WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2017, 04:37 PM

Friends

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Friends
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I saw this wonderful photo of 2 firemen from a friend and although it is very blue, I just had to try to paint it. I tried for a more loose approach, but I don't think I was that loose. I made up the colors pretty much because their coats are really a mustard color. I thought the photo had some humor to it too. I would appreciate any comments to make this a better painting as I would like to give it to the gal whose husband is in the photo. Please be tough, so this can be a better painting, firemen are special !!!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would especially like feedback on color and brushwork, but any feedback is welcome.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2017, 05:33 PM

Hails from Canada
Re: Friends

I really like this. My dad was a firefighter, so I know how special they are!

The only thing I might comment on is the face shields would reflect more of the environmental colours (blue & green) rather than just the uniform colour.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2017, 07:43 PM

Admin please post to "Structured Critique " section. Thank you.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 08:26 AM

Your painting of the firefighters is unique. It conveys a sense of camaraderie. The lines in the painting seem to draw the viewer toward the face masks. The two firefighters are leaning in toward each other, creating some interesting shapes.

If the face masks (or the meeting of face masks) are your intended focal point you could strengthen that area by enhancing reflections and/or contrast.

Another element of composition that you might want to improve would be the bottom of picture. The right hand figure's foot is dropping off the page. Perhaps moving the figures back a bit and grounding them with shadows??

Would an analogous color scheme on the uniforms help to increase interest and lead the eye through painting?

The painting shows technical skill - textures, detail, etc.

Overall very interesting painting.

Claudia
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2017, 05:50 PM

Thank you Claudia for your comments, they are much appreciated ! I think you are right about the foot, at the time it seemed right. When you say analogous color schemes on the uniforms, do you mean the blue straps of their gear? or the blue shadow in their pants? I was originally going to have all the shadows be blue but that got confusing, it would be better than to use a darker yellow for those shadows too.

Thanks again that was very helpful.
Brooke
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2017, 08:16 PM

Brooke
I was speaking of analogous color scheme on uniforms. At first glance it looked all yellow, but now that I am taking a closer look, I see oranges, and orange-yellow...so you have used the a. color scheme.

Nice work.
Claudia
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2017, 01:56 AM
Olympia, Wa. USA

Hails from United States

I like your colors and your painting style. Very well done. What bothers me is the fact that the feet are on the bottom of the canvas and one foot is cut off. My eye keeps being drawn down to the bottom. I don't know how you would change that without doing the picture over.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2017, 10:26 AM
Kansas

Hails from United States

The color looks fine to me because it stays in a common palette (gamut). I like the uniform level of detail of the brushwork.

As cclark40a says:

Quote:
Another element of composition that you might want to improve would be the bottom of picture. The right hand figure's foot is dropping off the page. Perhaps moving the figures back a bit and grounding them with shadows??

I wonder what you are trying to do with the background. It can be read as literal smoke which makes the foreground all the more out of place. Could you try putting in the foreground of the photo at least up the knees? Maybe a few wisps of smoke in front?
Knoweth the artist not?
Sidney Lanier 1878
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2017, 05:31 PM

Thank you Joel, Carolyn and C CLark for the comments, I will think about your suggestions the next time I paint these, because I really like the pose. I was trying to have the fireman on the right come at you but I guess that didn't work out. I'll add something for them to stand on and make sure those really look like trees in the back ground. I can do the subjects OK but I have a lot of trouble with backgrounds and are never quite sure what to do with that space.