WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2017, 02:14 AM
U.S.

Hails from United States
Finding Something To Paint

I know this is gonna sound crazy & I realize that we have a reference image library but rarely do I ever find images that suit me.. I am searching after a stripped down, almost hauntingly simple look (for landscapes) I live in south Mississippi & don't have a lot of land of my own to take reference photos.. any suggestions from you guys would be absolutely WONDERFUL
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2017, 03:02 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Finding Something To Paint

that's kind of what abstract art is ... a complex (land)scape, stripped down the the bare necessities. it's a good challenge, give it a try or ten and see where it takes you.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I just posted this in contemp/abstract. As you see, I am painting "nothing." in the process, I began to think it looked like the ariel view of a city in a flood zone. So that strengthened my imagery. This is about "Land." It is a land scape.

I love just freeing myself to instinct. I grab a canvas and throw some paint down. This is not anything specific, just a try to find meaning in the process and the materials.

With plenty of land, why not put your paint stuff in the back of your vehicle and go out there and paint what you see? I do not understand painting only what is on a photograph. I really don't. I mean, the photograph is there. Why paint it? I know a very fabulous cattle farmer, who paints a lot.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2017, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Take a drive, a bike, a walk somewhere the look you're looking for might be hiding. Take your camera and make photos.

When editing the photos crop and keep simple scenes from them. Or paint the entire scene leaving out the details to suit the simplicity you want.

Paint with a palette knife only - almost guaranteed to force you to stripping out details no matter how much you fight it.

Paint from memory, your 'mind's eye'.

Probably some more ideas out there, but these suggestions might help.

R/Mike
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Type in subjects in which you are interested in your search engine window, when the result pops up, select images, and view whatever interests you.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2017, 02:59 AM

I have been working on abstraction. For years i have been influenced by the Blue Rider Group and Das Brucke.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2017, 02:22 PM
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States

JDawn97,
It has been said that art mimics life, when in fact, art re-composes life. Try that, your photo will become reference, and not gospel.
Patrick
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

And if you're still having trouble you could come on over and paint my house for me.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast
Wickenburg, Arizona

I often have the same trouble. I'm housebound for months at a time, and live in nearly total isolation, so finding things to paint can be an uphill battle. I posted about it once in the watercolor section, and was given some great ideas there:

Google Street View for great landscapes. Google does allow using their "Street View" images as reference for paintings and drawings; however I don't believe the uploaded user images are allowed -those are the blue dots on the map views.

Buying objects to use for reference: I ended up at the toy store, and found all kinds of great stuff, from geometric wooden blocks to model animals and toy jewelry. They're great for setting up to use for practice, and when your collection grows too large, there's always a child around who will be delighted to take a few of them home!

Which would be the bigger waste:
your art supplies, or your creative soul?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2017, 12:24 PM

I have painted landscapes for years and began incorporating a little architecture into the work, like residential homes. I paint sloppily or some call it painterly. it looks abstract, but since it still looked like what it was, I did not consider it "true" abstract. Anyway, maybe look around your neighborhood.