WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2017, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States
Telling a Story

If this doesn't belong here please move to a more correct forum.

Do your works tell stories? Even if you are the only one who knows what the story is? Help or hinder?

Red Shoes, the painting shown, started as an exercise and by the third iteration "talked to me" and now I have a number of stories about those shoes, why they are there, where there is, and more.

Does a story help you paint or choose a piece to buy?

Red Shoes, 12" X 12" acrylic on stretched canvas:
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2017, 09:38 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States
Re: Telling a Story

IMO, most strong and memorable paintings tell a story, or to put it differently, they express something about the painters special intent--to share an idea, emotion or feeling!

A painting with no intent is simply an exercise in painting color charts. There has to be more than local shapes and local color to make compelling art.

Cameras replicate. Artists innovate!

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2017, 02:28 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

The story does not need to be complex.. not even complete!. You can draw 2 humans in an image and if they do not connect in a logical way as a believable interaction they will not tell a story and they will be just transposition of 2 images... no content between them.

But, if they seem to be looking towards somethign in common for example and have expressions that talk to each other , fore example one look baffled while the other look scared... and you can feel in their gesture that one has its body weight shifting as if its about to run.. while the other transmit a frozen stance.. you are telling a HUGE story! You do not need even to draw what is making them react like that.. you let the observer complete... you you guided him. No one will think you are drawing 2 people that meet after not long seeing each other, or that they are angry after a meeting.. no people will KNOW what you meant!
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2017, 03:08 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

what is a painting if not a story?

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2017, 09:10 AM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

Ka-boom!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2017, 04:24 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

I once took a photography course in college, and our instructor emphasized that a good photograph should either tell a story, or create a mood.

I have remembered that advice all these years, and I have carried that advice to my paintings, because I believe it to be applicable to paintings, as well as to photography.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2017, 07:13 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

Folks paint for a great many reasonable and good purposes: 1) learning to paint with a particular medium; 2) recreation; 3) relief from other stressful life activities; 4) as a social event to be with friends; 4) to exhibit in competitive arenas and sell their work; 5) because they are professional painters; 6) And lots of other purposes, I'm sure.

Recreational, social and beginning painters probably haven't a clue that professional painters--those who exhibit their work in competitive circles, and who sell their work--always have some sort of specific intent for their work, i.e., telling a story; creating a mood or emotion; sharing an idea, etc.

Instead, many early painters strive to replicate what their eyes see, to the best of their technical ability.

Purposeful intent versus replicative technique may be what separates the professional painter from the early and hobby painter.

Nothing at all wrong with either, or any, approach. Each is simply different, based on one's individual experience and purpose for painting.

The trick is to figure out why one wants to paint! :-)

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2017, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast
Jacksonville, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFMartin
I once took a photography course in college, and our instructor emphasized that a good photograph should either tell a story, or create a mood.

I have remembered that advice all these years, and I have carried that advice to my paintings, because I believe it to be applicable to paintings, as well as to photography.

Perfectly stated and right to the point...!!!!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2017, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFMartin

Yes, however there are some differences between photography and painting worth noting. While both mediums can (and should) create mood or tell a story, I think photography tends to be better at telling stories and painting better at setting a mood.

In general photographs tend to be small when compared with paintings and more detailed. It is often subtle little details that make for a great story. You can engage a story with heart or with mind, and once you've "read" the story you can put it aside and think about it.

But mood is more experiential, visceral, needs to saturate, soak in, engulf like the way larger paintings can when they dominate a room, or fill your field of view.

There are of course, tons of examples to the contrary. But I'm just stating what imo each medium naturally does better, and not implying limits.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2017, 08:34 PM
northern Illinois

Hails from United States

I am having the worst struggle with this now, actually, because I have spent my last few months in actual lessons with mostly still life, an now I feel like I learned some technique but lost a lot of the ability to tell a story with my work. It has been a struggle to push past it. I was thinking of doing some political cartoons again like I did waaaaaay back in high school to get thinking of how to get something going.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2017, 08:40 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

a still life can certainly tell a story
the solution is figuring out what you want to say.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek

Last edited by La_ : 11-15-2017 at 08:42 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 10:41 AM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

"...the solution is figuring out what you want to say..."

Yes, exactly. It takes some time to figure out the story one wants to tell in paint. And it needs to be done before picking up a brush, or else one is left to simply hope for some "happy accidents" while painting.

What are some of stories a painter can tell?

A painter can share ideas, emotions or feelings. A painter can transform the subject from something one's eyes see to something one's heart feels. One can change the time of day and the lighting conditions. One can abstract the subject to create a stronger and more dominant result.

It may be challenging, initially, to approach a painting in this manner, but with a little practice it becomes so easy as to be ridiculous. For many of us who paint this way, we'd never go back to painting just what our eyes see...

Different strokes for different folks...

sling paint,
Virgil
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2017, 02:15 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States

For landscapes , I think of it as a visual journey...
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2017, 09:02 AM

Talking Re: Telling a Story

I came across this guy Stefan Baumann on youtube .

He has really given me inspiration . He talks about the use of light as being more important than the shapes and he talks about composition as being probably also more important than the shapes . Without light and composition , the subject is just being replicated but the subject needs to be interpreted by the painter in order for it to be art . We make pictures because it gives us great pleasure to create pleasing art .

I really recommend watching some of Stefan's videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo1...sakd68uig/feed
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2017, 11:12 PM
western PA

Hails from United States

Where are they?