha" tool. After that was filling in the graphite with a light-blue or cyan color with the "fill tool" after locking the transparency.

This by far has been the best I've come up with as to prep my sketches for inking. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
 
__________________
Craig Poling Junior
aka:
Craig Lupine
Reply With Quote
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2017, 12:53 AM
Milo's Avatar
Milo Milo is offline
Veteran Member
Nevada
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 501
 
Hails from United States
Re: Best method I've found to prep my Sketches for Inking

Excellent work!
Have you looked at Clip Studio 5(also known as manga studio) It has some fantastic inking functions, I dont have em handy but I can give you some tutor links. I think you would really like it. Even at full price its not expensive for the non-ex version. The Ex does multipage comics and a few other things. It goes on sale a couple of times a year.
__________________
Life is good, have fun otherwise whats the point...
My Art | My Gallery

Last edited by Milo : 06-10-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2017, 01:27 PM
TXWolf86's Avatar
TXWolf86 TXWolf86 is offline
Member
Fort Worth, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 52
 
Hails from United States
Re: Best method I've found to prep my Sketches for Inking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo
Excellent work!
Have you looked at Clip Studio 5(also known as manga studio) It has some fantastic inking functions, I dont have em handy but I can give you some tutor links. I think you would really like it. Even at full price its not expensive for the non-ex version. The Ex does multipage comics and a few other things. It goes on sale a couple of times a year.


Thanx for the feedback. I have looked into Manga Studio and it does some promising but with my finances being what they are it's not possible. I also found some methods on improving my inking skills using Gimp but it'll take some time getting use to it.
I usually ink my work with Pigma Micron Techinical Pens and Ink Brush made by Pentel. However I'm trying to get into Dip Pens at the moment which seem far more promising with my style than what I use normally.
I'll be looking into Manga Studio when I can afford it, but until then traditional inking or using Gimp to ink my work are my only options at the moment.
__________________
Craig Poling Junior
aka:
Craig Lupine
Reply With Quote
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Milo's Avatar
Milo Milo is offline
Veteran Member
Nevada
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 501
 
Hails from United States
Re: Best method I've found to prep my Sketches for Inking

I totally get where your coming from. Though keep an eye out, there are sales that happen a few times a year, they had the clip studio pro (manga studio 5) on sale through smith micro recently for 25.00 vs the 50.

Check out these I like this one cause its basic and short
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB4o3zG8NiI (in the comments is a nice little follow up video)

3 part series from the sketch to the ink more pro level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfw65QasgV0

another pro level guy this course is on skillshare (again money but you can go for one month if you want vs a lot for the course) http://www.patrickbrownart.com/blog/...on-skillshare/ you might like his style to see an overview in the intro video on his site

There a more videos on youtube that are free I just think these were in the area of your interest.

again I understand funding, so just pointing it out. for some reason the physical copy of Clip Studio Pro is still listed for under 25 on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Micro-S.../dp/B01F70HGA4 (smith micro is the us distributor)

Keep going your art style looks great!
__________________
Life is good, have fun otherwise whats the point...
My Art | My Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2017, 02:57 PM
TXWolf86's Avatar
TXWolf86 TXWolf86 is offline
Member
Fort Worth, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 52
 
Hails from United States
Re: Best method I've found to prep my Sketches for Inking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo
I totally get where your coming from. Though keep an eye out, there are sales that happen a few times a year, they had the clip studio pro (manga studio 5) on sale through smith micro recently for 25.00 vs the 50.

Check out these I like this one cause its basic and short
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB4o3zG8NiI (in the comments is a nice little follow up video)

3 part series from the sketch to the ink more pro level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfw65QasgV0

another pro level guy this course is on skillshare (again money but you can go for one month if you want vs a lot for the course) http://www.patrickbrownart.com/blog/...on-skillshare/ you might like his style to see an overview in the intro video on his site

There a more videos on youtube that are free I just think these were in the area of your interest.

again I understand funding, so just pointing it out. for some reason the physical copy of Clip Studio Pro is still listed for under 25 on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Micro-S.../dp/B01F70HGA4 (smith micro is the us distributor)

Keep going your art style looks great!


