WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2017, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada
finding duplicate images

I just realised I don't know where some of my high resolution images are stored. I found the low res ones. I know there is image matching in google search but trying to figure it out ...
Can google search on my own computer to see all the duplicate images?
Some suggest downloading a free program, various ones suggested -- does anybody here have experience with this? I'd really appreciate the advice.
Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2017, 12:05 AM
Lord of the Arts
Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: finding duplicate images

Google can't search your computer unless there is something new or a program to that specifically.., but if you posted the hi res online,it could find those.

I know Google retired a program called Picasa - when installed it would search your files for all images on your computer and find them..

I think there are a few other photo programs that will find images on your computer and place them into the program for you, I can't think of the names of those. Probably some new ones I don't know about..
Aren't most of your images stored in your pictures/photos folders?
you should be able to sort by file size , to find the hi res..

Or google -
https://www.google.com/search?q=phot...e+files+for+me
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2017, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Thanks! I appreciate your quick reply!
-- I did find a review of a program called visipic -- it looks good. I'm not sure if it's updated to 2017. I would like to hear from somebody who has actually had the same problem and know what they used.
I took a quick look at your link and there may be something there I may use but it's now 11:30pm and I promised myself to get off the computer and go to bed!
My art photos are stored in a special folder -- not in Pictures. The problem is that life has been haywire for the last few years and I got into bad habits. I know I took photos of the last two shows -- I even have some printouts. I have all the edited images for the web but don't know where the high resolution ones are and I'm dizzy looking for them.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2017, 05:15 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

I would use File Explorer with the files sorted by size. Files with the same name but different sizes would show next to each other on the list.

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Thanks Yorky. This might work if I knew the original name of the image -- I renamed the ones I've edited. I can think of various manual ways to find ALL images not in PICTURES but they seem pretty unwieldy. The darn things are floating here and there. Another way would be to see if the originals are on a camera card or flash drive. But even if that does this particular job, I think I'd like to clean up my computer images anyway. Regrets!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2017, 04:19 AM

Hails from Netherlands

I find VisiPics also very handy for searching for duplicate images

http://www.visipics.info/index.php?title=Main_Page
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu
I just realised I don't know where some of my high resolution images are stored. I found the low res ones. I know there is image matching in google search but trying to figure it out ...
Can google search on my own computer to see all the duplicate images?
Some suggest downloading a free program, various ones suggested -- does anybody here have experience with this? I'd really appreciate the advice.
Thanks!

your computer can do its own search. windows 8 and 10 have a magnifying glass in that screen with all the apps. later versions its listed with the other computer's software, you can look in control panel. if you see a file left click and it should give you the location. Now you may have to go into a folder and in where to click to unhide folders, because they are probably saved in a url like this c:/users/public/appdata/1 of these 3 folders Local LocalLow Roaming You may just wanna check that for yourself before you search. in the url you may be better off using computer name than Public.

Hope this helps
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2017, 09:03 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Greece

A bit late in the discussion but the easier way to find duplicated images it to make a search on the home folder with whatever file has the extension .jpg ( or .png) .
Write on the search field *.jpg ( or *.png) and let the file browser to scan the universe. It will bring the images in thumbnails, and then you can easily detect by what you see on each thumbnail and the additional information provided under them, where is each image, what size it has, if there are duplicate versions of the same images in different folders etc.