WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2016, 04:31 PM

A question about casein

Boy,I haven't been on WetCanvas in a good while so hello to all. Apologies in advance I have a rotten space bar on laptop
On casein paints and their application.

I made a Jerry's order of casein paints, 2 reds, 2 blues , 2 yellows black and white...plus a bottle of emulsion. I have watched up on James Gurney vids and several others but haven't heard much mention on one or two topics.

Can casein be spritzed with water while working when I get slowed down and should it be? Is it better to use some emulsion with water for thinning the consistency or with emulsion added for that as well. I had read off a user review on Blick site that using the emulsion works well for fine detail work rather than water alone.

Any help/thoughts on this area will be appreciated as I'd like to begin to try to have something going before holiday season if poss.

Plus thanks for all those showing their works...its an inspiration to me.

Darn it, just read there is a thread for these questions!!!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2016, 04:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
Salisbury, Maryland

Hails from United States
Re: A question about casein

I find that water makes Casein handle vastly differently, which is fine when you are doing washy stuff, but when I want better control over my paint I like the emulsion or straight from the tube.

Casein can be spritzed with water to keep it moist, but often will change the handling of the pile of paint from there forward.

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2016, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast

I have been spraying my paints with water, and it works nicely. Casein is one of the most underrated paints. I just started a few weeks ago and I love it (look up videos by James Gurney for inspiration)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2016, 10:21 PM

I want to use the emulsion but I find that it makes the casein slightly glossy, which for me destroys the whole point of using casein. Maybe I have a bad bottle, it's the old triangular shiva branded one.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2016, 12:28 AM
Enthusiast

an old art shop guy who knows a few casein painters told me "just use water". I find that misting the paints now and then works fine. James Gurney lays out the paint from the tube on top of moist paper (check him out on youtube)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2016, 04:17 PM
Lord of the Arts
Salisbury, Maryland

Hails from United States

The Casein emulsion may have a different formulation from just the casein binder, and is good to know that it has a slightly shiny result. I was unaware of that.

I do as Trond mentions, just mist it occasionally and lay out my paint on a stay wet palette. At the end of a session I just put a lid on my palette and leave it till tomorrow, come back and usually the paint has turned into little wet piles, but the paint is still good, just not out of the tube texture anymore, more like fluid acrylics in texture.

Delofasht.deviantart.com