WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2017, 11:14 PM

How to choose the best background for your painting?

Hi,every.
I was in trouble recently. I really want to create a painting by myself, and I tried many times to complete a good painting. Itís hard to for me to imagine, which I still can't draw it out after a few months. Someone told me that painting from the imagination is, as has been said, painting from memory. I know how to layout my picture When i copy othersí painting. However, I want to create a picture by myself, and the result is bad usually. Maybe I copy too much and lose the ability to create? I am not clear, what should I do to improve the situation?
Have a nice day!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:31 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: How to choose the best background for your painting?

what kind of story do you want to tell with your painting?

what content ... subject ... characters ... where are they ... what are they doing ... where are they going ... what's their reason for being

figure that out so we at least have a basic starting point to help you with because without a plan you're kind of lost right from the start

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2017, 01:16 AM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States

Maybe copy something part of the way or just a small part of it, then just change a few things - to make it your own.

Find a simple scene, or photo, or something near your home to paint, sketch it out first a few times to see how it looks composition wise..

What style & subject are you wanting to paint? flowers, landscape, seascape, abstract, realistic, impressionistic etc?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2017, 12:22 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

Are you painting to simply replicate what your eyes see? Or are you painting to tell a story which is yours alone?

Do your "heavy lifting"--thinking about and resolving your intent for each painting--before picking up a brush.

A sketch book is a great tool to explore intent and various options for design, composition and value structure.

Good luck,
Virgil
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2017, 03:46 AM

Eh, I'm urge to complete a painting, which forget to thinking without theme, and neglect the drawing is a process of creation. Thank you for you your comments!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2017, 03:56 AM

Thank you very much, I think what I want to present is the scene of seaside sunset, I'll try to draw it out.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2017, 04:00 AM

I think I already know what yo want to convey, I'm still trying, but the day is coming soon.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2017, 01:47 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

seaside sunset, nice

something to know and always remember about waterscapes - distant water is ALWAYS FLAT and level. and generally soft edged, not harsh or sharp.

also recommended - put the horizon above or below centre, not on centre.

keep your colors simple to start with - yellow/red/white, for example, can give you a very nice range of values with yellows, oranges, pinks, reds.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2017, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet11
Hi,every.
I was in trouble recently. I really want to create a painting by myself, and I tried many times to complete a good painting. Itís hard to for me to imagine, which I still can't draw it out after a few months. Someone told me that painting from the imagination is, as has been said, painting from memory. I know how to layout my picture When i copy othersí painting. However, I want to create a picture by myself, and the result is bad usually. Maybe I copy too much and lose the ability to create? I am not clear, what should I do to improve the situation?
Have a nice day!

put the brush aside. Grab a piece of paper and a pencil.. Now SKETCH! Make small frames in the paper on the proportion your canvas will be. and make rough sketches. Many.. MANY of them.

You will develop it! These things come from hard work not from some magical place. Most great works were sketched a dozen times before the decision was taken on its final layout.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet11
Hi,every.
Have a nice day!

Why are they bad? What in your opinion is making them bad?
Do you feel that you really aren't able to create your own picture?

Start small with your own idea, like a cup on a 6x8 or similar size. Just a cup on the table. You can use a cup as a model.

If it turns out bad, really dissect it to figure out what is bad about it. And dissect again to see what is good, only this time you can't make any negative remarks.

Do a pro/con list/essay on all your paintings even the ones you copy.

I can't copy something to save my life. it has to be real life or imagination.

Remember you may not like it, but there are probably a good million people in this world that would love it.

Last edited by tripperchic : 05-29-2017 at 06:13 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States

Try typical two point perspective first, You can always augment the style, and add imagination within the framework. Works for me! Sort of.