WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2017, 08:34 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States
Sit, stand, flat

I drive myself crazy in the studio trying to get comfortable lately. If I sit at the easel my back gets tight from leaning forward to paint details. Standing gives me a chance to move around, stand back and view my work and get in close.
But after a while, the old legs give out and I have bad feet so......
Working flat on a large table is very nice if the painting is small; say, 16x12 at the largest.
Am I the only one with these silly problems?

Derek
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2017, 11:14 AM

Re: Sit, stand, flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcam
m I the only one with these silly problems?

Derek
Yes you are. I do all my painting standing up with the painting against the wall rather than on an easel. My legs hold up, but my left shoulder sometimes gives out, which is odd because I'm right handed.

If you put your painting on the wall and paint while sitting on a tall stool, i think you will alleviate some of the problems. You won't be bending over like you do when painting from a chair and easel. The tall stool - like seat 30" from the ground, will let you get close to the painting, and your legs will dangle or rest on a cross piece of the stool, allowing you to work much longer.

With my set-up I can stand but not use a stool since my taboret is a 12" wide converted bookcase under the painting. A thick rubber matt will also allow you to stand longer.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2017, 11:41 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Bong: sounds like a plan. When I was in Art College, I used to drawing and paint everything pinned to the wall. It felt very natural.
Thanks.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2017, 01:08 AM
Olympia, Wa. USA

Hails from United States

I use a tall stool part of the time and stand the rest of the time. I don't always sit on the stool, most of the time I just kinda sit on the edge while standing. I too have trouble standing or sitting too long.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2017, 03:12 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Yesterday I was out painting in drizzling rain so hid under a tree, the branches stoped me moving around and when I finally tried to move my leg had seized up.
This doesn’t usually happen when I keep moving and walking about as I always stand.
Remind yourself to move between brush strokes or passages and wear stout boots .

Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2017, 12:52 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Thanks for your input Caroline and Dave.

Dave, I wonder if Wales gets as much rain as my bonnie Scotland?
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2017, 01:54 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Wales

An interesting question Derek, although I have lived in Scotland I had to consult the Met Office. Apparently the wettest place in the UK is Snowdonia in Wales (average annual totals exceeding 3,000 mm of rain a year), followed by the Highlands of Scotland, the Lake District, the Pennines and the moors of South West England.

As you can see from this map it’s the west coast that has most of the rain so if you lived on the East cost of Scotland it could be relatively dry. The South West peninsular of Wales were I live is in the white!

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2017, 02:04 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Rain or not, a lovely place. I was born in Dumfries and spent my toddler years in Sanquhar not far from Lead Hills.

Thanks for the map.....wonderful.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2017, 02:28 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Wales

Knew people who lived near Biggar which is not to far away from your home town, I lived near Kilcreggan at one time.

Dave.
— Allen Ginsberg
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2017, 03:58 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Aye Ye're A' richt laddie!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2017, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Yup, you're the only one suffering from those silly problems. On the other hand, the real ones eventually afflict just about everyone one way or another.

Don't know how it's done in England or Scotland, but here's a picture of my wall easel and it has sure eased my back aches compared to using an easel that leans away from me. Taboret is an old posing table and can be moved out of the way for closeup looking/painting. Except for hardware the easel was made from one cedar 2X4.

Oh, by the way - what is that cream-green color mean - no rain at all or more than can be measured?

R/Mike
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2017, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Tillamook, Oregon

Hails from United States

Some years ago I had a new type of computer chair that you knelt and sat on. This put you upright and forward in a quite comfortable position. Googling "kneeling computer chairs" produced many images. My wife got tired of it and it's gone now but I thought it was a good seat.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2017, 07:30 PM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

I have just changed to a vertical palette which stands beside my easel that I have at a vertical angle, too.
My husband made a wood panel with channels for my glass palette to slide into. It is attached to a camera tripod with a screw at the back so I can angle it anyway at all- and the legs adjust of course.
I have a small aluminium bracket attached to the side of the wooden palette holder that holds my tile that has my paint on it. I can remove the tile and put it in the freezer at the end of the session.
This arrangement has eased the back strain from having to look down at my palette on a tabouret. It means that the palette is on the same plane as the painting which makes for more accurate colour matching.
I sit in a good adjustable chair set high when painting and walk back and forward to ease the muscles.
I stand for my life drawing group sessions at a portable easel with lots of moving around and can do that for 2 hours at a stretch.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2017, 09:41 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Thanks Mike and Quint.

Hey there Bethany: I've seen that vertical palette position and it looks interesting. I sometimes use very thin washes though and it would probably drip down off the palette.
I like your other arrangements also.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

I bought a St Remy easel that folds flat if desired and also tilts forward slightly. With some easy modifications mine will now reach my lap when seated so I can work sitting, standing, tilted forward, straight up plus tilted away at any angle from just off vertical to flat. There is enough space under the easel for my feet to go when seated in a regular desk chair. I need a drafting stool to work on it when it is laying flat.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/saint-...FcGfGwodGGoIqA

I think it is marketed under some other names besides St Remy. I paid $199 shipped on sale for mine a couple of years ago. It is listed at $169 right now at Jerrys'.

Last edited by contumacious : 05-13-2017 at 07:37 PM.