WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Marine Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2017, 08:14 PM

Creating a 3D perspective ship from 2D plans?

Do you guys know of any web pages or books that explain how to make a perspective drawing of a sailing ship by using the 2D plans? I don't even understand how to interpret 2d ship plans. If there's a book that tells how to understand 2D ship plans, then that would help a lot. I do have a lot of technical tutorial videos of how to draw in 1, 2, and 3 point perspective, so I know how to do that much. I want to be able to take the 2D plans of any old square rigger sailing ship of my choosing, then make a fairly accurate 3D perspective drawing of it, and put it into a seascape painting. Alternatively I'd like to be able to take a 2D ship plan and enter its data into 3D computer software, then print out an image, and then put it into a painting. Here's the kind of ship plan I'm talking about:
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2017, 02:11 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales
Re: Creating a 3D perspective ship from 2D plans?

I know how to build a ship from a set of plans if that is any help?
You will need a set of offsets as well as the plans.

Though I usually stay away from computers.

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2017, 02:56 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

An intriguing problem. You could start by using free transform on the deck plan in a drawing program. Some have perspective grid facilities.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2017, 04:58 PM
A Local Legend
Auchtermuchty Fife Scotland

Hails from Scotland

[quote=SeaScapePtr]Do you guys know of any web pages or books that explain how to make a perspective drawing of a sailing ship by using the 2D plans? I don't even understand how to interpret 2d ship plans. If there's a book that tells how to understand 2D ship plans, then that would help a lot. I do have a lot of technical tutorial videos of how to draw in 1, 2, and 3 point perspective, so I know how to do that much. I want to be able to take the 2D plans of any old square rigger sailing ship of my choosing, then make a fairly accurate 3D perspective drawing of it, and put it into a seascape painting. Alternatively I'd like to be able to take a 2D ship plan and enter its data into 3D computer software, then print out an image, and then put it into a painting. Here's the kind of ship plan I'm talking about:
[/QUOTE

Don't you think you are using a sledge hammer to crack a nut here?.
Through all the 2D's 3D's and computer speak, really, what you want to do, is paint a sailing ship at sea. Something which has been done for centuries.
All the information is there, you as an artist should be able to visualise it. Look at it as a ship being a funny shaped house, with bits stuck on here and there. Study some pictures of sailing ships, you'll soon find your way around them.
You could always try the Digital Art thread. The guys there might be able to help.
Jim
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2017, 02:23 PM

Hails from England

To visualise the 2D plans in 3D you'd have to build the 3D model in an application such as Blender based on the plans. But it'd be an entire hobby in it's own right just finding your way around the 3D modelling application.