WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 04:41 PM
Lord of the Arts
Salisbury, Maryland

Hails from United States
Flowers Underpainting

This is a start of a painting I am working on from my own reference of some flowers outside my apartment complex.

I worked up the composition quickly and have blocked in the area quickly, I will worry about refining it later but wanted to get the major shapes and flow of color in place. This is on cardboard that has begun to warp slightly from the casein paint, which is normal, but this painting is just a little something for myself for practice so I am not terribly concerned with how long it lasts (or I would have painted it on a more durable surface).

Working in Casein is a real joy, I love the fact that I can reactivate areas to rework as I see fit for the next few days, and my palette (of all 3 of my colors, Burnt Umber, Titanium White, and Ultramarine Blue) has been staying good for the past 3 days in a stay wet palette.

I used only a number 2 flat hog hair bristle brush for this so far, with my only medium being water. Casein has been the most wonderful kind of paint I have used besides oils, being everything I like about painting in other mediums without the drawbacks of any particular medium. Wish I had found it a decade ago as it is quickly becoming my go to medium for sketching, underpainting, and studies.

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast
Deep in the American South

Hails from United States
Re: Flowers Underpainting

Nice! It looks pretty good as-is. I'll be curious to see what you so with it.

It's almost a grisaille at this point, which makes me wonder if glazes can be done in casein?

Art is life's dream interpretation.
- Otto Rank
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 03:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
Salisbury, Maryland

Hails from United States

I'm pretty certain that thinned casein, diluting the color with either casein binder, an emulsion, or just water could be applied in very gradual washes over this to produce a very nice finished piece. I like to use oil over my Casein as I can do that in the same day without the casein mixing or lifting with my oil paint, effectively glazing in oils over a casein underpainting. I have begun that process already and some areas have needed considerable lightning as the grisaille effect is a touch too dark in areas, thus I have added some significant amounts of white to some of my colors. Most of the areas I've begun to work on though are just glazed with fairly pure colors, particularly a Quinacridone Rose for the petals. I will post a link to that when I get further along, but I wanted to get everything evenly covered in a glaze of oils before I show it.

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 04:22 PM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

I like the painterly nature of this grisaille. I saw your finished terrier and it worked great. I will look forward to seeing the final version of this painting. Gary
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2016, 06:06 PM
Enthusiast
Deep in the American South

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
II have begun that process already and some areas have needed considerable lightning as the grisaille effect is a touch too dark in areas, thus I have added some significant amounts of white to some of my colors.

I've tried to do a grisalle and glaze painting in alkyds, and both times I got way dark right out of the gate. I plan to try again at some point with awareness of that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
Most of the areas I've begun to work on though are just glazed with fairly pure colors, particularly a Quinacridone Rose for the petals. I will post a link to that when I get further along, but I wanted to get everything evenly covered in a glaze of oils before I show it.

Bet that q. rose looks awesome on the flower. Looking forward to updates!

Art is life's dream interpretation.
- Otto Rank