WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2017, 10:05 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Fb personal and business page

I'm thinking of merging my personal and business page on Fb and would appreciate advice from anyone who has done this. thanks in advance.

laf-art.com | Prints | FB
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States
Re: Fb personal and business page

Do you mean using only your personal page? Or only your business page? I used to use my non-art biz page to post until someone told me that FB would take it down because I was using it for non-biz stuff (I have since seen this happen to others since then). Now I have two biz pages and one personal page, but you are right, it is unwieldy. I post about my art on my personal page as well as my art biz page, but I keep the wip posts to my art page. I am slowly slowly starting to get some traction on my art biz page, but it's tough.

Also, I can't comment as my art page on someone else's page. I have to comment as my personal page. I noticed this affects others too. Like yesterday I wanted to see the paintings that someone else had posted an example of, and instead of taking me to the artist's page, FB sent me to their personal page, which shows them being a tattoo artist instead of the painter I was looking for. Seems like a disadvantage, but I don't know how to resolve it.

Do you have any ideas about how to resolve it?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2017, 12:29 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

FB makes my head spin, I can't make heads or tails of the place. I only have a personal page and share my art with my friends just to share, art is about the only interesting thing I do that they'd care about, but I don't expect to make any sales that way. Bottom line I find FB very confusing and so only use it minimally and not really for business at all.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2017, 05:01 PM

Hails from England

I have a personal page and two biz pages on FB, and still haven't figured out how to sell on the biz pages! I hope it doesn't involve paying a small fortune for luxuries like a shopping cart. I honestly have no idea; often I just link my Etsy shop in comments on the jewellery biz page, but as I as yet don't sell my art online, I haven't tackled that issue.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2017, 08:00 AM

Harold I'm finding the same as you. When I started my pages I wanted to keep them seperate because of the non art things that I was interested in. The thing for me now is that I have a bit of a following on the art page and I think people would like to see a bit more about who I am and not just my work and as I no longer post anything contentious on my personal page I feel it would be better to amalgamate them. Also it's a bit frustrating when I want to like someone on the art page to be sent to the personal page or conversely when I want to like someone on a professional page from my art page and fb only allows me to do that from my personal page.I'm doing some reading up and will let you know if I come across anything useful

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2017, 08:07 AM

Dark flights I think it's pretty difficult to sell on Fb. I have had a couple of sales but it seems to be pretty much the luck of the draw. I do boost posts sometimes just so that a much wider audience is reached, and I have a couple of people coming to visit my studio shortly directly from fb contact so slowly it seems to be helping. I believe that if I manage to combine the pages it will give me a better chance as I get a lot more comments on the personal page at the moment and I'm hoping that merging will jog people into commenting on the art page. We shall see

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

laf.art, I too no longer post contentious stuff on my personal page and in fact went back and deleted all the stuff that was.

All the paintings and most of the prints I have sold have been through links on FB posts to my art site and to my Etsy site. I haven't used any "buy now" type gizmos on FB, even though shopify, where I have my art site, offers something like that (I think).

I also enjoy reading the posts of people in my feed, so for me, FB is definitely worth it.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2017, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Arizona

Hails from United States

This has been my experience on FB:

Personal page is good for networking with art community people and galleries, and a lot of that is done in art related Groups for my area. Once you find a good Group there it tends to lead to others, and Groups can be a valuable resource for getting to know people in the art community, see calls to artists, etc.

Business Page was of much more direct use before FB decided to make people pay to promote posts, BUT it's still useful to have it, if for no other reason to give people a public page to look at and to direct them to your 'real' site by posting links there to your blog posts or site, especially for new work or to share events you're part of. I personally don't think it's worth paying for FB ads or to promote your posts.

You can sell directly from FB now but I have opted not to hand over whatever credit card info that probably requires, so I don't use it. I have, all along for several yrs now, used FB indirectly to make sales by posting about my shows or new work, (again usually sharing a link to those things).

If you post actual art images to social media I highly recommend first editing the image in photo editing software or even the text tool on your phone if need be, to put permanent identifying info on the picture. Images of all types, but especially those uploaded to social media, get "shared" without credit, so think of the image as an ad for your work by putting something on it that anyone could use to easily find you. Your name or your URL for example.

FB can be a time waster if you let it. Don't feel you have to do every new thing there that comes along. You don't have to participate in "chain letter" type games or respond to everything. Another issue is political stuff. I keep it off my public page unless it relates to the art, (and once in awhile it does!). Politics can be the biggest consumer of your time, so if you engage in it even on your personal page there, you really have to discipline yourself to spend only so much time there, and prioritize.

You can set your personal page privacy settings really tight, and you can select the privacy settings for each individual post. On a business page you can control whether or not people can post to your page, or only comment on your posts, etc.

I found FB easier than Twitter. Google Plus seems like a ghost town...I am on it but it's so useless to me I rarely go there anymore, it's just a stopping place for anyone who happens to find me there, to find the link to sites I use more. I left Twitter twice because I just could not figure it out. I think it's important to have ONE social media account that works well for you. Not sure that having lots of them is helpful! That's why I concentrate on the one that has been most useful, just happens to be FB for me because most of the art community where I live is using it for that. In your case, it could very well be a different platform.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2017, 09:47 AM
Lincolnshire, England

Hails from United Kingdom

I keep my ordinary page for personal and everyday stuff; any friends whowant to see what I've been painting will get it in their newsfeed if they've 'liked' my business page. So not much point in posting the same stuff in both places, or I guess they'll only get it twice. Your FB business page will of course be public, whereas you can keep the other page as private as you wish.

But when your work (i.e. your art) is what characterizes you, it's kind of hard not to expect you talk about it and show it on your personal page
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2017, 10:12 AM
USA

Hails from United States

I have only one FB page and it is for my art. I get more engagement on Twitter, though, which doesn't have content restrictions. However I get 100x more sales through my direct email list from people who visited my site. For my art a least, social media has not been where discovery occurs.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2017, 09:08 PM
West Texas

Hails from United States

I've been wondering the same thing. I can't get past the fact that I cannot comment from my art business page. How am I supposed to build good following? It's frustrating to me. I wish I knew a solution. I'm following this thread with high hopes. 😑🙏

I have to ask, how do you get people to like your business page from interacting with you on your personal page? Do you consistently promote and mention it or is it linked somewhere?

Lastly, I can't tell if it's a bad idea to keep art pictures on my personal page. If I had it my way I wouldn't have a personal page and really prefer not to post pictures of myself.

Instagram (Most Active) | DA | Facebook | Tumblr (sketchbook archive) | Youtube
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2017, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

You can ask your personal friends to "like" your business page. It's in the left-hand side bar on your business page.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Is there any downside to opening a FB biz page if one already has a personal page? I have a couple hundred FB friends, and while I do post a painting once a week or so, I'm reluctant to post art more often for fear of annoying friends who aren't as interested in art. At the same time, I'd like to promote my website/blog to a wider audience. Should I add a FB biz account?

I'm also thinking of starting a twittter feed and using that to notify the world of each new blog post. Would that be a better way to start? My main goal for now is to attract more readers to my blog/website.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I use my art page on FB to post wips. I don't post wips on my personal page, just finished works. I do have friends who follow both. Some people like to see wips, and others don't. Plus my art page on FB has attracted people who are not my personal friends. It has taken a long time for it to gain any traction. I do think it's worth it and not much work.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2017, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Harold. I'll give it a go.