WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2017, 11:23 AM

Post How do I correctly resize an image?

Hello everyone, how is everyone today? I hope that you are all well.

When I first started digital art I just used the default setting of the program that I was using without thinking what would become of all my hard work in the future. The problem that I now have as a result is that my images (some) are of a low resolution. A lot of artist programs have the settings default for web viewing, and not for printing (as should be the case). However, if I resize the image, some quality reduction is suffered as a result.

I have decided to go ahead and make copies anyway and thus I can just resize the copy. I have also thought of just re-painting them using the re-sized copy as an image that can be traced. The problem is that even such a solution might result in a re-painted image not looking as nice as the original.

I do not believe that I need to post an example image, because my inquiry is in the general-sense terms only.

What does everyone else think? What would you do? Also, is there a non-destructive way to resize an image? What is the best lossless file format?

Tead.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: How do I correctly resize an image?

Most graphics software can resize images but they can't really improve on the original resolution. Try the online resizing link in my signature.

That said, it is surprising how good inkjet printers print low resolution images.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2017, 05:03 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
When I first started digital art I just used the default setting of the program that I was using without thinking what would become of all my hard work in the future. The problem that I now have as a result is that my images (some) are of a low resolution. A lot of artist programs have the settings default for web viewing, and not for printing (as should be the case). However, if I resize the image, some quality reduction is suffered as a result.

I have decided to go ahead and make copies anyway and thus I can just resize the copy. I have also thought of just re-painting them using the re-sized copy as an image that can be traced. The problem is that even such a solution might result in a re-painted image not looking as nice as the original.

I do not believe that I need to post an example image, because my inquiry is in the general-sense terms only.

What does everyone else th ink? What would you do? Also, is there a non-destructive way to resize an image? What is the best lossless file format?

I'm not sure from your description whether you are referring to photos of subjects that you are using as references for painting, or.....whether they are photos that serve as archive files of your paintings, themselves.

I have often used quite low res images as references for painting. I think the secret is to NOT maintain the same resolution while you enlarge the image. I find that doing so tends to create a more blurrier, softer image. I allow the resolution to just drop, as worrisome as that may seem to be at first. I find that I can work more easily from a slightly pixelized image than from a soft-focus appearing one.

As Yorky mentioned, one cannot "build resolution into" an image that has not already had it scanned, or photographed into it. Increasing the resolution of an image in a photo program cannot improve the image that already exists, if it does not already have such high resolution in the original. In fact, sometimes it may serve to cause it to be a bit worse in quality.

To answer your question regarding resolution loss, and loss of detail. Jpeg images are "lossy" files. That means that each time you work on such an image and re-save it, it loses some "picture information". The more times you re-save it, the more information it loses.

On the other hand, Tiff (tagged image file format) images retain their image information no matter how many times such an image may be open, adjusted, and subsequently saved. We used tiff files in the printing industry for that very reason, as we were constantly modifying image files, and we couldn't tolerate a loss of quality after a number of modifications.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

Your best solution is to resize the image and then repaint it at the size you want.

Saving the original file in the native format of the program you are using will prevent loss of quality. For printing save it at the highest jpg setting.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2017, 10:09 AM

As a professional Graphic Designer, I recommend you to use KrojamSoft PhotoViewerPro for resizing/ editing the images.
I have used many programs but this gives me a lot of options because I constantly works in graphics/ photos/ images.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2017, 10:22 AM

I can recommend FastStone Photo Resizer http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2017, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tead
Also, is there a non-destructive way to resize an image?
No, unless you're dealing with vector graphics.
It sounds as if you're dealing with pixel-based images. If you enlarge, the software "interpolates" - it guesses where to add pixels to increase the size. If you shrink, you obviously lose data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tead
What is the best lossless file format?
As the OP suggests, if you're using Photoshop, a Photoshop file (*.psd) will preserve all your data. RAW files. TIFF file. BMP files. PNG files.
Its best to keep the working copy in the file-format of your software.
For example, if you're using Photoshop, keep your work as a *.psd file, but you can "save as" and get copies for the web etc. as *.jpg or *.gif or *.png or whatever.

:::

Last edited by Jeffro Jones : 08-26-2017 at 11:19 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2017, 03:49 AM
New York

Hails from United States

I think you should repaint it!