WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2016, 05:44 PM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

A couple finished - Xpost

Two more 5X7 Casein Paintings. The second is probably not quite finished. I need a bit more time to think.

There is a shift in both value and chroma as casein dry. They do not all achieve the same degree of a matte finish. The violet in the second did not dry as matte and therefore remained darker. This is not bad or good but worth my remembering.

I use water to manage the consistency of the painting. I live in a dry climate and the furnace at this time of year dries the air further. Controlling the paint is like hitting a moving target. I do use a Stay-wet palette. C&C welcome. Gary

Freising Germany
Name:  IMG_8529.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  67.8 KB

My Wife in the Tauber Valley
Name:  IMG_8536.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  78.4 KB
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2017, 09:32 AM
Lord of the Arts
Salisbury, Maryland

Hails from United States
Re: A couple finished - Xpost

These look fantastic! The notes you have made for the slight value and chromatic shift are important things to recognize with Casein, I have noticed these as well. I am currently trying to identify the shift in a calculated manner, from what I can tell it is the base color of the casein binder itself (which like acrylic has a slight white appearance by itself). The shift appears to be roughly a half shade in value (in a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the darkest), the chromatic shift may just be the way it is transmitting light (as light is refracted in different direction when dry when compared to wet).

A varnish can be applied to unify the surface sheen and restore chromatic brilliance of the colors according to literature, though I have not done so myself as of yet. I would think the varnish would be absorbed into the rather absorbent surface of dry casein making it irreversible honestly. . . but that might not really be the case. Either way, using a varnish removes that matte appearance, though the casein binder itself could be used as a unifying element as a final top coat (it dries clear from what I have read), that should retain the matte look.

Are these still on gessobord you have been using recently? I make a chalk ground on hardboard or plywood panels myself, works very nicely for Casein (my recent painting of a Yorkie was done on such a ground).

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2017, 09:57 AM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

Thanks for commenting Delo.

I think your comments about wet vs. dry appearance are right. Gurney makes a similar point in his DVD, "Casein in the Wild".

I am going to test varnish one of two paintings after they completely cure, which Richeson says is about 2 weeks. Gurney says that varnishing will deepen the darks again. That is taking a bit of chance. I might not like the effect.

I am using Gessobord. I have ordered Claybord to test. I have some surfaces that I have gessoed and will test them as well. I am painting small with details and think that I need a smooth surface. Your Yorkie and Flowers are larger and more painterly. I also want to test using Caseins as an underpainting for oils and think I will use a surface with more tooth for that.

Caseins are fun. Gary

Last edited by Trikist : 01-01-2017 at 10:02 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2017, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast
Deep in the American South

Hails from United States

I just noticed that both have a very strong diagonal element that pulls me in - the bright patch of sunlight leads me up the hill and into the scene in Freising, and the leaning tree, along with the wall and lampost, kind of frames the figure in her spot of sun in Tauber. And there's a nice distribution of lights and darks overall in both paintings. Very nice to look at!

I was given a Gurney book as a Christmas gift. I hope he talks about using casein in it. I really like the look of the paint in what I'm seeing here in the forum.

Art is life's dream interpretation.
- Otto Rank
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2017, 01:32 PM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

Thanks Lamar. I appreciate your observations and kind words.

Gurney's Book "Color and Light" does not address Caseins as I remember. It is my favorite art book and sends me off thinking of color choice possibilities. Hope that you enjoy it as much.

Gurney's Blog does an good job of introducing Caseins with some short clips on how he works with them. Just click on Casein Painting in the Blog Index.

Gary
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2017, 08:51 PM
Japan

Hails from Japan

Very eye catching, the way you have worked the lights and shadows is skillful, looking forward to seeing more.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2017, 12:58 PM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

Thanks Colin. I know that you have recently moved into WMO's. It is a great pleasure but also sometimes a test to try a new medium. Gary
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2017, 04:07 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Truly beautiful works, Gary! Never tried casein but maybe will now. It is very dry here in west Texas, too.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2017, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Raleigh, NC, USA

Hails from United States

lovely work!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2017, 02:07 PM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

Thanks Kay. I have been using a spray bottle judiciously and it keeps the painting flowing pretty well. I like it better than the stay wet paper, though I keep my pile of paint on a wet paper towel. I find caseins a little easier to keep open than acrylics.

Thanks Michael. Gary