WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2017, 04:02 PM

Transferring from community college... how's my portfolio look?

Hello!

PORTFOLIO CAN BE FOUND HERE: http://katie-woolley.squarespace.com

I'll keep this brief because I would just love some feedback.

I have earned an AFA in Fine Art from a community college, and I am currently at the same school now taking humanities classes for a Public Relations degree (which I am not intending on completing). My heart belongs in art, and I really want to make a living as an artist, and I feel that I have to complete what I started, including getting my MFA. I understand the alternatives to going to art school but they're not an option at this time for a complex variety of reasons.

Here's what I am wondering...

1. My portfolio is out of date, and not representative of my ideas and understanding of contemporary art. This is just class assignments. I never really explored finding my voice or making a cohesive body of work while I was at school. How much will this hurt me when applying to BFA programs?

2. Looking at the current state of my portfolio, what types of pieces should I use my limited time and resources on making to supplement it?

3. Anything I should cut out?

4. Although I will most likely end up at at the cheapest in-state school I get accepted to for financial reasons, I am curious if anyone thinks I have the chops for a school like RISD, MICA, VCUarts, etc.

Thank you SO MUCH!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2017, 09:15 AM

Re: Transferring from community college... how's my portfolio look?

Since you recently finished an AFA, the best people to ask would be your former teachers who have worked with you, and any other advisers within that program. AFA students usually do go on to pursue a BFA, so there should be advising available to you (even if you graduated a year or two ago).

As for your portfolio, you've got some strong pieces in there; while there's a lot of stylistic variation, most of the pieces are interesting. A lot of artists can do detailed realism (the playing cards), but stink at abstraction--or vice versa. But you can obviously do both. And I like your color sense.

The two I'd definitely remove are the still life painting with pears, and the figure drawing on newsprint. Neither are up to the skill level shown in the rest of your work, and don't add anything to your portfolio.

If you had to remove one more, I'd suggest the monochromatic surreal painting. I can see a relationship between your realist illustrations and abstract works, but that one just doesn't seem to fit in. If it's an early work, I'd consider removing it; if it's recent, then maybe not.

As far as what to add, more drawings from life are always good; strong drawing (observational) skills will put you at a big advantage. And these could be life drawings from a model, or they could be still lifes, people in cafes, buildings, whatever interests you.

And honestly, don't get all in knots about "finding your voice" or "making a cohesive body of work," at this point. There will be time for that. For now, you just need to show that you have skills that can be built upon, and I'd definitely say you've got those.

Oh, and if you think you might want to veer toward the kind of realism represented by the playing cards or Chinese food carton, consider getting into an illustration program, rather than fine arts. I've known a lot of illustrators over the years who had an easy time shifting into fine art, and they got much better skills training than the fine artists did.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2017, 01:14 AM

That was such great advice, thank you for the thorough reply! I can't tell you how much i appreciate it. I'm taking everything you said into consideration. The validation alone, even from a stranger, is very valuable.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2017, 09:42 AM
Denmark

Hails from Denmark
Transferring from community college hows my portfolio

When you find such people, what do you plan to do on their behalf in return for their co-operation?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2017, 10:56 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

If you can even get an MFA in computer illustration, you will have more job prospects than just getting a BFA. The BFA can be from anywhere. The work you should be doing is what you said, working on your own voice, and getting a body of work. You can do that on your own, obviously.

The MFA will allow you to teach art at a community college/college. It is a terminal degree, which is even better. That can be about 30-40k per year (in fly-over states). I believe once you have 16? to 18 hours in a Master's program, you are hireable as a teacher, so you do not even need to finish school. I am saying this because as a college student you may have a large debt to pay off, and you also need to live and get more art supplies and do the things that professionals do.