WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing > Framing Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2017, 11:53 AM

Logan mat cutter 4000 - making it easy

I have the 4000 Logan mat cutter and for the first couple of weeks I was having problems with depth of cut. Its definetely essential to use a piece of board under the mat you are cutting, but apart from that, I have found the easy answer for a perfect cut every time is to run the cutter twice over the line you are cutting. It ensures that you havent missed the corner (easily done) and the scrap falls out straight away. I have also purchased the adapt-a-rule with guides supplied so that you cant slip as you are cutting. Logan videos show only a single cut and I've not seen the double cut advice anywhere.

Since using this method I havent had one bad mount (apart from silly mistakes of measurement!) and I cut something between 10 and 20 mounts a week. You'd think that I'd be using more blades this way but its the opposite. The second cut is hardly blunting the blade at all as the cut has already been made. In fact I use less blades than before as I was previously blaming a bad cut on the blade.

Hope this helps others.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2017, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Logan mat cutter 4000 - making it easy

You must have more skill than I do. Any time I have run the blade twice, it messes up the cut somewhere along the line.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2017, 06:55 AM

I'm only guessing but you may have the blade set too deep and its twisting a little, or you're not holding the rule firm enough and its slipping between cuts. I discovered this method by accident but I've never had a bad bevel by cutting twice. Hope you try it again
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2017, 09:59 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

I love my Logan, but what a pain to try to have a piece of matboard ready to put on the bed before cutting. I always run out of board.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Hmmm, never have had this happen.