WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2017, 12:37 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Rob's 2017 Sketches

Did it! Started this on January 1st! Colored it today on the 2nd and got the photo, but this horse was done from life on January 1st. Bodes well for my haphazard attempt to return to daily art.

Red Mare from Life
3 1/2" x 5"
Pigma Micron 01 and Derwent Inktense, washed.

Coloring her counts for today's unless I do something else. Which I might.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2017, 03:20 PM
Monterey, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Rob's 2017 Sketches

Happy New Year, Robert! Good for you on getting back to daily sketching/art. I'm trying to do the same this year.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Happy New Year! From life - yay!
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2017, 02:21 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Purr thank you! Keeping on with the same little Pentalic journal... didn't paint yesterday but here's today's!

Sissy Cat and Shiny Ornament Page (Life)
3 1/2" x 5"
Pigma Micron 01 and Sennelier watercolors
Pentalic Nature Journal 100lb watercolor paper.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Yay kitty!
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2017, 06:36 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Purr thank you!

Today's another, an important one. I have done this pattern in variations in a bunch of different sketchbooks dating back to the early 90s. I got it from a book I bought in 1992 or 1993, sometime around then while I was in New Orleans and active in the SCA. Immediately copied out the 12 Basic Knots but rearranged them. Ever since have been rearranging them to have an exemplar page to work out new knotwork designs with.

LOST the dang thing despite having done it lots of times. Buried in my stuff that didn't move to San Francisco, along with the source book. I finally found one from 2005 hiding on DeviantArt, so copied the knots today and rearranged a little to fit them into a new pocket moleskine. The old one only has a few open pages and I wasn't going to do this again a month later. Time to start the new book!

12 Basic Knots sampler
3 1/2" x 5 1/4"
Pigma Micron and Derwent Inktense washed on pocket Moleskine Watercolor journal.
Drawn and designed from a previous sketchbook page from 2005 and so on back to a book I owned in 1993 or 1994 and still have buried. Reference page of Celtic knots for designing knotwork.

I have an SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) event on Saturday and wanted this in a sketchbook I'd have on me. The event is "Newbie" and there's bound to be people curious about the knotwork that I'd love to hand that out to, or at least let them snap a photo with their phones. I tend to show people how to do knotwork but without this, it's hard to remember all of the particular knots or what works best for what kind of design.

It's not my cleanest drafted one but it's tolerable. I have been more precise when my eyes were better and it wasn't as bitter cold.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2017, 01:35 AM
Utah

Hails from United States

Such lively a horse and cat, great definition in the structure of the kitty, makes feel real solid.

Your knotwork is so cool, it's something that I'd like to get into, but I know currently, I don't have the focus or patience required, maybe someday soon I'll give it a try. Although I feel there should be quotation marks around "basic" in that title page...lol. Looks like a lot to remember.

http://www.twitter.com/CuriousOh
https://www.instagram.com/curiousoh/
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2017, 06:53 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oh it is a lot to remember, that's why I made my little cheat sheet as the first page in the journal. If I want to add knotwork to anything later in the journal, I'll flip back to that page to see what designs I want to use. They're pretty easy to copy. In fact, that relates to today's art!

I signed up to do a class at Gulf Wars in March, so I had to create a version of the 12 Knots page that I could have copied at Kinko's. With a full sheet to work on, I was also able to put the construction method instructions in the center, so I think the handout came out well. I'm going to have 100 of them printed and stash several copies in various places. I used to have a lovely one that I created for a class in the 90s, but no copies of it survived.

Thus this one, which is pretty simple and basic. Anyone who takes the class can also color it to get more familiar with what the knots do and how many strands are involved - some of them have two strands working into each other and that shows up in the coloring.

12 Basic Knots Class Handout
8 1/2" x 11"
Pigma Micron pen on Stonehenge paper, designed freehand.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2017, 05:11 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

And today's is ...

Maggie Waiting
3 1/2" x 5"
Pigma Micron pen and Daniel Smith watercolor on Pentalic journal
From my own photo.

I had my pocket journal handy and used a Kindle photo of Maggie to do this, first in pencil and then Pigma Micron with the little Richeson 8 color pocket watercolor tin that I refilled with Daniel Smith watercolors. I still use that one a lot, though what's frustrating is that I can't seem to find the Quinacridone Gold tube to refill it, so I'm short on Quinacridone Gold in it. Very frustrating when I love that color.

At some point I'll find a box or tub or something that has the 10 Color Wheel set in it plus a couple of other favorites and it's entirely possible I will have replaced more than half of them due to frustration at not finding it. I did replace Hansa Yellow Light because that was an essential. Quinacridone Gold is up next, seriously.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2017, 02:02 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Life Sketch of Trees
3 1/2" x 5"
Pigma Micron 01 and Sennelier watercolors on Pentalic journal.

Second day keeping up daily sketching, so this is going well. I was outside having a smoke, noticed these trees and decided to have a go. Added the cardinal at the end to brighten it by contrast.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2017, 08:51 AM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Love your animal sketches...a horse from life...they don't like to stand still for too long. Good jobs on the knots!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2017, 10:56 AM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Good idea to add the cardinal for a pop of colour. Love Maggie's profile
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2017, 07:15 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Purr thank you! The horse stood still for a good long time, I was happy about that. I love Maggie's profile too, she's such a pretty dog.

Today I've made progress on my latest project, an Award of Arms scroll. Next step is calligraphy in Irish Half-Uncial with a fancy capital I haven't designed yet, just sketched in. The border's inked.

First stage, design and text block design.

Second stage, knotwork penciled.

Third stage, knotwork inked.

Original Award of Arms scroll, Celtic style
9" x 12" pen on Arches 140lb hot press paper.

Final version will be painted with color and have calligraphy, the calligraphy's the tricky bit I need to get done tomorrow along with coloring and rubrication - going around the design with little red dots.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2017, 09:29 AM
Lord of the Arts
U.S.A.

Hails from United States

Robert, I really have no idea of what an "Award of Arms" scroll is, but looking at the intracacy of the knot work, I look forward to seeing it in color and completed.
Regards,
Greg.
P.S. - To show how enlightened I am, I had to look up "rubrication".

Last edited by Monastic Bat : 01-26-2017 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Addition of a Post Script.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2017, 03:51 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you! LOL yeah, so did I when I first heard of it. Rubrication is adding outlines of red dots to the fancy capital and maybe the border or other elements. I'll definitely do it on the fancy W, probably do it on the knotwork too in order to make the whole thing livelier.

Got the text done!

AoA Scroll, Text Finished
Pigma Micron, dip pen and pencil on 9" x 12" Arches hot press WC paper.