WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 01:55 PM

painting chine colle paper

Has anyone had success with painting Chine Colle paper?
I bought some coloured paper, but find the colour a bit flat as I am using it for quite a large area - not just a highlight. I was thinking of buying some white to use instead of the coloured paper, and painting first with water colour or ink. Has anyone tried this. thanks.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2017, 08:48 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: painting chine colle paper

a good question actually
here's my comment
since chine colle usually involves fairly thin paper my question is how will the paper fare with addition of moisture from water-based media. I recently dampened a piece of sumi paper (kozo) to apply w/c onto for collage and noticed it was affected and dried out with ridges and valleys making it unusable. Perhaps there are different grades of Japanese paper that might behave differently? Or maybe I should have secured it first to a board like watercolour paper with tape and let it dry that way?

anyhow maybe some others can pipe in and offer some advice

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2017, 09:22 PM

Thanks for your input, it went very quiet...!
I think you're right about the change in texture. I had a go at painting some of the coloured paper I have, and it was very difficult to work with, as it sort of went stodgy after gluing making it hard to arrange on the plate. Then when it went through the press the paper didn't stick down very well.

I'm not sure taping down when painting will help as the problem was with the texture. I was using the correct paste but I'm guessing some dry powder that I've seen used would be better.

Thanks
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2017, 01:30 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

when I have incorporated chine colle I usually use dry granules of wheat paste powder instead of applying a wet paste. I diffuse the dry powder through a layer of fine cheesecloth secured over the jar top using an elastic band. I lightly shake a bit out allowing it to fall over the surface of the tissue thin collage paper. I then spray a fine mist of water over top which activates the particulate and allows a good bonding to the main sheet that is set over top.

I know other artists who have tea-stained papers to use for collage. I believe they used gampi paper which is very thin and strong fibered. It might be worth getting a small piece and trying watercolour on it?

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2017, 07:38 AM

I watched some youtube videos and they were all using a powder not glue, I've not seen any powder in the UK, is it something you can just buy from a supermarket? Is it a product that has another culinary use?

Funnily enough...I just ordered some Gampi two days' ago - I have a feeling it will still be a bit thin, but I'll give it a go.

Thanks for your help.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2017, 10:05 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

The wIheat paste powder I use was purchased from a hardware store in the USA.

It can probably also be found at a retailer specializing in wallpaper and wall sizing.
I Googled under search criteria UK wheat paste powder and found that Amazon UK have this available

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amaco-Vario.../dp/B005D7BEFU

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2017, 10:10 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

I also have contacted a paper expert I know at a specialty Japanese paper shop in Toronto. I have asked for their recommendations on papers that can be used for chine colle that would accept watercolour wash. I will share this info. once I have received a reply email back from them.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2017, 06:52 AM

Great stuff, thanks for the link, I ordered a box of paste. I spend so much money on experimenting! I'm sure I'm not alone with this...

That's really nice of you to ask your paper expert. I have some Gampi on the way, so I'll report back too. It's ink (not printing ink, coloured pen and ink type) I use by the way, not watercolour, but I'm guessing it's the same.

Thanks again.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2017, 02:11 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Here is some advice I received by email today regarding colouring and tinting of papers for chine colle. I will also post the PDF document with the type of paper that was suggested

Quote:
Hello Brian

Thank you for contacting us.

We do have quite a number of papers that you could use for tinting and chine-colle.

Just about any paper will buckle when you apply wet media, and most will retain some pucker once dry, but the pucker should come out once the paper is used for chine-colle. Your paper should, however, be able to withstand being soaked with media without falling apart. All papers are weakest when wet, but good kozo papers will have a decent amount of wet strength: what you want are papers with at least 50% kozo fibre and preferably more. I do suggest kozo over gampi for tinting as gampi has a tendency to shrink a lot as it dries, though gampi is often favoured by printmakers for chine-colle because of its extra smooth surface.

I’ve attached a list with some suggestions of entry-level and mid-range papers that should work well for tinting and chine-colle. The first list contains some details about the papers, and the second list contains the prices. We do have quite a few other papers you could use, but I wanted to give you an idea of the sheets sizes and prices involved.

Last edited by bridog : 01-12-2017 at 02:13 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2017, 02:16 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Here is the PDF file with recommended papers for tinting for chine colle
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Chine colle suggestions, details.pdf (105.7 KB, 30 views)

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2017, 03:15 PM

You have been more than helpful - thank you so much Brian!!

Gampi I ordered has arrived, but in that case I'll not paint but will keep white (buff), I also have Kozo, coloured, but did experiment with painting some lighter pieces, it worked but didn't stick too well so I'll try the powder/paste when it arrives.

All the best,
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2017, 09:59 AM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

I reread the posts in this thread as I was not sure what and how the chine colle application was being used. You mentioned running it through a press so I am assuming some type of intaglio technique is being used?
It sounds like there might be a few variables contributing to how well the paper is being bonded. Yes wait and see if the wheat paste resolves the issue. If you are still experiencing problems maybe if I and others were to know a few more details such as roller pressure, the base sheet paper you are using, moisture content if paper is being soaked, etc.. might provide a bit more insight to assist in helping out. Keep us posted!

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2017, 03:09 PM

Sorry, you are right, I didn't even say what I was doing!
A year or so ago I got a Fome table press and experimented with drypoint. My prints are silly little animals (but I like them ) very simple.

I'm trying to experiment with adding colour. I have added colour after printing which so far had the best results, but I am trying to add the colour by painting some pieces of chine colle.

You asked for more details. I've just been using printmaking paper that's lying around so not sure what it is, but will try somerset smooth tomorrow. I also think I'm soaking the paper too much as I'm using Caligo safewash and it looks like the paper is too wet the prints aren't sharp. I'm using a Fome press, but it's infuriating me at the moment!! Last year it was fine, but it keeps slipping now I've just sprayed the moving parts with WD40.

many thanks.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2017, 03:16 PM

ps, I've been to your Etsy shop. Your prints are lovely! I really like the colours on the Swan. I can see you use watercolour after printing.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2017, 06:17 AM

Hoorah, press is fixed! The WD40 worked a treat. I used no newsprint, just paper and plate to avoid any slipping.

The somerset paper is working well and I'm only soaking for about 10-15. I think I was printing too loose as I didn't want the press to slip which is why the Kozo paper didn't stick either.