WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air > Studio Paintings from Plein Air References
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2017, 01:25 AM
Portsmouth, England

Hails from England
Gridding for an Oil Painting

For oil painting I like to use a 14"X11" gridded gessoed MDF support

A hard pencil gives the finest grid and allows the greatest drawing accuracy, but as I found The hard way, the pencil shows through the paint. A pastel pencil grid is lost when painted over, but the thickness of the smallest obtainable pastel tip doesn't permit the same accuracy.

Can anyone suggest an answer, please?

A candle looses nothing by lighting another candle - Oneliners and Proverbs.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Netherlands
Re: Gridding for an Oil Painting

My suggestion is not to draw in fine detail. You should really only need it to block in areas, you can measure finer details by eye after.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Gridding for an Oil Painting

Depending on how I am going work sometimes I like a very detailed and precise drawing on the panel at the outset. For others I draw just the major shapes and lines to get the proportions right. I really don't like drawing in charcoal on my panel and graphite pencils tend to mess with your colors too much for me.

I have found that a Polychromos colored pencil in an appropriate color and value works very well for both. The Polychromos pencils are an oil based material that from my experience doesn't dirty up the lighter colors like a graphite pencil does. You will get some lifting if you keep brushing over the lines but it doesn't show like pencil. I wouldn't recommend shading with them, just doing your fine lined layout. Choose colors that aren't too dark or too intense and don't apply too thickly. One of my favorites is called Rotel Sanguine. It works with a variety of scenes and is the one I always keep in my paint box.

Another method that has worked well is transferring a detailed drawing on paper to the panel using colored pastel as the "carbon" by rubbing it on the back. Again this works better for me than graphite transfers. Pick a color that won't stand out, light earths, light yellows, light blues etc.