WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2017, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Toronto, Canada

Hails from Canada
Red face Where to sell online: small-ish, realistic, time consuming paintings?

Artists who do fast "daily paintings" can price competitively for Etsy and Daily Paintworks.

But do these sites work for those of us who take days to paint one small piece?

I've only sold 10 cheaply priced paintings on Etsy, because I don't have my own customer base yet.

Every painting took 4-7 days, and sold for only $60-200, so I lost money.

I'm afraid to raise my prices because there's no "demand" yet, I'm still new at this.

(I'd rather not sell reproductions, as the Print on Demand sites ship with their branding and packaging, which I cannot control. I tried FAA and the print arrived rolled so it took forever to unroll it.)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2017, 10:35 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Where to sell online: small-ish, realistic, time consuming paintings?

Your own website and social media.

I don't have the patience to paint like you do but I've been on DPW, twice. The first time I sold a few 5X7's, a 6x8 and an 8x10, all quite cheap and then nothing sold for months so I closed the account. I tried DWP again last year and even promoted it on social media and got nothing for four months, my prices were only slightly higher. I've never been on Etsy but my understanding is that the situation there is similar, only cheap stuff sells for most artists.

It all boils down to effective marketing, no website is going to sell your art for you. If you have developed a good following you could show your art in any venue and sell for what you want. If you have not developed any following at all it doesn't matter where you post your art, it isn't going to sell.

All that said, you might try ebay, at least it's free to list up to 50 listings/month. That's what I'm doing for now, though the only thing I've sold there this year is a small print.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2017, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I don't try to sell originals on Etsy, but the reason I am on Etsy at all is because of the shop of someone who paints these incredible Southwest paintings and sells the smallish originals on there around $400. And they have sold about 40 paintings on there. So the possibility is there. Just not for me right now, lol! But I am not painting Southwest rocks, either.

Etsy has been very little compared to my own art site. About 1/4 of my sales (for prints) comes from Etsy. Like this month I had jack from Etsy but sold an original painting off my shopify site and another off Facebook. Still, I'm going to keep plugging on Etsy, because why the heck not. It takes me about ten minutes for each new painting to list on there.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2017, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Toronto, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davkin
Your own website and social media.

I don't have the patience to paint like you do but I've been on DPW, twice. The first time I sold a few 5X7's, a 6x8 and an 8x10, all quite cheap and then nothing sold for months so I closed the account. I tried DWP again last year and even promoted it on social media and got nothing for four months, my prices were only slightly higher. I've never been on Etsy but my understanding is that the situation there is similar, only cheap stuff sells for most artists.

It all boils down to effective marketing, no website is going to sell your art for you. If you have developed a good following you could show your art in any venue and sell for what you want. If you have not developed any following at all it doesn't matter where you post your art, it isn't going to sell.

All that said, you might try ebay, at least it's free to list up to 50 listings/month. That's what I'm doing for now, though the only thing I've sold there this year is a small print.
Thank you for sharing your experience. You're right, I'll try to follow your advice. Hope everything goes well for you!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Toronto, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
I don't try to sell originals on Etsy, but the reason I am on Etsy at all is because of the shop of someone who paints these incredible Southwest paintings and sells the smallish originals on there around $400. And they have sold about 40 paintings on there. So the possibility is there. Just not for me right now, lol! But I am not painting Southwest rocks, either.

Etsy has been very little compared to my own art site. About 1/4 of my sales (for prints) comes from Etsy. Like this month I had jack from Etsy but sold an original painting off my shopify site and another off Facebook. Still, I'm going to keep plugging on Etsy, because why the heck not. It takes me about ten minutes for each new painting to list on there.
That's very impressive, congratulations! Let's hope you continue to get more sales on your website and facebook!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2017, 12:41 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Etsy is currently doing very badly for many established sellers, I personally think their search is bugged up again, like it was in Sept, 2014.

Many sellers are reporting an instant drop of 60 to 80 percent and it happened pretty much at the same time.

My sales are down there by over 60%. But they do have a new CEO, as a result of a major investor complaining publicly about the "horrendous search".

So I'm hopeful it will rebound but am not depending on it.

I know artists there who sell their prints there for more than $60.

I would NOT use an etsy shop to build a following. Get your own site, even if it's Etsy's Pattern, to guide your buyers to. For one thing, Etsy is showing other people's items in your listings that come from social media. They also are testing a prominent search bar with very low pricing choices (under $25, from $25 to $50), etc.

And as I said, I think there's a problem with search again. And if you're losing money selling on those platforms, then don't list there, list where you are getting the price you normally get.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I noticed the thing about them deciding to list other people's stuff above my own and frankly, that pisses me off. I was considering buy ads there before, but now, forget it.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:53 AM

Hails from Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
I noticed the thing about them deciding to list other people's stuff above my own and frankly, that pisses me off. I was considering buy ads there before, but now, forget it.

Have not personal seen it but it seems it's another live experiment from Etsy. Something I will never understand why not use focus groups that you need to opt in, instead they choose this. Sometimes you are a guinea pig and you don't even know it until you look into the source code.

Quote:
Hey there!

This isn't buggy, but in experiment at the moment.

If you do not want recommended items to appear on the listing pages of items you are promoting, you will need to add your shop name to your listing page URL right before “listing.”

For example, If you would like to promote:
www.etsy.com/listing/12345689/

Share this updated link instead:
www.etsy.com/yourshopname/listing/12345689/

When buyers click through your personalized link, they will not see recommended items on your listing page.
https://www.etsy.com/teams/7720/bugs/discuss/18383804/
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2017, 03:31 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

NEVER link to your etsy listing on social media. Link to your own site, even if it's just a free blogger portfolio.

Just wanted to mention that etsy has been improving for me the past week. It might really be a lights on/off (that they deny), or a settling down after experimenting, or ???? Who knows.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Glad to hear Etsy is improving for you. It is improving for me also, but what's that saying, one swallow does not make a spring?

Last edited by Harold Roth : 07-06-2017 at 03:46 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2017, 10:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Gainesville, Fl USA

Hails from United States

I open my Etsy Shop in June, selling tiny studies for 15.00. I have sold 6 paintings so far. I think it has potential for inexpensive studies. I don't show larger work there.
https://lindablondheim.com/classes-art-tutorials/
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 07:23 AM
Mumbai, India

Hails from India

I have been selling my paintings through Artzolo.com whose primary audiences are US, UK and India.

You could actually send them a few samples of your paintings and see if they would likely approve.