WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2017, 04:10 AM

Some sculpture portraits

Hello!

I have jumped around in different art disciplines but after a long stint learning computer graphics I decided to get back to traditional sculpture and refine my skills.

I have done a few movie actor portraits and last year I did a live model sculpting experiment. I ended up falling back on photos as always. Maybe I will try a live portrait again in the future, but I prefer sculpting that has a story, and an interest in visual effects and puppets motivates most of my sculpting.

Here are some I did last year.

Patrick Troughton

Another Michael Ripper but this time slightly smiling and with arms.

One more Patrick Troughton this time as the Rat Catcher from a Phantom of the Opera film.

The model portrait I did last year.

And another Christopher Lee (screaming faces are really hard especially when you have to use 50 year old references).

And a modern actress portrait I did as practice but it turned out to be one of the hardest to do.

I am currently working on a new movie actress project which will be my last portrait for a while I think. The scale of my figures are around 1/4th.
I used to do heads in a slightly smaller scale and would like to return to that after I am done with my last couple of head projects. It is tough on the eyes to switch back and forth.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2017, 01:49 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States
Re: Some sculpture portraits

Beautiful work! May I suggest adding interest to the portraits by either turning or tilting the head, or both, showing something has caught the attention of the subject? It will make them look more alive. Also, you can carve the irises and pupils, carving deeply for dark eyes and the pupils and shallowly for light eyes.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2017, 12:22 PM

Excellent portraits and likenesses! Is this waterbased clay that you are using? My only critique would be to soften the hairlines, such as on your beautiful ladies. Right at the top at the hairline at the corners of the forehead, there could be a softening by blurring the line of hair by having some, perhaps adding a couple indications of very fine hair. So often the hairline there on a girl has whispies of hair and not really a simply straight line. If so, then the line can be washed out with water to really blur it and then just a couple indications of lines added to indicate the direction of the hair. You've done this for the most part so please disregard if you feel it's not appropriate.

Patrick (rat catcher) is a great likeness! Just one note on him, it looks like his forarm (from elbow to wrist) is a bit short. Great expression on him!

Patrick (serious face)- has wonderful nose and mouth- greatly sculpted! Just wondering about the flatness of the bow tie and his jacket. A bit more life added to it would be to give it more air underneath it, so to speak. More pushed up areas to indicate it's fluffing up a bit and fuller.

Great Christopher Lee, screaming face! That would be difficult to pull off and you did it!!

All your portraits are wonderful! Thank you for sharing them.

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2017, 03:09 PM

Thanks!
It's oil based clay I am using.

Usually I can't turn the heads on the initial portraits because either I am following a particular photo reference (true of the Patrick Troughton rat catcher) or they are meant as templates for future portraits and I want to keep them all facing the same direction with the jawline indent the same on both sides.

Though I may break that tradition down the road.

Also, after I make molds, I put the face on my "wall of heads."
Attached Images

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2017, 06:59 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Love your "Wall of Heads"! Very cool,
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2017, 08:55 PM

Thanks! The bottom shows three different Screaming Draculas designs with the final one being the farthest to the left.

On the eyes--I usually carve them out after I make a copy to paint.
I also add cotton strands and apply it over the hair too-but that is down the road for this bunch since the casting material I use Magic Sculpt is currently being held at Customs.
Very annoying since it is difficult to get in Canada except at a taxidermy supply company. Ordering it from Kit Kraft (used to be) easier.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2017, 01:24 PM

Funny, I have a wall of heads too but mine is just one face and I used that face to try out 20 or more ceramic washes and finishes. Makes for an interesting wall piece. Keep up the great work!

What do you mean when you say that you use cotton in casting the hair?

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2017, 02:50 PM

After I make the final head mold, and after I make a wall casting and a free standing copy in hydrostone, I like to make one in epoxy clay for myself-and paint it like a model kit. I add transparent glue for the eyes and also hair and eyelashes.

I am
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2017, 02:50 PM

I use cotton strands over the "clay" hair.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2017, 12:54 PM

Ah, I see, you add cotton to give more texture to the hair and lifelike feel. Very interesting. Look forward to seeing the completed piece

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2017, 05:56 PM

I hope to get to painting some soon, after I get my epoxy clay material from the border. Why it is being held up I have no idea. I have to wait until next week (20 business days) before I can follow up.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2017, 06:03 PM

Frustrating when you want to sculpt and have to wait. I too use Magic Sculpt but not usually for sculpting but mostly for repairs or securing mounting rods in sculpture. Here is CA it is fairly quick to get in the mail though.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2017, 05:59 AM

Yes-that's where I get it from. Pity the Canadian artist.
I mostly used it for repairs myself but then I discovered if I made it really wet and mushed it into my silicon molds it holds the shape perfectly when dry.
Thus it is a good casting material much like a plastic but without the hassle of resin.
Unfortunately I have found no material available in Canada that works as well.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2017, 01:27 PM

Good idea! I will tuck that away as an idea to use with my silicone molds and quick casting. I do plaster casts and they take a good amount of work. I've smushed (great word and should be in the dictionary ) waterbased clay into silicone molds and actually was able to make a beautiful clay sculpture that I fired in a kiln. Where there is a will there is a way.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2017, 10:24 PM

Finally! The material is released. Hopefully I wont have a ridiculously high duty fee to pay at the door.

I have some old pottery clay--I'd like to try the same with a mold--making a pottery clay version of a statue. Better if i could get it "fired" in a kiln.