WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2017, 03:14 PM

Need help in buying a drawing tablet!

Hey all, I'm looking for a good drawing tablet for my work and I don't want to spend more than $400. I referred this buying guide for drawing tablets and they recommended me XP Pen Artist 10S. Shall I go for it? Is it really a worth buying tablet? Need your suggestions. I want good value for my hard earned money!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2017, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Need help in buying a drawing tablet!

I'm still doing my digital art on an old wacom graphire. Any of the wacom tablets are good in my opinion.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2017, 11:54 PM
Greater Chicagoland

Hails from United States

Go for a comfortable size. There are small ones that aren't worth much.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2017, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepro
Is it really a worth buying tablet?

Do you mean "is it really worth buying a tablet?" Bit hard for the forum to judge this, without knowing what you might need it for. Tablets are certainly fun for lots of digital graphic stuff, if nothing else

BTW, you understand that your preferred tablet is a "SCREEN TABLET" don't you? It's not one of the older style where you draw onto a pressure sensitive plastic sheet, and the drawing appears on your computer monitor... the tablet has a display screen, and you draw "directly" onto it...

There is a review of the XP-Pen here, in case you haven't seen it. It looks really cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vct4DnQ06bI

:::
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2017, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

Save your money and buy a Surface Pro, iPad Pro or Wacom Cintiq Companion. The idea of drawing on an old school tablet when this new tech is available makes me shudder.

UGH! I never got the hang of the weird hand-eye coordination that was required to use one of those things. They always gave me a headache and a burning sensation in my shoulders. I'm pretty sure it was due to the weird, unnatural position I would sit in when using that older tech. Fortunately I haven't suffered any adverse side effects from using the iPad Pro for a year and a half.

www.vincentcreative.net
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Amsterdam

Hails from Netherlands

Copied my reply from another thread from 2 years ago:

I used many different Wacom tablets over the past years professionally. I haven't touched a mouse in 20 years.

Best size for you is very personal. I have used very small and very large tablets. I also had a Cintiq (with a build in screen) for a short time.

The big tablets
If you're the one that paints and draws from the shoulder with big arm movements and if you can afford it, this is your tablet.
I personally found the big tablets clutter my desk too much. And I'm more of a draftsman that draws from the wrist. Besides, dragging a folder or a file on your desktop takes a long arm movement with a big tablet. That makes it act like a really slow mouse.

The small ones
These do the job for me. Not too small but certainly not too big leaves enough space on my desk and doesn't slow me down in the finder and Indesign.

If you're not sure what to get, buying a small one for starters is not a bad idea. See if you can get used to the pen/screen setup and if a tablet is something for you in the first place. If in the end you need a bigger one; just upgrade. If not, you saved yourself a lot of money.

Realise that cheap small tablets have a lower resolution. That sucks when doing 3D, but more importantly when painting in Photoshop or Painter. And a tablet that is really tiny works like it has ADHD when you use it as a mouse.

Cintiq tablets
They're sold as the holy grail in tablet land and they'll cost you a fortune. This is what most freelance visualizers use and I can understand, if drawing is the only thing you do on your computer and considering those people's price per hour. For the record, I also know a visualizer (one of the best in the industry in my country) who said he went through 3 Cintiqs in 2 years because they all broke down and in the end decided against them.
I had one for a short while. It was cool for the first hour. But working on it for 8 hours straight was really bad for my neck. It hurt and it made me nausious. I prefer to look up to my screen, much more relaxed. Also, I use a lot of keyboard combinations when drawing in Photoshop and shifting from the Cintiq to my keyboard was slowing me down too much.
If someone is looking into Cintiqs, it might be an idea renting one for a day or 2 before buying.

I have an Intuos 4x5 at home for personal use next to my MacBook.
And I have a 6x8 at work, with a MacBook with to a 27" monitor in front of me. I like to have my Wacom next to my separate keyboard and a sketchbook with a a tech pencil between me and the keyboard.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2017, 05:53 PM

Hails from England

I'd like to start drawing/painting digitally, and would prefer a screen tablet, but have no idea what to get! Low budget will probably restrict me, but I can save up I guess, though anything more than a couple of hundred quid would be a no-no right now. I'm also dreadful with most tech/software, so would need something really rather intuitive and easy - idiot-proof! Basically, I just want to paint and draw, but digitally. I don't do anything else like 3D design, etc.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webart
I'm still doing my digital art on an old wacom graphire. Any of the wacom tablets are good in my opinion.

I have two of those and one still works!!!! I also have a Vpen??? $35 tablet and is loose like a mouse pad and I have large Huion which is comparable to Wacom, i don't have the info on me, but go to youtube, all those tablets have great reveiw videos. Thats how I wound up with the Huion. (and i still use my cheapy vpen(????) too.

The Huion is almost as big as my last all in decktop. the one i am using now is bigger but makes no difference.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFlights
I'd like to start drawing/painting digitally, and would prefer a screen tablet, but have no idea what to get! Low budget will probably restrict me, but I can save up I guess, though anything more than a couple of hundred quid would be a no-no right now. I'm also dreadful with most tech/software, so would need something really rather intuitive and easy - idiot-proof! Basically, I just want to paint and draw, but digitally. I don't do anything else like 3D design, etc.

that is why i am taking painting lessons, cuz I just can't get my stuff together in Painter. The last time i painted anything I was 22 had one brush and cheap water colors and made huge paintings. Now I am 65 and I need to learn first and hope it stays long enough to transfer it to painter, lol...its the same with drawing. used to draw portraits and animals, couldn't replicate any of that.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2017, 12:32 PM
Midland, MI

Hails from United States

Let me share my perspective as a hobbyist who is just beginning in digital art as a supplement to my work on paper with graphite and colored pencil. My interest is in using the advantages of digital (layers, infinite erasures, etc.) for design and layout. I have an Intous 3 (old ) digitizer tablet with an HP Envy laptop and a 24" Dell secondary monitor ( on which I do my digital work).

I have watched most of the YouTube video reviews of the various screen tablet digitizers, those made by Wacom as well as the various Chinese knock-offs.

I suggest that one's choice as between a screen digitizer, such as the Cintiq or the X-Pen and a tablet digitizer such as the Intous should depend mostly upon one's work style. Some folks cannot look at a drawing appear on a screen while their hand is controlling the cursor motion on a tablet they are not watching. If that is the case, or if they just like to draw on a glass screen, then that's what they should do. The decision between a Cintiq and a knock-off should be a balance between budget and need for features offered by the particular device.

For myself, the decision was easy, to upgrade my Intous 3 to an Intous Pro. This gives me most of the features of a Cintiq as I already have a large-format monitor, without my having to draw on a glass screen, which I compare unfavorably to dragging my fingernails across a blackboard!