WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Classical Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2017, 11:09 PM

Hails from United Nations
Where to get natural red chalk?

Hi there, I'm looking for sources for natural red chalk (sanguine) pieces. I've done a search here on WC but the only threads I could find were dated and the sources listed (Synopia, Studio Products, etc) are either no longer selling it or are out of business. Many thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2017, 04:12 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales
Re: Where to get natural red chalk?

L. Cornelissen of London stock it but you will not necessarily find it in there catalogue.
When I went to the shop the assistant had to go down in the cellar and brought up a large hessian sack from which I could chose the lumps I wanted. It does vary in colour.
It was then weighed up and I paid by weight. If you make inquires with them it’s called Lump Sanguine.

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2017, 12:36 PM

Hails from United Nations

Thanks, Dave!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman
L. Cornelissen of London stock it but you will not necessarily find it in there catalogue.
When I went to the shop the assistant had to go down in the cellar and brought up a large hessian sack from which I could chose the lumps I wanted. It does vary in colour.
It was then weighed up and I paid by weight. If you make inquires with them it’s called Lump Sanguine.

Dave.

Im just on that same search, I bet you enjoyed that visit, intend to go myself next time Im in London, its the artists' mecca. love the idea of that hessian sack
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2017, 01:07 PM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Here is a taster for you David, this painting by Bernard Dunstan is of the old shop but the new shop has become just as cluttered and full of wonderful things .

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2017, 10:33 AM

Thanks Dave. I havent visited yet but emailed them and a quick phone call got me two pots of sanguine rock. I've made some experiments and produced a stick with sanguine dust and gum tagaranth. Yes, you can use it in rock form but it can have impurities in it which can cause scratching. The stick produced great results and you can sandpaper it to a pencil point and use the dust to recycle. A wonderful material and a great company to deal with

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2017, 10:37 AM

As an addition to my last post, some formulae recommend adding a little preservative to the gum tragacanth solution. There are various, but watercolor formulae suggest a drop or two of clove oil. I've added a little to my latest mix.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2017, 07:20 AM

Following my last posts, I've experimented more with sanguine. Results to date have ben very scratchy and the stick is a little too hard with gum tragacanth. My lastest result needed a considerable amount of grinding both in the mortar and pestle and with a muller. I think it could have done with even more griding but its hard work to produce really fine dust by hand.

I have discovered an old renaissance recipe using a weak honey solution as the binder. I've also tried this with other pigments and its very effective, others of you may have tried this. It significantly reduces the dust with some pigments but not so much with sanguine.

Sanguine in its natural form is tricky to work with and its said that the best sanguine lumps are now in very short supply and often contain streaks of other minerals. Certainly the samples I have are not pure.

Whilst its wonderful to work with the same materials as the masters, these days its probably better to use modern materials.