Thanx for that, I'll take a look when I can.
__________________
Craig Poling Junior
aka:
Craig Lupine
Reply With Quote
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2017, 02:58 PM
TXWolf86's Avatar
TXWolf86 TXWolf86 is offline
Member
Fort Worth, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 52
 
Hails from United States
Re: Best method I've found to prep my Sketches for Inking

Thanx for that, I'll take a look into these links when i can.
__________________
Craig Poling Junior
aka:
Craig Lupine
Reply With Quote
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2017, 01:14 AM
TXWolf86's Avatar
TXWolf86 TXWolf86 is offline
Member
Fort Worth, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 52
 
Hails from United States
Re: Best method I've found to prep my Sketches for Inking

I liked watching those videos and thought they were interesting to watch, however the program is impossible to get now so I'm gonna stick to my Technical Pens for now. I'm gonna be posting some inked comparison images for the sketches. You'll have to add me to your list of people you keep tabs on to see the new threads and posts i make.

The Inked Comparison is gonna be broken down into three medias, Techinal Pens and Brushes, Dip Pens and Burshes, and digitally by use of GIMP. I don't know when they'll be posted but I hope you can bear the wait to see them.
__________________
Craig Poling Junior
aka:
Craig Lupine
Reply With Quote
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2017, 12:44 PM
FrozenWolf's Avatar
FrozenWolf FrozenWolf is offline
New Member
West Virginia, USA
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 31
 
Hails from United States
Re: Best method I've found to prep my Sketches for Inking

I defiantly agree with Milo, I have Manga Studio and it's a really nice program. I'm more of a traditional on-paper type of gal but Manga Studio is high quality. I honestly find it a little hard to use but I am only 15 and adults with more art experience can probably maneuver it better than I can. I also believe a lot of my difficulties come from just using my finger on the touch pad part of my laptop, I'm currently trying to save for a Wacom Cintiq, I have zero hand-to-eye ordinance so I believe that is my biggest problem.
__________________
Keep on Keeping on. God Bless.

- Chloe
Reply With Quote
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Milo's Avatar
Milo Milo is offline
Veteran Member
Nevada
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 501
 
Hails from United States
Re: Best method I've found to prep my Sketches for Inking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenWolf
I defiantly agree with Milo, I have Manga Studio and it's a really nice program. I'm more of a traditional on-paper type of gal but Manga Studio is high quality. I honestly find it a little hard to use but I am only 15 and adults with more art experience can probably maneuver it better than I can. I also believe a lot of my difficulties come from just using my finger on the touch pad part of my laptop, I'm currently trying to save for a Wacom Cintiq, I have zero hand-to-eye ordinance so I believe that is my biggest problem.

Frozenwold Its great that your learning and working your way through things. Yeah using a mouse or laptop touchpad is not ideal, but you use what you have. I wanted to say before you get so set on Cintiq (no doubt they are very good devices from Wacom). Take a look at some stepping stones.

I have a HUION 1060 Pro (they recently released a new version) itís a non-screen tablet but I found even when I got a screen one I was like I could have stayed with this one before I got used to with a screen. They have it at amazon (for 82)

https://www.amazon.com/Huion-Graphic.../dp/B01FTE9HS2

The older one I have is still available for 10 less.

Another you might consider if you do go for a screen is Yiynova I have the MVP22U though If I did it again I wouldnít get the touch screen portion and maybe even a smaller one it only doesnít have pen tilt which I donít use.
If you look up both companies websites you can see their other products but check the reviews as some products may not be the cats meow. These are pretty solid.

Yiynova is sold by Panda City through amazon in the US. Both companies have been responsive when dealing with them.

