WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 10:53 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Using Paper as a support (ideal for storage)

Some new folks here not likely to remember me...I was one of the original staffers, and plein air forum was one I advocated for and help create, then moderated many years along with other forums. Going back...we could find hundreds of threads of how to's, helps by so many generous souls...and if you are prolific eventually what to do with all the paintings sorta sneaks up on you. I wish I could snap a finger and resurrect some of those with so much useful information. But..I recently came up with one solution for myself and thought it might be helpful or useful.

This past summer I had my first burn pile...which didn't go over so well on social media, some thinking it is better to give work away. But, it was liberating, and I needed space. Canvases, panels, frames take up room.

I think about 8-9 years ago in one of our discussions, perhaps it was Marc Hanson that mentioned the use of Arche's Huiles Oil paper...and I have done quite my share of paintings on that. Very useful, easy to carry in a large pad, and I found spraying Krylon Conservator's Retouch varnish (also a suggestion of Marc's when I asked him)...on the paper just before using made it easier. The paper was so absorbative that it dragged the brush so much. The retouch worked its way into the paper enough, and then created some greater ease of painting.

Well...I was reading on social media, and in conversation artist Scott Christensen mentioned he was using a Kraft paper...called Thunderbolt, for studies. Since I just retired instructing art in the physical classroom...I managed the habit and discipline of painting...but contract time in the art room gave me no time to really market. I have several galleries, but I have had no time to visit, push, find new sources. Something I need yet to do...soon.

So, I have paintings everywhere stacked, in hutches, overhead shelves I made in an attached room leading to the garage...EVERYWHERE.

So...this paper, is 80# cardstock. I do not like painting on white surfaces because white being a cool color makes the slightest warmth in a color read warmer than it is...and you will find as the painting fills in, you have to go back and tweak and rework. So, I like painting on a neutral ground, or warm. The Thunderbolt is a warmer brown paper and is perfect in that regard.

I tape the paper to a board...spray two coats of Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac (available at many hardware outlets, even Walmart)...let dry. Then just before painting I might spray the Krylon retouch varnish...but not always.

Here then are some images that will explain and I'll walk thru...

First the paper...8-1/2"x 14"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 10:58 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Using Paper as a support (ideal for storage)

After I paint...I trim about an inch around...and simply tape it to the side of one of my bookshelves. When I get about four or five taped, I know the first three at least are dry. Using Gamblin's nonsolvent gel (a siccative and nice medium) the paint will be dry to touch in 4-5 days. I will then lay each in a bin with a separate sheet of wax paper so that none will stick to another.
Attached Images

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 10:59 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

As a storage solution, I have about 24 paintings in this bin right now...and should be about to get about 30 more. Much easier to stack these.

Later...I could glue paper to hardboard or foam core if I wanted, and then frame...
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2016, 03:41 AM
Texas

Hails from United States

Larry, thank you for sharing this. Your painting are outstanding. I've got canvas stacked all around and never seem to have the room.
C A
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Virginia

Hails from United States

Hi Larry,
Thanks so much for sharing the info about the cardstock and your prep for oils. Have you used it as a support for gouache and, if so, do you prep in any way? I like painting on a toned support especially with gouache and it would be great to be able to use those 100 sheets in two media.
Laura
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2017, 09:56 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauresa
Hi Larry,
Thanks so much for sharing the info about the cardstock and your prep for oils. Have you used it as a support for gouache and, if so, do you prep in any way? I like painting on a toned support especially with gouache and it would be great to be able to use those 100 sheets in two media.
Laura

I have painted most my gouache Orks on acid free matboard and can relate to the toned surfaces as a preference.

I need to break my gouache out of hiding, having been cranking out oils. I see no real issue why gouache would not work. It remains stiff, dries flat using oils. The cardstock does absorb...and the brush feels like it is dragging without prep.

The shellac works well for oils, but we need something that will.marriahe well for water.solubles. Gamblin makes a number of GAC mediums that seal surfaces nicely. It would be a matter of checking out which GAC is better on the Gamblin.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:08 PM

Thanks Larry, I've been thinking about using paper, and this post helps a lot!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:43 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Thanks, Debra...appreciate hearing...