WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Airbrush
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2017, 11:53 AM

Newbie question: painting a smooth sky

I'm not entirely new to airbrushing, but I do use it to complement some of my brush-based acrylic work.

I have a few airbrushes, one of which is an el cheapo Badger (with canister) used for ceramics that I felt would be good for painting larger swaths of sky. My surfaces tend to be on the large side > 22" up to 60" (rarely).

One problem I've had is in getting an evenly graded sky. That is, painting in a slightly transparent color evenly, so that the white creates a brighter color. I've had mixed luck with this.

At one point, I used my Iwata Spray Gun and that was a disaster. Clearly, I'm not doing this correctly.

With a normal brush, I've tried (with acrylic) stippling, etc. Wet into wet is not desirable, as using white mutes the color -- other techniques leave brush strokes behind.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate this. This is clearly my needing to learn technique.

Thank you!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2017, 07:18 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany
Re: Newbie question: painting a smooth sky

My advice is make it on layers...
First step is to make the first background layer, start directly with the color. What you are trying to do is to use the same color evenly for the complete surface. Once you get this you can add some gradient effects easier.

You need to mix the color before you put it in the AB, such that is evenly sprayed. for big surfaces I use normal acrylics (see here how to mix) Keep the proportion of the mix for you to make more after if needed.
- Mask (cover/protect) what you don't want to be painted and cover everything that goes in another color or can be contaminated. Take special care on this.
- Use thicker paint for the first layers (less water), high pressure and more diluted second layer... put as many layers you need to make it even.
-Follow an order, keep the distance to the canvas always constant, and move at constant speed.
-Don't stay too much in a spot, overspray, or put too much paint that it drips. Wait a bit between layers, let them dry before you add the next.
-Do not use the AB too close or you'll make texture or damage/remove prior layers. Its better to be further than closer.
-Use as much paint as you need... You'll be surprised how many times you have to pass to make it look constant.
-have fun
This is an example: 1.5x0.5 m, the blue sky is airbrushed and is perfectly flat with 1 single color:
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2017, 11:35 AM

If you wanted to look online, you could do a search for airbrushing a fade. That's what it sounds like you're looking for.

Your key will be fluid control and distance. By this I mean that with the same amount of fluid being sprayed from the airbrush your spray will me more diffused the further away from the surface you get. So with a sky you can start closer at the top and saturate the color more, then as you make horizontal passes of color move farther and father away from the surface as you work your way down. With practice you should be able to establish a gradient of color. You could also make a few different shades of blue and after you finish the first lightest one, you can repeat with a darker tone, say a Prussian over the first gradient of pthlao, but start fading out faster so you finish the fade around the middle of your first fade.

I hope that makes sense
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2017, 01:51 PM

Thank you both, this is really helpful information that I can learn from
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2017, 02:58 AM
Enthusiast

A quick trick sign writers use is to mix a base Blue (in this case). The mix 50/50 with white and then 50/50 with black. Spray or brush the mid blue you made and then use the dark mix for your deepest Blue and the light mix for the brightest Blue. This is a basic white-mid gray-black trick used by photographers using "Adobe Photoshop"
I would follow "fedetony" post and remember; spraying tonal graduations takes time and practice, so don't give up. You should consider a better air source... those cans cost a ton over time. Back in the 60's I used an 8 ply truck tire and with an adapter. The guy at the local gas station, hated me filling it up at 8 or 9 at night...lol
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:55 AM

I am trying to do a graded blue sky with no clouds in watercolor. What my problem is that I am getting small 'pimples' in the sky after wetting paper first than doing the brushing with a fairly large brush. When I apply the paint straight without wetting the paper it does not have the pimples. Can someone help with this?