There are some good reviews comparing on youtube about the Yiynova and the Cintiq, or other off brands. I donít regret the decision and it was about 1/3 of the price
__________________
Life is good, have fun otherwise whats the point...
My Art | My Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2017, 03:52 PM
TXWolf86's Avatar
TXWolf86 TXWolf86 is offline
Member
Fort Worth, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 52
 
Hails from United States
Re: Best method I've found to prep my Sketches for Inking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo
Frozenwold Its great that your learning and working your way through things. Yeah using a mouse or laptop touchpad is not ideal, but you use what you have. I wanted to say before you get so set on Cintiq (no doubt they are very good devices from Wacom). Take a look at some stepping stones.

I have a HUION 1060 Pro (they recently released a new version) itís a non-screen tablet but I found even when I got a screen one I was like I could have stayed with this one before I got used to with a screen. They have it at amazon (for 82)

https://www.amazon.com/Huion-Graphic.../dp/B01FTE9HS2

The older one I have is still available for 10 less.

Another you might consider if you do go for a screen is Yiynova I have the MVP22U though If I did it again I wouldnít get the touch screen portion and maybe even a smaller one it only doesnít have pen tilt which I donít use.
If you look up both companies websites you can see their other products but check the reviews as some products may not be the cats meow. These are pretty solid.

Yiynova is sold by Panda City through amazon in the US. Both companies have been responsive when dealing with them.

There are some good reviews comparing on youtube about the Yiynova and the Cintiq, or other off brands. I donít regret the decision and it was about 1/3 of the price

The Graphics Tablet that I have is the Wacom Intuous 5 with a touch setup built into it. I had to save up for a couple of months to get that. So far i found it best for what I do because I do my artwork and add some special effects to it like fire and smoke and so forth. One illustration I did like that was a christmas card I made with the Northern Lights showing in the backdrop for a friend of mine who moved to my area from Alaska. He went back eventually though, Texas was too much for him, lol.
__________________
Craig Poling Junior
aka:
Craig Lupine
Reply With Quote
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2017, 07:43 PM
Milo's Avatar
Milo Milo is offline
Veteran Member
Nevada
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 501
 
Hails from United States
Re: Best method I've found to prep my Sketches for Inking

Thats a nice tablet you have TXwolf86. I look forward to seeing what you post and do both digital and physical. I love the tests you recently showed, working through and figuring what you need out.

My comments on the Tablet and the monitor tablet was for FrozenWolf who mentioned saving for a cintiq (which is a great product ) that there were some less expensive options that might give them what they would like at a more affordable option.
__________________
Life is good, have fun otherwise whats the point...
My Art | My Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2017, 09:57 PM
TXWolf86's Avatar
TXWolf86 TXWolf86 is offline
Member
Fort Worth, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 52
 
Hails from United States
Re: Best method I've found to prep my Sketches for Inking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo
Thats a nice tablet you have TXwolf86. I look forward to seeing what you post and do both digital and physical. I love the tests you recently showed, working through and figuring what you need out.

My comments on the Tablet and the monitor tablet was for FrozenWolf who mentioned saving for a cintiq (which is a great product ) that there were some less expensive options that might give them what they would like at a more affordable option.

Thanx for that Milo. i just wish that I did the test properly. Since I was basing the dry time on how the ink felt to my touch I basically botched the whole thing entirely. However knowing what I did wrong I can improve on it and my future drawings and renderings. In my point of view that's a win for me because I'm still new to inking so learning new methods and how to improve my work is always a good thing. So I'm happy to know that now.

I'll be looking into Manga studio when I can. But so far Gimp has been a great tool for inking so far. If I had any drawings to show then I could share it here, alas I have none to share.
__________________
Craig Poling Junior
aka:
Craig Lupine
Reply With Quote
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2017, 02:17 AM
TXWolf86's Avatar
TXWolf86 TXWolf86 is offline
Member
Fort Worth, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 52
 
Hails from United States
Re: Best method I've found to prep my Sketches for Inking

Update

I managed to do the basic inking of the drawing. I used Pigma Micron Tech Pens and Pentel Color Brush Pens. It looks good so far but it's still not done yet, I still need to do some fine detail so that'll take a while to do.

Feedback is welcome.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Craig Poling Junior
aka:
Craig Lupine
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:15 AM.


© 2014 F+W All rights reserved.